The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 6.0

The thing about Bjudgstad, outside of the fact that he isn't available, is if he were to be traded for Luongo, the expectations on him would be ever so great that he would ultimately be regarded as a bad trade for the Canucks. For Schneider, Bjudgstad might be available and subsequently, fans would be easier on him as he grows into his own since he would have been traded for a goaltender with less history between himself and fans. Therefore, the pressure on Bjudgstad to perform would be less and he would be allowed the time to develop with less urgency, thereby making the acquisition a better player in the long run.

SmashianKassian, Luongo is actually outplaying Schneider and he also has an NTC and has said he'd love to go back to Florida. Either than that, a calm wind blows in dust but nothing more.

No one in this new CBA wants to take on this anchor of a contract even though the player under said contract is in fact a superstar.

This contract is sticking like molasses to the Canucks organization and I for one am glad for it.

Schneider's a good kid. But for him to come in at 26 years old and think he'll dethrone a franchise goaltender by right alone, well, I guess he gets it by now, he'll have to outplay Luongo and he hasn't so far.

Schneider's contract on the other hand is a perfectly tradable contract. In fact, ever so tradable that the returns potentially greatly outshine that of a Luongo return.

Now the difference between Luongo's and Schneider's game is so minimal, yet the returns for each goaltender would differ so greatly, that a Schneider trade make a whole lot more sense for this franchise than and Luongo trade.

Some teams will be on the verge of missing the playoffs and pay a ranson while some teams will be missing the playoffs and will unload sound veteran help for such a piece as a goaltender of Schneider stature; that which can help this franchise win a Cup.

I cannot say what type of returns Schneider could get as immediate help, but it sure as heck more than mere rookies and picks, while this is exactly what Luongo would garner as returns.

Now if the Canucks were as great as the current Oilers or Flames, then I would have difficulty arguing keeping Luongo. But te Vancouver Canucks are swimming with the likes of Chicago and Boston; one of the best team in the NHL, but it needs ever slight help, the type of help that will put this team on top once again.

For Luongo, it's Vancouver or Florida. So far, he's playing some of the best hockey of his career and making it very hard on Schneider to take over.

If Schneider cannot handle such adversity, then there's your answer.

Just a couple of questions. Why do you degrade Schneider by calling a 26 yr old man a kid? (2) where has it been even suggested that Schneider, or anyone believes he should play by"right" alone. Even though Luongo is having a great season, you contradict yourself by saying the difference in abilities is minimal. Whether you are willing to admit it or not...Schneider is superior technically. Lou has had a little more puck luck than Schneider so far but he did get a pretty good taste of bad bounces against d

Detroit. But keep trying, someday you'll make a decent point on here.

Actually its the exact opposite.

If it was Schneider it would be much like the Cody/Zack situation, as we would be trading a player with his peak and prime years ahead of him, we would watch him play senstaionally and become a top 5 goaltender.

And then we would have Bjugstad, who well great will never be a top 5 player in the league and likely never a top 10 player. Terrible value really.

If its Luongo, we are unloading the contract, which is a huge bonus, Luongos also aging, he has prime years but when you trade a guy who is older and has his peak behind him, there is alot less risk.

Plus unlike Schneider there isn't that mystery risk factor. Schneider could be traded and go on and win the Vezina multiple years, with Luongo you know what you are getting in him. And we know what we are giving up.

Actually Weiss is a UFA and not having a great year, his value is fast declining, the deal would be more likely.

Weiss, prospect, pick

And I will take that over the Schneider/Bjugstad swap 10 times out of 10.

Niether are any of the teams that have had real interest.

So if you are saying it is contender or no deal, then I guess he will never go. Which really suits your person want, than the better of the team moving forward.

He wants to go to Florida, your grasping at straws.

They are 6 points out of eight and have 2 game in hand on the 8th place team. They are also 6 points out of the lead and have a game in hand on the division leader.

So if Luongo is as good as you think he is that should be no issue for them to make the playoffs, no?

Actually, neither of the goalies are playing that well. This mess is starting to take its toll because neither can get into a rhythm. Having said that, I think Schneider should be the one who can play lights out coming in once in a while since that's exactly what he did last year. Can't expect Luongo to perform at his peak while he gets a game every 2 weeks.

The Canucks are a good team, however there is something they lack, although burrows is intelligent while playing alongside the Sedins they need a different face to fill the position. I think anaheim's Corey Perry would fit into the mix quite well (RW). Although, i do find it difficult to imagine that Lou for Perry would happen unless of course MG throws in a couple of other fillers.

Actually, neither of the goalies are playing that well. This mess is starting to take its toll because neither can get into a rhythm. Having said that, I think Schneider should be the one who can play lights out coming in once in a while since that's exactly what he did last year. Can't expect Luongo to perform at his peak while he gets a game every 2 weeks.

The Canucks are a good team, however there is something they lack, although burrows is intelligent while playing alongside the Sedins they need a different face to fill the position. I think anaheim's Corey Perry would fit into the mix quite well (RW). Although, i do find it difficult to imagine that Lou for Perry would happen unless of course MG throws in a couple of other fillers.

no need to namecall. But if you were ever going to entertain the idea of trading schneider to florida the conversation starts with gudbranson for the canucks. Bjustad while being a great prospect is probably not going to be a 1st line centre.

Archived