The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 6.0

Nice deal for Van. What side does Reinhart play? I am not seeing many reports on K-Conn this year. His stats have fallen off but usually that isn't the whole story. My take is that the Wolves are not a good situation this year. I also like the idea of a WHL and BC boy coming home to play.

I don't think the Islanders are going to be our trading partners come wednesday.

toronto, maybe washington are probably the only two teams willing to trade with us (depending on MG's demands for Lu)

I think Nino would be more available than Reinhart. And as much as we would love some of those young players from the Isles, they seem to be building through those young players so I'm not sure how much they want to part with them. It depends on how desperate the Isles are for goaltending.

I think if a deal were to happening with the Isles for a player like a Strome or Nino or Reinhart, we would have to take DiPietro's buried contract back. If you think our goaltending cap is bad, just think how it would look with Luongo and DiPietro on their payroll.

I think Nino would be more available than Reinhart. And as much as we would love some of those young players from the Isles, they seem to be building through those young players so I'm not sure how much they want to part with them. It depends on how desperate the Isles are for goaltending.

I think if a deal were to happening with the Isles for a player like a Strome or Nino or Reinhart, we would have to take DiPietro's buried contract back. If you think our goaltending cap is bad, just think how it would look with Luongo and DiPietro on their payroll.

If Gillis is looking for a 3rd line center for Luongo come this deadline, I don't believe Isles would have what we want. Cizikas is a nice player, but I think he's too small for the role that we would want him to play.

I'm not sure why people think we need a 3rd line C...........when Kes comes back, I would think AV will keep the Ray-Schr-Hansen line together.........they have given me no reason to think that they won't be a solid line from here on out.

Again I agree. It takes some serious guts to put a Selke defensive center like Kesler on 3C duty but it is in fact the most important forward position of the playoffs. Kesler could be that part the Canucks need and don't have. With Schroeder as 2C, the Canucks gain the effectiveness of Hansen, Raymond and the best third line in the playoffs by virtue of having Kesler on as 3C.

Put a non-passing Kesler as 2C and lose Hansen, Raymond and a super effective third line.

This way, there is even less urgency to trade Luongo for a mediocre return that won't pan out come short time, the Canucks retain an excellent insurance policy in case Schneider is in over his head, and the returns for either Schneider or Luongo in a summer deal far outweigh a deadline return in a non-goaltender market.

I'd say it's a statement of fact in response to someone who presumes to speak for Luongo - not "selective" at all. No one here really knows who Luongo would waive for. I see no reason to believe that Toronto or Washington or even Philadelphia would be more attractive to Luongo that Luong Island... The Islanders have by far the best prospects of any of those teams, and their young roster has them on the cusp of a playoff birth. Anyone care to explain what makes the Islanders so unattractive?

I agree with you.. I think acquiring a clowe or someone would be much more useful to us in the playoffs. Someone that will make a different impact. Clowe brings playoff nastiness that I'm sure would rub off on kassian and others.

Our team is already really good defensively, without kesler, just look how we're winning games. All on great defense and keeping shots to the outside... We still have a selke winner to add to the team

IMO making some noise this year in the playoffs is not going to come from a 3rd line defensive centre. We're already good at shutting good teams down. Making some noise is going to come from adding an element we don't have, an intangible like the nastiness of Ryane Clowe that rubs off on the team or a pure goal scorer, sniper like gaborik.. I like the idea of adding nastiness because he would come much cheaper as a ufa.

Clowe Kesler Kassian

Ray schray Hansen

Ray kesler Hansen

Higgins bozak kassian

Close call but I think I like the clowe lineup better

Archived