The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 6.0

Yeah well in return for Lou's contract we get 7 or 10 years of play out of Lou; an all star goalie. In return for taking on Dipietro's contract we get diddly!

Sampy suggested people do things like this and noted that Gretzky was Bought!

Well reality check!

Dipietro is not Gretzky!

And neither is Tavares; we are not paying $40 mill plus his proposal of Lou, Ballard, Schroeder and a first for Tavares. Players only, sure! But Islanders walk away even though its a big offer.

TManVan posted;

To be fair Luongo would be going the other way in the posters original proposal so getting rid of Luongo's contract and then buying out Dipietro would almost be a mute point.

Also any return that strenghtens the team also increases the chances of a deep playoff run, which in turn would further cancel out the Dipietro buyout with the financial gain of every home playoff game.

With that said though, the chance of the Islanders moving Tavares is probably close to zero.

Yeah well in return for Lou's contract we get 7 or 10 years of play out of Lou; an all star goalie. In return for taking on Dipietro's contract we get diddly!

Sampy suggested people do things like this and noted that Gretzky was Bought!

Well reality check!

Dipietro is not Gretzky!

And neither is Tavares; we are not paying $40 mill plus his proposal of Lou, Ballard, Schroeder and a first for Tavares. Players only, sure! But Islanders walk away even though its a big offer.

TManVan posted;

To be fair Luongo would be going the other way in the posters original proposal so getting rid of Luongo's contract and then buying out Dipietro would almost be a mute point.

Also any return that strenghtens the team also increases the chances of a deep playoff run, which in turn would further cancel out the Dipietro buyout with the financial gain of every home playoff game.

With that said though, the chance of the Islanders moving Tavares is probably close to zero.

Dipietro's buyout is actually closer to 23 million, not that that's small change, but if Snow was hoping to shed that contract I think he'd have to give a lot more plum of a deal than simplyTavares while receiving Schneider, Schroeder, Ballard and a pick in return. He'd be out of his mind if he didn't jump at that deal and I see simply no way in the world that Vancouver parts with Schneider in that scenario, let alone a blockbuster package (including a first) - I wouldn't cut that deal for Tavares, let alone take Dipietro in addition.

It's possible that someone effectively takes Dipietro in exchange for some additional serious young talent from the Isles, but it's difficult to put a player value on a 23 million buyout. Imo Tavares and Dipietro for Luongo is probably not enough to make Aquillini write a cheque like that...the Isles are between a rock and a hard place where Dipietro is concerned - they are going to have to pay big regardless of the form it takes. I think they'd actually have to add more value to make it happen, but that's just my assessment.

Archived