The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 6.0

Garrison has been finding his stride for finding when and where to get shots. I think they've been utilizing him defensively because he's sound there (and we've had some issues with that) and as he gets comfortable, they'll start to use him on the PP again too. The PP did have a little more success switching to the 4 forward and 1 D setup, so I don't fault them for running with that - and Schroeder being used there for extra minutes when playing on the 4th otherwise has looked pretty decent.

I do like the chemistry Higgins/Raymond/Hansen have shown, but Raymond in the faceoff dot has been dismal. Increased competition coming up to and in the playoffs does leave me worrying about how successful they'll continue to be, however. A deal with one of our goalies could greatly improve our depth in the top 9 (preferably in the top 6) and I hope that we do see something even if it's only a trade for a more reliable faceoff man who can move between offensive and defensive minutes.

I still a Luongo deal as most likely, with us keep Schneider for the future but mitigating our return a little. Especially since we'd have to see Gillis approach Luongo about staying if he was entertaining the alternative, I just don't think he's had anything of enough worth to really entertain moving Schneider.

Moving Schneider for the right return wouldn't be an issue for me though, same with most Canucks fans I'd guess. We'd have Luongo still and then Lack and Cannata coming up look promising. We'd need that return to be significant though to consider it. I'm talking someone like Larsson or Huberdeau significant, even if there is some value added on either side to make it work.

I have no issue with the first pp unit, or using four forwards on it (it hasn't cost any shorthanded goals...yet) , and I like the fact they are getting Schroeder quality ice time there. I suppose the idea is to give Garrison the shooter's role on the second unit, but it's not translating into many opportunities for him - a couple minutes a game of pp time... he seems like a weapon that warrants more.

I don't think there is any intention of keeping Raymond at center any longer than necessary, but as a short term fix, he has been outstanding imo and that line has more than made up for losing possession off the draw.

I think the Canucks should poach Steckel out of Toronto (was envious when they signed him as a UFA) - if there aren't any larger deals on the horizon - he's too useful to be buried as their 13th man/5th C, and would be a good fit to replace Manny, given AV's desire to maintain a strictly d-zone start forward unit. Steckel's a UFA and I doubt he re-signs there anyway if they're not going to use him. Even if giving Pinizzotto a shot is in the works, it would be worth it imo to have a guy like Steckel.

Steckel for a 6th.

I guess we'll see how our lineup shakes out once we see a bit more of Pinizzotto in Chicago. He's had a good couple games so far from what I can tell, and we'll need to know if he can play against NHL level competition (and stay healthy) or if we do need to upgrade. Gillis has to be looking at just how well everyone is working and what might need upgrading given that we have some trade pieces we can use coming up to the deadline.

Moving Schneider for the right return wouldn't be an issue for me though, same with most Canucks fans I'd guess. We'd have Luongo still and then Lack and Cannata coming up look promising. We'd need that return to be significant though to consider it. I'm talking someone like Larsson or Huberdeau significant, even if there is some value added on either side to make it work.

Agreed, I'd even be inclined to trade Schneider for maybe Boone Jenner and Columbus 1st.

Doubt they're gonna give up their first in this draft but I would say that would be a sufficient enough return. That would make me say it brightens up our future enough that giving up a longer period of stellar goaltending is worth it.

Solid prospect like Jenner and a pick that has a chance to be in the top 5... Not if we have to swap our first though. I'd be into swapping if the lottery was already set and it was a garaunteed top 3 and we got something else useful.

I'd be willing to trade Cory to any bottom feeder not in our division if the return is along those lines.. That or a huberdeau caliber 1 for 1. I'd keep him and trade Lu if it was any less.

I would do this right this second if I was GM and try to get a cup this year!!

Stephen Weiss,

Mike Santorelli

OR

Shawn Matthias,

Erik Gudbranson,

Scott Clemmensen and a 2nd round pick or 1st if we dont resign Weiss and a 3rd next year

for Luo,Raymond,Sauve and a 4th round pick 3rd if Raymond dont resign

Makes sence so we get a back up goalie,help in the middle and picks,they get Luo and more!!!

Luo wants to be in Florida, the Panthers have what we want and both teams would be better with a trade like this,I just hope we do it sooner like I have been saying then later.Right now as is untill after the trade deadline both our goalies want to believe they are the number 1 here,WE NEED a trade so they can relax and wont have to worry.

Haha I'd like him too but that's putting a lot of bold faith in him.. He's still a kid and might be the best defenseman in the league but he might also turn out no better than edler. We all know how much CDC loves him right now lol.

A deal like that may be possible though. Lets say they get 1st overall and take jones. Then they might comfortably swap Murray for Schneider. Murray tanev corrado and old man/captain hamhuis our top 4 in 5yrs

It's already basically been concluded through many MG interviews, that he's going to keep both goalies till the summer and make the decision based on what happens in the playoffs.

To me it's seems obvious that he hasn't made the final decision that it's going to be Luongo. It will be determined on what he thinks will help this team the most going forward.

If he thinks this team is in serious need of a shakeup after the playoffs, he may trade Cory for a bunch of young assets. If he thinks the team is only a few veteran pieces away from taking another serious run, he might trade Luongo.

But the decision hasn't been made one way or the other at this point.

Not quite so simple as that, if he gets a good offer from someone feeling more desperate before the trade deadline, he'll take it.

As far as the rest, that'll also depend on the return. Unless there's something particularly worrying, I'd think he'll still look at keeping Schneider over Luongo since he hasn't been able to get the increased value back for Schneider he'd been asking for in the past. Whatever is offered, if he gets a deal where Schneider gets more back for us, he'll consider it.

If a team was going to offer anything significant, they would have done it by now. Gillis has gotten offers, but he seems to see more value in having two top goaltenders.

And how often do teams trade for top goalies at the trade deadline? Barely ever.

The deal will be done in the summer after some evaluation of the team.

If a team was going to offer anything significant, they would have done it by now. Gillis has gotten offers, but he seems to see more value in having two top goaltenders.

And how often do teams trade for top goalies at the trade deadline? Barely ever.

The deal will be done in the summer after some evaluation of the team.

the problem i have is we keep both goalies. Which one starts the playoffs, how long of a leash does he have. if we go down 2 or 3-0 in the 1st game gets yanked and we turn it around and win does the replacement goalie play till he looses?

How does a 2 goalie system work in the playoffs. 1 goalie playing well is all thats needed. You think the goalie controversy is big now, wait till the playoffs and if say schneider craps the bed like the 1st game of the season and luo comes in, who plays game 2 etc

i think MG is playing with fire holding on to both goalies, it will also lower the return as teams can just wait till FA see what goalies dont get resigned and watch what the canucks do, they can wait out MG until he has dumped salary or he needs to move a goalie.

Take the next 3 weeks, talk to any team thatss interested in both goalies, review the offers and take the best one that helps us win the cup this year.

I agree with you on luongo. I doubt the offers will change much for him at the deadline but I think they will after some teams goaltending fail them this season.

I could see an offer being to big to refuse for Schneider maybe. Some team might want to get the jump on him sooner than later.

Haha I'd like him too but that's putting a lot of bold faith in him.. He's still a kid and might be the best defenseman in the league but he might also turn out no better than edler. We all know how much CDC loves him right now lol.

A deal like that may be possible though. Lets say they get 1st overall and take jones. Then they might comfortably swap Murray for Schneider. Murray tanev corrado and old man/captain hamhuis our top 4 in 5yrs

Archived