The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 6.0

CBJ with having 3 first round draft picks this year is going to be a rebuild team. They wont be in contention in 3 years by the time corys contract is up. It makes no sense for them to trade away future parts for a goalie that can help a team now and will have to resign for more $$ in a few years. They'd be better off trading for or drafting a goalie prospect to develop with the rest of their team and giving up less in doing so.

I would do this right this second if I was GM and try to get a cup this year!!

Stephen Weiss,

Mike Santorelli

OR

Shawn Matthias,

Erik Gudbranson,

Scott Clemmensen and a 2nd round pick or 1st if we dont resign Weiss and a 3rd next year

for Luo,Raymond,Sauve and a 4th round pick 3rd if Raymond dont resign

Makes sence so we get a back up goalie,help in the middle and picks,they get Luo and more!!!

Luo wants to be in Florida, the Panthers have what we want and both teams would be better with a trade like this,I just hope we do it sooner like I have been saying then later.Right now as is untill after the trade deadline both our goalies want to believe they are the number 1 here,WE NEED a trade so they can relax and wont have to worry.

FLORIDA

IS

NOT

INTERESTED

IN

ROBERTO

LUONGO

Doesn't matter if they have the pieces and Luongo wants to go only there. The GM doesn't want it done, the GM doesn't want it done. In Florida, in a shortened, injury riddled season, there is absolutely no pressure to perform knowing their youth are coming up, some this year, others next year and yet, others in two.

Luongo is not getting traded to Florida, if at all.

I have to disagree - I think that's a pretty weak article, using a very small sample size this season, and some unconvincing reasoning to try to blame AV for the Canuck's preference to retain Schneider.

"I've been bit by the nagging theory that the Canucks are planning on trading the wrong goaltender. The blame lies mostly on the shoulders of whoever made the decision to start Schneider in Game Three against the LA Kings, which indadvertedly forced management's hand."

Weak.

Some posters earlier were suggesting that we are holding on to our goalies because MG doesnt know what hes got, or that they will need both because of the shortened season........well that is simply not the case. The reason the trade hasnt been made is because the right deal didnt come along yet.

The offers must not even been decent...or just giving us more of what we already have.

I have to disagree - I think that's a pretty weak article, using a very small sample size this season, and some unconvincing reasoning to try to blame AV for the Canuck's preference to retain Schneider.

"I've been bit by the nagging theory that the Canucks are planning on trading the wrong goaltender. The blame lies mostly on the shoulders of whoever made the decision to start Schneider in Game Three against the LA Kings, which indadvertedly forced management's hand."

Weak.

That's a very valid point. There's speculation they really wanted him before, that's why I would include them in the running for him. I'm about 90% sure if gillis came out and said luongo is our guy going forward that Columbus would make an offer. Whether that offer is good enough is a different story. One thing I look at with them too is the fact that they have a bunch of good young prospects and 3 firsts. So they could give up some to get Schneider if they wanted to and still have solid foundation pieces to build.

The valid part of your argument I really agree with is can they keep him? Who knows really.. The future could look pretty bright for them after a year though(knowing Columbus probably not lol). Another thing is they could start to find some success after this year if they get a goalie. 1 or 2 breakout players and they could be next years leafs.

Another point would be how hard is it to get players to come to Columbus? Not a desirable place to live in comparison to others. Not much team history or pride there for a good player to say I always wanted to play for the bluejackets.

Not really arguing against your theories, just throwing out other points and ideas. I agree Columbus might be a long shot after the Nash trade but not out of the question.. I think Tampa might be the biggest player in a Schneider trade if it comes down to him leaving van.

I guess you and I have a different opinion on 'weak' articles. For instance, that writer uses advanced stats to suggest their goal-tending has been a problem lately. He then goes on to weigh those advanced stats against historical data. The writer also talks about it being a small sample.

Yet you suggest it's a weak article cause...... of your opinion? Data? Anything else? Ya, not sure who's argument is weaker here.

News1130Sports

Sportsnet's Doug MacLean says this morning - no market for Robert Loungo trade and he's heard talk Cory Schneider may be the one traded.

MacLean is the same idiot who said a deal with Toronto had been cut, and that Burke and MG were just waiting for the CBA to be ratified before they'd announce it.

Another pretender, in a class with Cox.

Can't believe this guy ever had the reigns of an NHL team. Not surprised that team is still a bottomfeeder either.

Archived