WPG

Raymond

Ballard

Schneider

1st

VAN

Ladd

Byfuglien

Ladd's got two Cups. That cannot be a nuisance. Byfuglien is one of those Stanley Cup performers too. If the Canucks could somehow get both while keeping most of the team intact, those two players are the type of players that would put Vancouver over the top.

WPG

Raymond

Ballard

Schneider

1st

VAN

Ladd

Byfuglien

Ladd's got two Cups. That cannot be a nuisance. Byfuglien is one of those Stanley Cup performers too. If the Canucks could somehow get both while keeping most of the team intact, those two players are the type of players that would put Vancouver over the top.

WPG

Raymond

Ballard

Schneider

1st

VAN

Ladd

Byfuglien

I think there are some fair arguments being made finally.

1. As a Business decisions it may start making sense to move Schnieds, as clearly moving Lou isn't as easy as thought and thats given his stellar play. However, people are assuming way to much in regards to Lack and Cannata. They haven't played a game in the NHL and people are suggesting they are at the same level as Schnieds..alot to suggest when those in the NHL think Schieds will be on the next US Olympic team.

2. Reason Lou was being traded folks is 1. He asked for it 2. His play in the playoffs / inconsistency not his regular season play lets not forget that. We may never know if he's overcome those demons in this city.

3. That being said, perhaps all this turmoil, his professionalism, his ability to mature and lighten up has helped his game, allowed him to play more relaxed and stop putting so much pressure on himself. That being said, he has got the easier starts this year - again maybe MG "managing" the trade as he did with CoHO to up his trade value.

I'm not saying he's not playing stellar but has has, for the most, part faced fewer 'offensive' teams than Schnieds, and likely the reason Schnieds doesn't have the great numbers everyone was expecting (not getting the easy games this year). So something to be said about that.

4. Question has to be what happens if the right deal doesn't come during the season. I still think it will before the deadline but if we pass the deadline, then I do believe you go with Cory to start the playoffs and if he falters you go with Lou (hot hand mentality). If Lou carry's the team the nucks get into a no win situation. Contract will still hold back Lou and who would want him traded? Yet now Schnieder's value is down bc people will jump on him as being 'not able to be a number 1'.

5. Best way out is that MG makes a deal to Wash/FLA soon and ends this and we move on with the next chapter.

6. If someone is going to offer us a Stud prospect and a number 1 for schnieds in a great draft you have to listen though, especially if they are a bottom feeder and it could mean a shot at Jones/Mckinnon/Drouin/Barkov.

7. I still think you find a way to work a deal with Washington, get forsberg, their first and some grit. If it means trading Ballard/MayRay as well so be it as both of those players are having resurgent years. Booth can fill MayRay's hole and challenge would be if we lost Ballard, as he and Tanev are playing terrific.

Schneider is certainly easier to move than Luongo. A 26 y/o starter making 4m with an outstanding record and huge potential, vs. a 34 y/o Luongo who is making 6.7m but only has 5.3m on the books for the next 8 years.

Yes, Luongo is playing outstanding, but you can't change the fact that poor teams that are in need of his services can't afford what we're asking in a trade, and can't afford his contract. I think the longer we wait on a Luongo deal the greater decline of value. That being said, I think he is worth more to us than anything we could get back in a Luongo deal. As another poster pointed out, Cannata and Lack coming up will make nice future NHLers, so the term and length of Cory's career becomes less of a concern for this market. 5 years more of Luongo, and who's to say we don't have another Cory in Cannata?

So keep them both for this year, have Schneider start in the playoffs, and see how far that takes us. If we win it all, then it's pretty much guaranteed that one of them will be dealt at the draft, hopefully to a bottom feeder for a high 1st. MG will have more options at the end of the season anyway, and if we do actually get a cup, then the return on either becomes less of a concern.

Here is the thing, all of a sudden Schneider is now facing more pressure then a Stanley Cup Final everytime he steps on the ice. His ability to be a number 1 is all the media is talking about, and he spouted off all this crap about how much he respected and liked Luongo and how he will miss him. Now Luongo is still here so everytime Cory gets the coin toss in his favor, he is playing not only for the win, but also for his job, how the media thinks of him, how the fans think of him, how the management thinks of him.

Schneider is under all this pressure and he is doing OK. I think this is great news for us Canucks fans. Cory has shown us that although he may struggle under pressure, he acknowledges it and overcomes it. He is exactly the kind of net minder you want going into the playoffs. He is the kind of goaltender that can stand on his head in a game 7. I for one would be very happy to have Schneider as our official starter.

Luongo is known as the king of chokes. Since all this has happened, Lu has learned how to make light of the situation and winning over fans with his personality. All of suden the pressure is off of Luongo, and it shows as he is easily the best goal tender in the NHL when he is on his game and he is being consistent. I believe that Luongo has found ways to cope with the pressure and he has developed mental tools that he previously did not possess. I for one would be very happy to have Luongo as our official starter.

Schneider is certainly easier to move than Luongo. A 26 y/o starter making 4m with an outstanding record and huge potential, vs. a 34 y/o Luongo who is making 6.7m but only has 5.3m on the books for the next 8 years.

Yes, Luongo is playing outstanding, but you can't change the fact that poor teams that are in need of his services can't afford what we're asking in a trade, and can't afford his contract. I think the longer we wait on a Luongo deal the greater decline of value. That being said, I think he is worth more to us than anything we could get back in a Luongo deal. As another poster pointed out, Cannata and Lack coming up will make nice future NHLers, so the term and length of Cory's career becomes less of a concern for this market. 5 years more of Luongo, and who's to say we don't have another Cory in Cannata?

So keep them both for this year, have Schneider start in the playoffs, and see how far that takes us. If we win it all, then it's pretty much guaranteed that one of them will be dealt at the draft, hopefully to a bottom feeder for a high 1st. MG will have more options at the end of the season anyway, and if we do actually get a cup, then the return on either becomes less of a concern.

Here is the thing, all of a sudden Schneider is now facing more pressure then a Stanley Cup Final everytime he steps on the ice. His ability to be a number 1 is all the media is talking about, and he spouted off all this crap about how much he respected and liked Luongo and how he will miss him. Now Luongo is still here so everytime Cory gets the coin toss in his favor, he is playing not only for the win, but also for his job, how the media thinks of him, how the fans think of him, how the management thinks of him.

Schneider is under all this pressure and he is doing OK. I think this is great news for us Canucks fans. Cory has shown us that although he may struggle under pressure, he acknowledges it and overcomes it. He is exactly the kind of net minder you want going into the playoffs. He is the kind of goaltender that can stand on his head in a game 7. I for one would be very happy to have Schneider as our official starter.

Luongo is known as the king of chokes. Since all this has happened, Lu has learned how to make light of the situation and winning over fans with his personality. All of suden the pressure is off of Luongo, and it shows as he is easily the best goal tender in the NHL when he is on his game and he is being consistent. I believe that Luongo has found ways to cope with the pressure and he has developed mental tools that he previously did not possess. I for one would be very happy to have Luongo as our official starter.

With Pierre Gauthier following the Canucks on their road trips (Chicago Player Personal) can we guess that maybe it's a bit more than just checking out the competition? Could Luongo be involved in a deal there like he was rumored to be in back in the summer? Considering after this year due to conference realignment the two teams won't even be in the same conference. What would be an adequate return for you guys? Players that interest me from them are Shaw, Saad, Teravainen, Stalberg.

The touchy feely stuff about Lou is a slice. In his summer of discontent Lou reassessed his game and his persona and experienced a rebirth. He might enjoy his refound favor with Canuck fans but after the first playoff loss that will evaporate as quickly as helium out of a poped ballon.

Don't get me wrong I wish the best for Lou. I also admit that his game has pretty muched eliminated the forward flop and swim. In retrospect this is not enough to jump on the Lou over Schneids bandwagon. My preference still resides with Schneids because of; his standup style, his youth, his peerformance under pressure, his contract length and cost and for what Lou's trade can bring back to the Canucks.

There has never been a debate about Lou's ability during regular season play.

Archived