The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 6.0

Luongo is as good as any other goalie when it comes to handling pressure.

Does it really get any bigger than your NHL city hosting the olmypics? Being the starting goalie... out playing arguably the best goalie in the history of hockey to win the starting job (brodeur hasek and Roy r top three in my books at no particular order)

the goaltending was the difference in the game vs Russia early on and luongo held the fort. Then again he came up big in the highest pressure situation it vs bitter rival USA. Give me a break the guy feeds off pressure situations... no goalie has EVER been under the pressure he was in the Olympics and the 2010 hawks series than luongo was and he came out with flying colours

Fold under pressure is bull ... he's been placed in so many pressure situations u expect him to dominate 100% of the time? No

Last I checked Roy, brodeur, hasek, giggy, ward etc didn't have their teams absolutely fold in front of them in series they had success in. Luongo is a generational talent.

Not going to argue that Luongo is a great pressure goalie, but I will say that bleacherreport is pretty much a joke of a source to most of us in the hockey world, and if Luongo is going to be judged and dismissed as a mediocre playoff goaltender, the sum total of his performances are probably what should be judged. I would argue that he's not a notorious "choker", he's just not consistently stellar (then again, all the best have had their inconsistencies).

Luongo - lifetime .919 sv % in the regular season, .916 sv% lifetime in the playoffs. Better competition - understandable very slight difference.

Brodeur - lifetime .913 sv% in the regular season, .919 sv% lifetime in the playoffs. Steps his game up a bit (and played behind Scott Stevens, Scott Neidermeyer, etc), but a fairly negligible difference.

Patrick Roy - lifetime .910 sv % in the regular season, .918 sv% lifetime in the playoffs. Also stepped up his game slightly in the playoffs, but again, .002 edge lifetime over Luongo, also played behind bumbs like Larry Robinson and Chris Chelios.

Anyhow, two of the greatest perenial playoff goaltenders of the modern era, hold very slight advantages over Luongo, and played in the pre-cap era, for literal dynasties.

I personally am in favour of keeping Schneider - I'm blinded by the youth culture and the unknown ceiling of young potential, but let's not get to carried away making light of Luongo's talent. I think people will look back upon the current era and judge players differently, simply because it's been 15 years since a Champion repeated, whereas in the 15 years from 75 -90, there were three dynasties, and then nearly a fourth in the Penguins. The Red Wings and Devils are the closest franchises in the modern era, but the Red Wings managed to repeat once, while the Devils didn't. Staying competitive is as close as it gets to dynasty in today's NHL (particularly post-cap), and the Canucks are only a few years down that path. I think when the context of these goaltenders achievements are considered, it's not such a stretch to consider Luongo a legitimate hall of fame candidate.

Archived