The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 6.0

If you look at all the teams that could potentially have interest in Luongo ( Toronto, Florida, Washington, Tampa Bay, even Columbus) they all have one thing in common : They all at least have young goaltenders even if they are not playing up to par currently. Reimer, Scrivens, lindback, Holtby, Neuvirth, Markstrom, Mason.....

But where does that leave the Islanders??? They have nothing moving forward. Nilsson, Poulin? These guys aren't the answer. Dipietro is almost 32 years old and still hasn't found his game! It's time for them to cut their loses. I'm not saying they have to get Luongo, but out of all the teams mentioned they should have the most interest.

If they don't get a goalie in a trade they're going to end up having to completely overpay an average goalie just to show interest as an unrestricted free agent.

I think that the terrible start has pushed Tallon even more in the direction of patience - he doesn't see his current roster as a realistic contender, and he's not going to get hasty and compromise their future, when it's much brighter than the present, and the team hasn't been healthy or performing - I think it's even harder to part with assets when they are in the middle of a setback.

If you look at all the teams that could potentially have interest in Luongo ( Toronto, Florida, Washington, Tampa Bay, even Columbus) they all have one thing in common : They all at least have young goaltenders even if they are not playing up to par currently. Reimer, Scrivens, lindback, Holtby, Neuvirth, Markstrom, Mason.....

But where does that leave the Islanders??? They have nothing moving forward. Nilsson, Poulin? These guys aren't the answer. Dipietro is almost 32 years old and still hasn't found his game! It's time for them to cut their loses. I'm not saying they have to get Luongo, but out of all the teams mentioned they should have the most interest.

If they don't get a goalie in a trade they're going to end up having to completely overpay an average goalie just to show interest as an unrestricted free agent.

Dipietro's buyout is actually closer to 23 million, not that that's small change, but if Snow was hoping to shed that contract I think he'd have to give a lot more plum of a deal than simplyTavares while receiving Schneider, Schroeder, Ballard and a pick in return. He'd be out of his mind if he didn't jump at that deal and I see simply no way in the world that Vancouver parts with Schneider in that scenario, let alone a blockbuster package (including a first) - I wouldn't cut that deal for Tavares, let alone take Dipietro in addition.

It's possible that someone effectively takes Dipietro in exchange for some additional serious young talent from the Isles, but it's difficult to put a player value on a 23 million buyout. Imo Tavares and Dipietro for Luongo is probably not enough to make Aquillini write a cheque like that...the Isles are between a rock and a hard place where Dipietro is concerned - they are going to have to pay big regardless of the form it takes. I think they'd actually have to add more value to make it happen, but that's just my assessment.

I totally agree, except...last year was their best year in a long time...it was all veteran players too and in 3 years when Bjugstad, Shore, Huberdeau, Howden, Petrovic, Gubranson and Markstrom are older, non of those good veterans will be around and if they are still around they'll be really old.

Ex: edmonton oilers- 5 allstar players, no one else.

FLA doesn't even have 5 all star prospects so if they do not bring in quality guys, their young players will inherit a junk team and the team will just continue to be junk.

they need to 1. Resign weiss, 2. Fix their Goaltending - Bjugstad, a 1st and Goc...does that really hurt FLA when their future centers would be Weiss, Huberdeau, Shore, Matthias???

they don't need more 1st rounder draft picks, they need more solid NHL players.

I don't disagree at all - I've been proposing deals like Goc, Petrovic and Shore for a while, and they do have a bottleneck of prospects, but they've also had a lot of injuries this year that made it hard for them to part with anyone from their roster. I still think a deal with Florida is a possibility, but tanking thus far doesn't simply make it easier or more urgent for them to cut a deal.

I totally agree, except...last year was their best year in a long time...it was all veteran players too and in 3 years when Bjugstad, Shore, Huberdeau, Howden, Petrovic, Gubranson and Markstrom are older, non of those good veterans will be around and if they are still around they'll be really old.

Ex: edmonton oilers- 5 allstar players, no one else.

FLA doesn't even have 5 all star prospects so if they do not bring in quality guys, their young players will inherit a junk team and the team will just continue to be junk.

they need to 1. Resign weiss, 2. Fix their Goaltending - Bjugstad, a 1st and Goc...does that really hurt FLA when their future centers would be Weiss, Huberdeau, Shore, Matthias???

they don't need more 1st rounder draft picks, they need more solid NHL players.

It looks like Florida has given up on Jose an Clemmensen. I guess Jose and his .893 SP and 3.37 GAA and Clemmensen and his .837 SP and 4.32 GAA, are not cutting it. The Panthers called up Markstrom as a last ditch effort to get some NHL goaltending.

Lu, Garrison, 2nd

For

Gudbranson, cap dump, goalie

It looks like Florida has given up on Jose an Clemmensen. I guess Jose and his .893 SP and 3.37 GAA and Clemmensen and his .837 SP and 4.32 GAA, are not cutting it. The Panthers called up Markstrom as a last ditch effort to get some NHL goaltending.

Lu, Garrison, 2nd

For

Gudbranson, cap dump, goalie

I wouldn't write the Isles off - they just went out and snatched Thomas' contract to manipulate the cap floor.

They're also spending 2.75 on Nabokov who is a UFA at season's end - Luongo is actually only 2.6 million more of cap hit than Nabokov, so regardless of what they manage with Dipietro, I don't think it's unreasonable to see them having interest, particularly with so much talent developing in the system and poised for a move to a new arena.

Nabokov could make some sense as he'd give us a solid veteran backup until season's end, and then is a UFA, at which point we run with Lack next season assuming he's healthy.

Luo for Nelson, Pokka, 1st and throw in Nabokov?

With Tavares, Strome, Nielsen, and Bailey, imo Nelson is a very reasonable expectation. Pokka is a young Finnish right side prospect. Not terribly interested in their roster players... perhaps Okposo or Cizikas? A little difficult to find the right parts there.

I wouldn't write the Isles off - they just went out and snatched Thomas' contract to manipulate the cap floor.

They're also spending 2.75 on Nabokov who is a UFA at season's end - Luongo is actually only 2.6 million more of cap hit than Nabokov, so regardless of what they manage with Dipietro, I don't think it's unreasonable to see them having interest, particularly with so much talent developing in the system and poised for a move to a new arena.

Nabokov could make some sense as he'd give us a solid veteran backup until season's end, and then is a UFA, at which point we run with Lack next season assuming he's healthy.

Luo for Nelson, Pokka, 1st and throw in Nabokov?

With Tavares, Strome, Nielsen, and Bailey, imo Nelson is a very reasonable expectation. Pokka is a young Finnish right side prospect. Not terribly interested in their roster players... perhaps Okposo or Cizikas? A little difficult to find the right parts there.

Hamonic is extremely valuable. He's better than John Carlson IMO, I doubt they trade him for Lu.

If they were seriously interested. (Which I can't see unless we take Dipietro's contract) We should look for something along the lines of: Niederreiter, Nielsen, Nabokov.

That would be great for us, an A prospect, a great center that would help us now, and a veteran goaltender that we can have confidence in. Although they would likely want to exchange Dipietro with Nabokov, which is a no go for me right now. And I doubt the organization is keen on it either.

It is a long way to go to get there, but we've had CH101 pick up the slack (HUFFY was trying for a while there too) with his fairly constant suggestions of Schneider trades. I think you're right though, maybe 7.0, but not much more than that. Here's hoping a trade comes and we get a great return before it comes to that though!

Archived