The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 6.0

I don't know about that neccisarily. Nilsson is a very good prospect and Poulin has already looked great. Either has a chance at the starting job really.

But there is likely 0 chance they trade Tavares honestly. We are talking about a guy who will be a top 5 player in this league (possibly top 3) for a long, long time.

If we wanted any serious shot at him, my guess is that they would want Kesler, Edler and probably+ or else Kesler, Luongo+ and for us to take on Dipietro. Tavares is one of the most valuable players in the league, especially to the Islanders who are building there entire franchise around him both on and off the ice.

I think that the terrible start has pushed Tallon even more in the direction of patience - he doesn't see his current roster as a realistic contender, and he's not going to get hasty and compromise their future, when it's much brighter than the present, and the team hasn't been healthy or performing - I think it's even harder to part with assets when they are in the middle of a setback.

I don't know about that neccisarily. Nilsson is a very good prospect and Poulin has already looked great. Either has a chance at the starting job really.

But there is likely 0 chance they trade Tavares honestly. We are talking about a guy who will be a top 5 player in this league (possibly top 3) for a long, long time.

If we wanted any serious shot at him, my guess is that they would want Kesler, Edler and probably+ or else Kesler, Luongo+ and for us to take on Dipietro. Tavares is one of the most valuable players in the league, especially to the Islanders who are building there entire franchise around him both on and off the ice.

I agree. Tallon is enough of a hockey man to realize he is a few years away from serious contention. As long as his fan base can handle another lost season he should hang on to what he has. This might not be an accurate assessment and he might be forced into a deal.

I feel T-Bay is a likely partner as their roster is more ready to challenge. Their core is getting older.

The Capitals are an org that might make an irrational move as the clock tics on their GM's tenure. Does a Lou deal turn that club around? Whatever the problem there it goes beyond their goal tending.

I haven't written off SJ either as they sink in the standings. Their core group is aging as well. Could better goal tending pull their season out?

although i would much rather trade lulongo, i would actually do that move haha. i would only trade schneids for another future young superstar, if not then luongo is the one gone. we gotta get rid of a goalie anyways so kesler and a 1st for tavares? sure i'll take it. just imagine if we had tavares 2 weeks ago when kesler was out. i love kes but tavares will be a top 5 player in the league for the majority of his career..... kudos ch101, you finally got me but it will never happen

i would do it

islanders would probably not

kesler would probably not accept

I don't think so. They've only scored 10 goals in their last 8 games - doubt Luo could help them there - their goaltending has actually been pretty good. I don't think they have the depth or character to sustain the start they had. I think they should face the music - they are prospect poor, lack depth, and their core is, well, if I were them, Joe would be on the block.

Ok - I have the day off, so I'll waste 5 minutes responding.

I was curious what the hell you meant by trading a river, but now that you've editted it, the idea that you were giving away a river may have been more appropriate.

I'm not surprised that you think Tavares is worth a top notch NHL starter (oh that's right, in your opinion Schneider has been propped up by Luo from the bench), a Selke winner and a 1st round pick.

Tavares has scored .85 ppg in his young career. - and he was the NHL's first star last week - that ought to be enough to convince a team to sell the farm (or a river) for him. But he's also a player who gets the highest percentage of offensive zone starts on his team, all the favourable matchups they can manage, gets 23 minutes a game, gets 70% of their powerplay time, does not kill a whiff of penalties, doesn't block a shot, does not hit anything - a prototypical one way forward. With either Hank or Tavares on the second line, those dynamics change considerably, as do their numbers.

As good as Tavares is, suggesting that he is worth Kesler, Schneider and a first is an insane over-valuation, or a ridiculous undervaluation of the Canucks (judging by your reductive comments about Schneider and Kesler, I'll take it that the latter is the case).

For that price, I want a perenial, hands down Norris no brainer.

cmon oldnews, i think your grossly undervaluing JT here. he should be the equivelant of a norris winner in a couple years. We're talking about a guy that has a potential ceiling of best player in the league when he reaches his prime. Developed under us, he may actually reach it.

obviously that package would be hard to swallow (no homo lol) but imo getting a 22yr old john tavares would be a no brainer.

Archived