The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 6.0

How would you guys feel accepting upshall as a cap dump if it got a deal done for either matthias or goc and Florida's 1st? Then we just buy him out next year as a favor for the golden draft pick.

We'd have to move Ballard to fit him in but It's not like we'll miss the pressbox hero that much cus AV never plays him anyways.

Matthias/Goc 1st upshall

Luongo

I'd prefer matthias myself but could care less as the draft pick is the centerpiece. Then we fix our immediate problem and still get a young future star. You could end up with a return of matthias mackinnon upshall if luongo doesn't creep them up the standings too high.

How would you guys feel accepting upshall as a cap dump if it got a deal done for either matthias or goc and Florida's 1st? Then we just buy him out next year as a favor for the golden draft pick.

We'd have to move Ballard to fit him in but It's not like we'll miss the pressbox hero that much cus AV never plays him anyways.

Matthias/Goc 1st upshall

Luongo

I'd prefer matthias myself but could care less as the draft pick is the centerpiece. Then we fix our immediate problem and still get a young future star. You could end up with a return of matthias mackinnon upshall if luongo doesn't creep them up the standings too high.

Matthias/Goc 1st upshall

Luongo

Then you'd have to trade raymond for a draft pick because we'd have too many wingers.

And find a backup goalie. Maybe add a 3rd round pick to fld deal to get clemmenson

Plus raymond's undersized and his value has never been higher.

Sedin Sedin Simmonds (tough right handed shot- More size than burrows)

Burrows Kesler Kassian

Booth Mathias Hansen

Higgins Lapierre Pinozzotto

Weise

Hamhuis Bieksa

Garrison Gudbranson

Alberts Tanev

Barker

Schneids

HOLY DEPTH BATMAN!

1) Size on each line

2) Ability to play grinding game

3) Ability to play skill game

4) Depth at all positions

5) Right handed dman on each pairing

Summer:

1) Higgins is let go

2) Ballard bought out or traded

3) Booth is kept unless he ups his trade value and we give Jensen a chance

Yeah, if he can get that now I say cut our losses and take it. Even I'f you have to throw something of youth or a 2nd to get it done its probably still worth it In the long run. MG needs to stop looking at this as who wants an all star and try to use other assets to maximize the rewards on this deal. Whether its taking back more from the other team to scratch their back or giving more to make swallowing his contract easier, just do it and get this done already.

Of course it still relies on the fact if Florida actually wants luongo. I believe they do but just have to make it worth while. Taking a cap dump on for a team that struggles to pay the bills is a huge plus but is it enough? I'm trying to think of how much we would be willing to pay to get the best possible outcome without making us worse off.

Like if even we had to go..

Lu Connaughton 3rd

Matthias 1st upshall

We make a huge overpayment but in the long run our franchise is better off when you consider the drouin caliber prospect we get with the first.

Florida is not going to trade their 2013 1st for Luongo... come back to reality. They would only trade their 2013 2nd and maybe 2014 1st but even that is a stretch. There is absolutely no pressure on them to do anything at this point. Keep losing and get Seth Jones or mackinnon they should be picking in the top 3. They have 8 home games left and then they can start the rebuild...they won't start now by selling their future.

I wouldn't be so sure of that, it depends if they actually want him or not. That's what it comes down to. It's not a case of "oh I dunno I kind of want him if he's cheap enough", he's signed for a long time. Its a big decision that whoever makes is saying i want this guy to be my franchise goalie, lets figure this out. I think if they actually want luongo then there's a way to get the deal done whether its us adding more or what.

That's what my post is about, what does it take to get that done before it becomes not worth it for us? Feel free to pitch in without being ridiculous

At this point, what do we have to talk about? I'm just exploring options and pondering the future consequences of the deals.

Say Florida says they really really like Jensen. That kinda stuff gets thrown around all the time between GMs. Gillis doesn't actually laugh or hang up like we like to joke about. He discusses the player and says they're really high on him as well he's a big part of our future. They probably throw back and forth possible scenarios. "You know mike, I really want that Jensen kid, lets figure out a way to get him in the deal and I can start to come up to your asking price".. they probably throw some names out and gillis holds firm on bjugstad 1st matthias and its too much for tallon to swallow in the end.

I'm not saying any of these deals are what could or would get done but just trying to be real and think about what might actually be going on behind the scenes... None of these guys are hanging up phones and laughing in each others faces, they're exploring options and making decisions on, does this sacrifice have a high percent chance of making my hockey team better.

I wouldn't be so sure of that, it depends if they actually want him or not. That's what it comes down to. It's not a case of "oh I dunno I kind of want him if he's cheap enough", he's signed for a long time. Its a big decision that whoever makes is saying i want this guy to be my franchise goalie, lets figure this out. I think if they actually want luongo then there's a way to get the deal done whether its us adding more or what.

That's what my post is about, what does it take to get that done before it becomes not worth it for us? Feel free to pitch in without being ridiculous

At this point, what do we have to talk about? I'm just exploring options and pondering the future consequences of the deals.

Say Florida says they really really like Jensen. That kinda stuff gets thrown around all the time between GMs. Gillis doesn't actually laugh or hang up like we like to joke about. He discusses the player and says they're really high on him as well he's a big part of our future. They probably throw back and forth possible scenarios. "You know mike, I really want that Jensen kid, lets figure out a way to get him in the deal and I can start to come up to your asking price".. they probably throw some names out and gillis holds firm on bjugstad 1st matthias and its too much for tallon to swallow in the end.

I'm not saying any of these deals are what could or would get done but just trying to be real and think about what might actually be going on behind the scenes... None of these guys are hanging up phones and laughing in each others faces, they're exploring options and making decisions on, does this sacrifice have a high percent chance of making my hockey team better.

Funny you should mention?

Someone educated, or willing to research, should be able to answer this; what % of first rounders play 6 years in the NHL? Prospects???

I'd be willing to bet well under half, my guess is 1/3rd of first rounders play 6 years in the NHL. Break that down to the number that have an all star season, and then further to guys that are perennially in the mix perhaps HHOF material? What Lou can offer them somewhat guaranteed is much better than most prospects evolve to...

Lets cap Lou as having 5 strong years in him? Consider Florida has such an abundance of prospects and youth (Huberdeau, Shore, Howden, Bjugstad amongst guys who can play centre alone).They could ice an entire line up of youth and let them battle to see if they can make it?

Then look at Edmonton, who has even more young talent; and having not surrounded them with key veterans and a line up of up fast and physical bodies to balance match ups whom afford their stars a chance to utilize their talents... And you have a team that still sulks!

Florida could, and SHOULD, be projecting whom the best of their guys are, and trading some of the balance (a risk, but hey?) to offer their best prospects a chance to play led by some veterans and guys who make them competitive like Lou! He would get them a lot further; and I doubt too many of these HOT (?) prospects will give the Panthers 5 years NHL play anyway?

Because CDC says so...

It is very important when rebuilding, to trade away your high picks and your best prospects. It is a must. And hopefully, you trade them for a guy who will play 5-6 years in the NHL and who has an amazingly long contract.

That's how it works; CDC says so.

Nice Post... all you are saying sounds reasonable. However, were talking about the possibility of the 1st Overall Pick in the draft.... What better way for Florida to rebuild Hockey in Miami. It will be front webpage news for weeks and months about Florida picking first and all the hype of the player creating a big buzz about hockey. That is what Florida really needs. Getting Luongo does none of that. It's a story for a day or two at best. 1st Pick in the Draft is the Big story they need. ESPN LIVE coverage of that Panther jersey on the next great superstar. It's the only way to rebuild hockey in Florida and Tallon knows it.

Funny you should mention?

Someone educated, or willing to research, should be able to answer this; what % of first rounders play 6 years in the NHL? Prospects???

I'd be willing to bet well under half, my guess is 1/3rd of first rounders play 6 years in the NHL. Break that down to the number that have an all star season, and then further to guys that are perennially in the mix perhaps HHOF material? What Lou can offer them somewhat guaranteed is a much better than most prospects evolve to...

Lets cap Lou as having 5 strong years in him? Consider Florida has such an abundance of prospects and youth (Huberdeau, Shore, Howden, Bjugstad amongst guys who can play centre alone).They could ice an entire line up of youth and let them battle to see if they can make it?

Then look at Edmonton, who has even more young talent; and having not surrounded them with key veterans and a line up up fast and physical bodies to balance match ups whom afford their stars a chance to utilize their talents... And you have a team that still sulks!

Florida could, and SHOULD, be projecting whom the best of their guys are, and trading some of the balance (a risk, but hey?) to offer their best prospects a chance to play led by some veterans and guys who make them competitive like Lou! He would get them a lot further; and I doubt too many of these HOT (?) prospects will give the Panthers 5 years NHL play anyway?

Archived