The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 6.0

Yeah well its not that simple.

We were up 3-2 even though Lou, amongst others, turned in bad games in Boston. Realistically, we started the series with Kesler playing on crutches, Samuelsson gone and Manny still out. By game 6, we were also missing Rome, Hamhuis, Raymond, the Twins playing hurt, Salo unable to hold his stick, who am I missing? Some teams are cup teams because they are great teams, and some (lets call them nearly great) need a superstar to step forward, ala Crosby, Roy, Dryden...

Well our team was too broken down to expect the goals you speak of. To my mind, if we were to win, Lou had to steal us a game. Do you reckon I'm holding him to a higher standard hoping that would happen?

In my mind; doing so was fair. He held us ransom for virtually the largest goalie contract in history. On day dot; Luongo was the highest paid player in the world at $10 mill. If there was a guy it was fair to expect to be our superstar, it was Lou!

But Lou was also part of the problem, yeah scoring and other bits dried up as our match ups crumbled with injuries. In game 4 if I recall, after a forward coughed the puck, and Bieksa, then Salo both let Marchand walk around them, he flopped and Marchand scored a heartbreaking dagger. And you could see the bench drop their heads. Lou was a sieve, as much as the team around him, same in game 6 after not having his tires pumped. You could tell he was mentally out of it, and the 4 goals he let in in game 7 gave no one any hope that fighting through it would get anywhere.

The team lost, but as the highest paid player in the world, I would like to think Lou could have stole us a game in Boston...

You missed the point.

With Kess injured, and Samuelsson, Manny and Raymond out > all of our secondary scoring was essentially gone. As were line ups where people played their standard defensive roles. the Twins/Burr are not going to score a lot of goals stuck ,ostly taking defensive draws in our end against Boston's top line. Then double shift against a top defensive line when we did score an offensive zone draw. So if we were not going to score goals, our defense and goalie were going to have to steal games for us.

Worse, if we needed our defence and goal tending to steal games for us, and our best defender Hamhuis was out; Well lets say we were in serious trouble. It did not help missing Rome and having Erhoff and Salo playing hurt. We literally NEEDED Lou to steal one of the last two games.

I guess i hoped he would be a superstar and feel gilted?

He stole game 1 and game 5 for us.

We scored a whopping 8 goals in 7 games - that was the issue.

No, because Kesler, as good as he is; is not what Boston needs. And Schneider, as good as he is is not what Boston needs most.either. So why would they mortgage such important players for this trade.

And funny thing, if we scored Lucic and Seguin but lost Kesler; who would play centre for us? The trade also tears us apart.

Its not a good structure for a trade because the pieces don't make sense.

Lol I heard about Lucic showing up for camp out of shape. Must be getting close now though? He snapped a nice goal, and looked alrite to me when I watched them play Buffalo.

WHy? Because Lucic isn't going to age like a fine wine. I don't see the Bruins much but he looks bigger and slower.

Florida is 5 points out of the lead in their division, and five points from the 8th spot, also a team in their division. Washington is 6 back. These teams are nowhere near about to pack it in, decide to tank, or mail in their seasons. 5 or 6 points can be made up in a 10 game stretch, particularly when they're chasing mediocre hockey teams. Florida is finally getting healthy after missing Versteeg, Gudbranson, Goc, Jovanovski, Upshall...

Three of the Canucks most rumoured trade partners have also given up the most goals in the NHL - I don't see this as the point at which it is assumed the Canucks don't cut a deal this season... Those fanbases all watched playoff games last season... If anything, things have been working out favourably for MG.

No, because Kesler, as good as he is; is not what Boston needs. And Schneider, as good as he is is not what Boston needs most.either. So why would they mortgage such important players for this trade.

And funny thing, if we scored Lucic and Seguin but lost Kesler; who would play centre for us? The trade also tears us apart.

Its not a good structure for a trade because the pieces don't make sense.

Lol I heard about Lucic showing up for camp out of shape. Must be getting close now though? He snapped a nice goal, and looked alrite to me when I watched them play Buffalo.

We need depth at center. As much as I like Schroeder we probably need during this playoff run a bigger more experienced center. He's struggling now but you don't have to look back that far to see him as a productive player. With a new team in a new city I think he will be just what the canucks need

I might be of the minority here, but Weiss would help a lot. Personally, I think we need to drop Kesler into the 3rd line centre position as the team's checking centre, but also able to put up good offensive numbers. Weiss fills in the 2nd line centre position.

What would it take to get him? Not sure, but his value is definitely at the lowest point that its been in years. Buy low....

Archived