The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 6.0

Another stinker for Bryz with the Flyers falling out of playoff hope.

The Flyers still owe Bryz $35M of his $51M horrendous contract and are paying him until he's 40. Add on to the fact that he has a contract that back dives so if he retires early Philly gets dinged big. Snyder wants a for sure goalie, which they thought they were getting in Bryz, no prospect. Been there done that too. Lu would be a great fit and help turn them around.

To Van:

SchennS and Leighton

To Philly:

Lu, Shroeder, Ballard, KConn, 2nd

Luke is a physical RHD with upside and Brayden is going to be a very good centremen in the NHL for a long time.

Getting Talbot and/or Simmonds in a bigger deal would be great.

You know... MG agrees with you. Why else would he have signed Luongo to a 12 year contract... if he didn't beleive Luongo is a great fit in Vancouver.Has MG gone Bi-polar... signs him for 12 years shows Luongo the greatest committment a team can make to a player and then POOF!!... MG wakes up one day...forgets his meds and decides... Luongo... you gotta go. So Damn Weird. Makes no sense to me.

I watched Luongo's after hour interview... He seems to have a Thomasesque nonchalance to him that has the potential to be extremely beneficial come playoff time. Sometimes one can care so much that it becomes a fault. I believe with Luongo being at ease, with less pressure; he performs much better. He never should have been a captain in the first place and the cockiness looks like it has subdued. He's more genuine. He's out on a mission to reclaim his number one status and its working.

If the few and ever decreasing anti-Luongo fans can forgive, they'll still have one of the greatest goaltenders to play the game for almost another decade.

As for Schneider: rule number one in the power game: NEVER outshine the master.

Yeah... you are right on with his "Thomasesque nonchalance" assessment ... I'm really enjoying it.  Luo really does seem to be having the time of his life...always smiling.  I do like both goalies and both have positives to staying with the team.  Either way...It will be sad day when one of them leaves.  But MG made the massive commitment to Luongo.  MG is going to have to break the promises he made to one of them.. either Schneider or Luongo.  So either way Gillis is gonna look bad for that.  I just hope this doesn't drag out till summer.

Again, no one from the organization has come out and directly said Schneider is the new number one. It is speculation based on Schneider replacing Luongo in the playoffs.

So in effect, if Gillis retains Luongo and trades Schneider, no promises were broken. The opposite is a dangerous road to walk when it comes to future UFA's signing with the Canucks...

Again, no one from the organization has come out and directly said Schneider is the new number one. It is speculation based on Schneider replacing Luongo in the playoffs.

So in effect, if Gillis retains Luongo and trades Schneider, no promises were broken. The opposite is a dangerous road to walk when it comes to future UFA's signing with the Canucks...

I think you are being naive beyond belief if you think promises weren’t made to Schneider when he signed that deal with Gillis. Sure no ‘public’ promises are ever made. But I can guarantee you that there were behind closed doors. And if Schneider is traded you will hear about it from his agent... not directly from Schneider, he is too classy for that.Also,... it can’t be your belief when they signed Schneider that the plan was all along to have Luongo and Schneider share the goaltending duties for 4 years... again naive beyond belief.

I definitely agree with u ... there definitely were promises made to Cory that he will be number one moving forward.

THAT being said... its business. Don't u think luongo had promises made to him when he signed for 12 years rather than Cory's 3? Only difference is Cory didn't earn an NTC like luongo did

Very dramatic, but contracts aren't "promises" that a player is thereby entitled to a starting role, despite performance, in perpetuity.

Players with contracts and ntc's get traded on a regular basis. No one interprets a ntc as a "promise" - it is a set of conditions that limit trade parameters - essentially giving a player a say in where they would be willing to go. Luongo doesn't have a NMC. Ironically, Bryzgalov has one of those - much more of a "promise" - and yet, when Philly finds a way to move on, you can bet they will and no one will be waxing dramatic about promises.

The difference here is obviously Schneider - no one in their right mind sees this as a case of Gillis forgetting his (ignorant commet) meds, and for who-knows-what-reason is going to trade a goaltender. Dramatic absence of context, but silly and lacking any credibility.

The press isn't going to have a field day with anything - they set the standard incredibly low with their talk of cap dumps and Komisarek... MG will be and do just fine.

That's my point! Gillis made promises to both. So either way..he looks bad/ can't be trusted when negoitating UFA/RFA. He's breaking a promise to one of them.So either way the Press is gonna have a field day with him over that. He also knows he will get eattin alive by the media if this trade doesn't make a major impact.

In no circumstance does Gillis look bad. When Luongo signed the 12 year deal you'd be nuts if you think Gillis promised him the started role for the next 12 years.  Most marriages don't last that long.  Both sides understood the possibility of changes (maybe not so early).  Why else would Luongo ask for NTC?  So that when the change would happen he would have the choice of deciding where he finished off his NHL career.

If Schneider were to get traded, Gillis still doesn't look bad.  Whether Cory is Vancouver number 1 or another teams, He is still getting paid to be a number one.  The fact that Gillis was patient with his development not rushing him or trading him 4 years ago is a huge part of where Cory is today,  Gillis has helped Cory  fulfill his childhood dream.  "To be a number one goalie in the NHL"

RIDICULOUS...."In no circumstance does Gillis look bad." ... you must be MG.. only he would say that and expect Cory to thank him for being the goalie he is today. You are just proving how nuts you are.

Archived