The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 6.0

another laugher by florida's goaltending- why did they put Markstrom down? he had .915 sv%??

if Fla had Luongo, than they'd be in a playoff spot.

it is not like a 1st and Bjugstad are going to get Fla into the playoffs anytime soon...buuuuut Luongo would- and that is where he wants to be-an all star that wants to play in Florida??? that is refreshing why doesn't Tallon jump on that??

a cashflow problem??

what a joke of a franchise

Luongo and Cannauton

for

Bjugstad and Petrovic, 2nd 2013

I don't know if we'd need to give up both picks (maybe I'm a little biased) but I'd probably do that deal.

Nope, not overvaluing Ovi at all. In fact, I said the proposed deal earlier (Lu, Booth, two 1sts) was waaaayyy too much. Why even give up three of those pieces if his value has dropped so much? But then what incentive does Washington have to deal him for a lesser package, especially if his value could return?

And we don't have to take a cap problem back to move Luongo. Look at the Thomas to the Islanders deal, they took him so they could benefit from his cap hit which was a hinderance to Boston. If you want to argue that's only because they don't have to actually pay him, I'd agree, but then I'd easily disagree with your suggestion that they would trade for Ovechkin.

Besides, Milbury's long gone from the Isles, and if Ovi continues on the pace he's had the last few years, he won't be worth his contract to get good return, no matter if we win a cup or not. I don't see him suddenly putting us on his back and carrying us to the cup when he hasn't been able to elevate Washington's chances even when the rest of the team was playing well.

I'm realistic enough to know we can't get a guarantee that a trade for a certain player will win us a cup. I do want a pretty good fit for our team though (which Ovi isn't) and at least the promise of good future value from the deal. That could be in the form of a roster player to keep for at least the next couple years, or a pick/prospect we can use for future to continue to be competitive.

You don't just give up an asset like Luongo or 1st round picks unless you have a significant chance of good value in return.

OK if (Lu, Booth, two 1sts) is waaaay to much... I think you are overvaluing Booth too... he is the weak link on the second line...he costs to much. one way of another he is gone next year anyways. So then what would be a fair trade in your eyes using LU + what? Even if you wouldn't pull off the trade for Ovechkin.

What incentive does Washington have to trade Ovechkin ... Could it be they want to be improve there team and make the playoffs Ovechkin era in Washington is coming to an end. His value will only return if he regains his old form.

Don't give Milbury all the credit for Islanders stupid moves...they aren't done being stupid.

I agree with you Ovechkin might not be a good fit, he's going to make things uncomfortable but I think that what this teams needs a little of. They are too comfortable and need to be pushed.

How is getting Ovechkin for Luongo +++ not getting a significant return?

The Canucks problem is scoring... if you agree... how should they fix that problem for this year / for the playoffs?

I can appreciate you don't like and want Ovechkin but something needs to be done for this year... not a future prospect

What snipers would you or anyone else here on the forum suggest the Canucks should target?

Booth is the weak link on the second line? The non-passing center is the weak link on the second line as well as Raymond. In fact, we have no second line to speak of. We have the Kesler show and that show is all about diving and hogging the puck for as long as possible.

Your bit on Ovechkin is great though. Again, for Luongo, I would certainly do Ovechkin. Then again, if they want Schneider, all the better. Ovechkin is the type of scoring winger that could do some serious damage for the Canucks. No doubt.

That said, this defense by committee is now known to not work properly. So I suggest yet another trade:

WPG

Edler

+

VAN

Byfuglien

That puts Vancouver over the top.

D. SEDIN - H. SEDIN - BURROWS

OVECHKIN - KESLER - KASSIAN

HAMHUIS - BIEKSA

GARRISON - BYFUGLIEN

Might even try for the playoffs...

D. SEDIN - H. SEDIN - BURROWS

OVECHKIN - KESLER - BYFUGLIEN

HAMHUIS - BIEKSA

GARRISON - BALLARD

Trade 1=

To Vancouver:

John Carlson, Kuznetsov, Neuvirth, Brouwer, 1st round pick

To Washington:

Luongo, Edler, Any cap players coming back

Trade 2=

To Vancouver:

Derick Brassard

To Columbus:

Mason Raymond, 2nd rnd pick

Lineup:

Sedin Sedin Burrows

Booth Kesler Brouwer

Higgins Brassard Hansen

Weise Lapierre Kassian

Garrison Carlson

Hamhuis Bieksa

Ballard Tanev

Schneider

1- Nucks get a mobile Right handed dman that can carry the puck like Erhoff did

2- Edler is very flatfooted. Has great size and skill but does not play mean. And cannot pivot and move quickly.

3- Big 3rd line center that has been having issues in Columbus

4- Veteran and reliable right winger in Brouwer that can move up/down lineup

5- Next year, can move ballard and not resign higgins for cap space and to allow jensen a chance

6- Kuznetsov is a question mark for coming over to the NHL but is a can't miss talent

Honestly at the start of the year I was happy with having two goalies and thought it would make us better having a strong tandem but it's evident mg MUST trade either one of them in the next few weeks.

For IMMEDIATE help. No prospects. Immediate help. Both goalies are highly touted and we need a major impact player in return or mg has to be fired.

Archived