The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 6.0

I might be of the minority here, but Weiss would help a lot. Personally, I think we need to drop Kesler into the 3rd line centre position as the team's checking centre, but also able to put up good offensive numbers. Weiss fills in the 2nd line centre position.

What would it take to get him? Not sure, but his value is definitely at the lowest point that its been in years. Buy low....

As usual you are trying to hammer a circle into a square.

The problems I see with your proposal:

- you are undervaluing Schneider and Raymond

- you appear to be disregarding the fact that Weiss is looking for a significant raise on the 3.1 he's been making.

- Florida moves two centers in that deal - I doubt they like the balance of that.

- Florida adds a second young goaltender for some reason.

- let's face it - you can't speak for Florida.

:picard:

Raymond is currently 5th on our team for Cost Per Point. Only Schroeder, Kassian, Burrows, and Hansen are over performing him to salary cap. Raymond is currently worth 5 times what Ovechkin is worth, why the hell would you trade him? There is literally no player we can replace Raymond with at his salary. None. Zero. Zip. Raymond is worth more then Weiss and 5 picks.

Weiss has no place on this team. Just because he is available for trade doesn't mean we want him. We would have to put Manny on the LTIR and drop Schroeder or Lappy for him. Seems very stupid as both those players are currently hgihly performing based on their salary cap. We don't need to trade to make our team worse.

Florida doesn't want Luongo? Yeah and we don't want the Sedins.

Bjugstad isn't for trade. He is one of a small group of about 5 players in the NHL that can play like he does. Kassian is one of the others. He isn't coming here.

I realize it's an impulse thing to correct people, but my point was that three of the teams rumoured to be trade partners have given up the most goals in the NHL - I thought that fairly clearly excluded Toronto - as did the point about watching the playoffs. Where I was mistaken - the Isles (also rumoured to be a trade partner, but I was thinking Washington) have given up 64 goals - while Philly (66) and Florida (65) lead the league.

Yeah, Washington only has 55 goals against, so not great but not bottom 3. I wasn't sure if you were doing a GAA for the goalies, GA/G (which would be Buf, NYI, Fla), or what - but no worries, I was just going to a cheap laugh at the expense of Leafs fans.

You're point is still valid anyway, there are definitely teams with issues around how many times they've been scored on this year where Luongo would be an improvement.

I think win need a blockbuster trade to make this team significantly better.

Moving around 3rd and 4th liners is just not going to cut it and not going to make any kind of real impact.

Packaging Luongo with Booth will bring significant returns and seems the only way to get value for Luongo. Luongo traded by himself just won’t return very much.

I’d look at moving Luongo with Booth and a 1st round pick or prospect if needed... I did say BLOCKBUSTER.

To get Ovechkin and maybe Neuvirth from Washington.

IMO... we need a goal scorer badly. Sure defense needs help too but I’d say the primary need is an elite goal scorer.

Washington needs to make major changes... their season might be over and they have salary cap issues - Ovechkin costs too much for them. Ovechkin is similar to Luongo in the sense that both have run out of favour and need to be moved to a new city to get a fresh start.

Ovechkin getting a fresh start on a Stanley Cup contender in hockey crazy Vancouver, might be just what he needs to get his game back on track. You know Ovechkin’s days are numbered in Washington... why can’t the Canucks be the one to get him.

Well... I’m just throwing it out there... if you were going to Package Luongo with X-player... what would you want back in return?

Moving around 3rd and 4th liners is just not going to cut it and not going to make any kind of real impact.

Packaging Luongo with Booth will bring significant returns and seems the only way to get value for Luongo. Luongo traded by himself just won’t return very much.

I’d look at moving Luongo with Booth and a 1st round pick or prospect if needed... I did say BLOCKBUSTER.

IMO... we need a goal scorer badly. Sure defense needs help too but I’d say the primary need is an elite goal scorer.

Washington needs to make major changes... their season might be over and they have salary cap issues - Ovechkin costs too much for them. Ovechkin is similar to Luongo in the sense that both have run out of favour and need to be moved to a new city to get a fresh start.

Ovechkin getting a fresh start on a Stanley Cup contender in hockey crazy Vancouver, might be just what he needs to get his game back on track. You know Ovechkin’s days are numbered in Washington... why can’t the Canucks be the one to get him.

Well... I’m just throwing it out there... if you were going to Package Luongo with X-player... what would you want back in return?

Packaging Luongo with Booth will bring significant returns and seems the only way to get value for Luongo. Luongo traded by himself just won't return very much.

I'd look at moving Luongo with Booth and a 1st round pick or prospect if needed... I did say BLOCKBUSTER.

IMO... we need a goal scorer badly. Sure defense needs help too but I'd say the primary need is an elite goal scorer.

Ovechkin getting a fresh start on a Stanley Cup contender in hockey crazy Vancouver, might be just what he needs to get his game back on track. You know Ovechkin's days are numbered in Washington... why can't the Canucks be the one to get him.

Well... I'm just throwing it out there... if you were going to Package Luongo with X-player... what would you want back in return?

Packaging Luongo with Booth will bring significant returns and seems the only way to get value for Luongo. Luongo traded by himself just won't return very much.

I'd look at moving Luongo with Booth and a 1st round pick or prospect if needed... I did say BLOCKBUSTER.

IMO... we need a goal scorer badly. Sure defense needs help too but I'd say the primary need is an elite goal scorer.

Ovechkin getting a fresh start on a Stanley Cup contender in hockey crazy Vancouver, might be just what he needs to get his game back on track. You know Ovechkin's days are numbered in Washington... why can't the Canucks be the one to get him.

Well... I'm just throwing it out there... if you were going to Package Luongo with X-player... what would you want back in return?

For what it's worth Eklund is reporting the the Flyers are trying to aquire Dustin Byfuglien from the Jets, I doubt he's even available. If he were available that is the one player I'd move heaven and earth to aquire if I was MG. Not sure how this ties in with a Luongo trade, other than offering him to the Flyers in a three way, but I wanted to put this somewhere without starting a new thread. If he were available and MG didn't make an effort I'd be very disappointed. I doubt Luongo would agree to go to the Jets, not that they'd want him.

I've spent a few months in Ontario and just came back home last week. From Toronto to Sudbury, I tell you Leafs fans are extremely humble when it comes to the Leafs. So much so that I got to like the Leafs a little more. They're suffering hard. They know what they don't have. Conversely, my time in Montreal was miserable. Habs fans are the equivalent of what one would find in a toilet after a hard night of drinking. They make Vancouver fans look like angelic figures from heaven.

This would never happen, but I'll take it one step further just because it's fun to play crazy GM for a day. What if Washington would take this package:

To Washington:

Luongo

Booth

1st in 2013

1st in 2014

To Vancouver:

Ovechkin

What a fun team this would be to watch :)

Ovechkin is a 9.54 million cap hit until 2021 - not going to, nor should it happen.

If you want the definition of a virtually unmoveable contract - that one is up there with Dipietro's imo.

Not a good deal for Luongo alone, let alone throwing in a top 6 and a couple firsts...

As for the idea that adding 3rd or 4th line players won't make any difference - teams that win championships tend to have the best third and fourth lines. Imo there is room to upgrade the fourth line and the depth at center - wouldn't be knocking the idea of adding those types of players - they can make a huge difference.

Ovechkin is a 9.54 million cap hit until 2021 - not going to, nor should it happen.

If you want the definition of a virtually unmoveable contract - that one is up there with Dipietro's imo.

Not a good deal for Luongo alone, let alone throwing in a top 6 and a couple firsts...

As for the idea that adding 3rd or 4th line players won't make any difference - teams that win championships tend to have the best third and fourth lines.  Imo there is room to upgrade the fourth line and the depth at center - wouldn't be knocking the idea of adding those types of players - they can make a huge difference.

For what it's worth Eklund is reporting the the Flyers are trying to aquire Dustin Byfuglien from the Jets, I doubt he's even available. If he were available that is the one player I'd move heaven and earth to aquire if I was MG. Not sure how this ties in with a Luongo trade, other than offering him to the Flyers in a three way, but I wanted to put this somewhere without starting a new thread. If he were available and MG didn't make an effort I'd be very disappointed. I doubt Luongo would agree to go to the Jets, not that they'd want him.

Archived