The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 6.0

With Cam Ward going down with an injury, Theodore looking like he could be done for the season, Clemmensen, Lindback, and Holtby all playing like crap in general, now is the time I would make a move if I were a Gm in the southeast. The division is up for the taking, and while the trade deadline isn't too far away if it was my team I would like a deal done sooner rather than later to get a jump start on the rest of the division.

As much as Florida still makes sense for Luongo you have to wonder how much longer Tampa bay can sit there and roll with Lindback. Yzerman might think he pulled a fast one on Nashville getting his " future franchise goalie" for a couple second round picks, but their team is built to win now. If Lindback doesn't start playing like a reliable starting goalie for 2-3 years, how is that going to look for Yzerman with the likes of the aging Lecavalier, St. Louis, and salo watching the playoffs from the sidelines?

So Cam Ward is out 6-8 weeks. Not a destination for Luongo.

I can see Carolina kicking the tires on Bernier, Bishop. But may allow the tandem of Ellis and Peters to see what they can do. Although this is a big blow to the team, and it could allow other teams in their division an opportunity to climb past them to the division lead.

Theodore may be out 6 weeks. I would think they would just run with Clemmenson and MArkstrom. This would give Markstrom a good chacne to prove he can play. If Markstrom falters I could definitely see Florida maybe being interested in a goalie trade but it would probably wait till the draft.

As much as I feel we need to move a goalie so whoever remains knows they are our true #1 more than likely thats schneider, then he can get into a groove and when playoffs come he will be in a routine of playing game in game out.

But I thought this goalie dilemma would have been dealt with long ago, now it sure looks like we are content playing these two goalies and never giving them a long stretch of games to run with it. Hasnt the goalie we are trading(Luongo) played more games in a row than Schneider the goalie we are keeping? yes I know Luo was playing great but if its Schneiders team he needs to play the majority of the games.

Backups do out play the #1 at times on good teams, does that mean they should be riding the pine for 4 games which is close to 10 days- 2 weeks without seeeing game action? No

I really dont know what this team is thinking in regards to keeeping both goalies, ppl say keep both and we have a chance to win a cup. Didnt do much last year only made it to 5 games of the 1st round. And its not like our goalies played horrible.

Now Ballard seems to be in the doghouse, no reason why he should has been a healthy scratch in back to back games after having numerous days off before, to recover from any flu which doesnt sound to be the case. If your going to rotate in the #7 and 8 d men why not give other d men a rest aswell? why not have sat Bieksa out on saturday instead of playing him and then he cant play sunday?

I love the Canucks and always will cheer for them, But I am concerned with how our goalies are being treated, and how the team is being run and coached. There was no need to waive Volpatti yet we did, sitting ballard, the coach seemingly looking like hes lost the ability to coach this team.

I sure hope this doesnt drag on and end up burning us in the end. MG should talk to Luongo and figure this out, ask him are you still wanting to be moved, if so where would you be willing to go. then whoever the teams are hes willing to go call their gm and see if theres interest. If Luo says he would stay and wont waive then you better start coveting a healthy return for schneider. We cant keep both goalies especially when we could use some help up front and a rhd.

Wish Luongo all the best but this situation has gone on far too long

NHL GM's are smart enough to not base value on a very short sample size. That means they are just as swayed by Luongo's excellent start as the two recent games (which is not very much). They know what he can provide, and they know whether or not the contract is really an impediment to their team.

If and NHL GM is swayed by these things, he probably makes some reactionary trades and ends up with poor value in return. That formula generally doesn't end with you keeping your job, so they aren't likely to stay NHL GM's unless they're smarter the the average CDC'er (if not most/all of CDC).

With Cam Ward going down with an injury, Theodore looking like he could be done for the season, Clemmensen, Lindback, and Holtby all playing like crap in general, now is the time I would make a move if I were a Gm in the southeast. The division is up for the taking, and while the trade deadline isn't too far away if it was my team I would like a deal done sooner rather than later to get a jump start on the rest of the division.

As much as Florida still makes sense for Luongo you have to wonder how much longer Tampa bay can sit there and roll with Lindback. Yzerman might think he pulled a fast one on Nashville getting his " future franchise goalie" for a couple second round picks, but their team is built to win now. If Lindback doesn't start playing like a reliable starting goalie for 2-3 years, how is that going to look for Yzerman with the likes of the aging Lecavalier, St. Louis, and salo watching the playoffs from the sidelines?

In Holtby's last 7 games .939 save % and a 1.85 GAA. Tied for league lead 3 shutouts.

Holtby has three shutouts this season and has faced a good amount of shots. Washington management has also made it clear that Holtby is the goaltender they are moving ahead with.

When looking into making a trade for a starting goaltender, these are not reactionary type moves and require a lot of time, meaning Holtby's or the Capitals start this season aren't going to factor into a move for a goaltender.

The Islanders should pull the trigger. They finally waived Dipietro, and Nabokov is a 37 year old UFA.

Ballard and AV aren't getting along again - the Isles two veteran blueliners are UFAs - they could really use a guy with Ballard's skillset.

Luo, Ballard, Ebbett.

Hamonic, Brock Nelson, Cizikas, Pokka, Nabokov.

So Holtby has found his game again, Reimer and Scrivens both playing better than expected, Florida seemingly willing to roll with Clemmensen and Markstrom, Yzerman unwilling to pay Mike Gillis' asking price and has Vasilevski coming up, Luo probably unwilling to go to Columbus, Bryzgalov with a huge hard to move contract...... What do the Canucks do ?! Are the Islanders willing to spend some money ????

The Islanders should pull the trigger. They finally waived Dipietro, and Nabokov is a 37 year old UFA.

Ballard and AV aren't getting along again - the Isles two veteran blueliners are UFAs - they could really use a guy with Ballard's skillset.

Luo, Ballard, Ebbett.

Hamonic, Brock Nelson, Cizikas, Pokka, Nabokov.

Yeah - young assets is what I'd like to see - and the NYI have a lot of them. Imo if Ballard is going to be moved, and the Isles are interested in Luo, it would take a young Rside blueliner and center to make it happen. I'd compromise on Pokka, but the Hamonic, Nelson part not so much, and Cizikas would make a good depth roster C that the Canucks could use immediately. The Isles have a great deal of young C depth, so I widon't think what I'm asking is out of the question - with Reinhart, Strome, Neiderreiter, Donovan, and an already young roster, it's not like this deal depletes their youth.

They also only have $28 million in cap committed to next year, so they're gonna need to take on some salary.

Additionally, a deal like this allows them to upgrade to Luongo, while moving Nabokov's salary this year, who would be a good fit for the Canucks to bridge the gap between this season and next, when Lack may be healthy and ready to step up.

I think Cizikas and Pokka wouldn't be a problem, it's Hamonic that would probably be the sticking point. Add in any d-man not named Hamonic or Reinhart and I think it gets done. Not saying I think Hamonic is untouchable, just in the deal that you laid out.

Are you saying we should ship Ballard to NY a part of that deal or just in general? I think they might be one of the few teams who wouldn't min his cap hit as they would use him in the top four and as you mentioned have a lot of cap space.

unless its a significant upgrade for this team...... wont happen...........unless a team is deperate and want luo as their number 1 (like Car having cam ward injured but will return to be their number 1) probably wont happen

not to say things wont heat up for luongo

other thing to keep in mind is that with the condensed season and goalies falling in heaps......maybe the best thing is to keep luo for season and you have a very good goalie to fill in the playoffs ort down the steretch if one of our goalies is injured

if that happens expect a trade at the draft.

So Cam Ward is out 6-8 weeks. Not a destination for Luongo.

I can see Carolina kicking the tires on Bernier, Bishop. But may allow the tandem of Ellis and Peters to see what they can do. Although this is a big blow to the team, and it could allow other teams in their division an opportunity to climb past them to the division lead.

Theodore may be out 6 weeks. I would think they would just run with Clemmenson and MArkstrom. This would give Markstrom a good chacne to prove he can play. If Markstrom falters I could definitely see Florida maybe being interested in a goalie trade but it would probably wait till the draft.

As much as I feel we need to move a goalie so whoever remains knows they are our true #1 more than likely thats schneider, then he can get into a groove and when playoffs come he will be in a routine of playing game in game out.

But I thought this goalie dilemma would have been dealt with long ago, now it sure looks like we are content playing these two goalies and never giving them a long stretch of games to run with it. Hasnt the goalie we are trading(Luongo) played more games in a row than Schneider the goalie we are keeping? yes I know Luo was playing great but if its Schneiders team he needs to play the majority of the games.

Backups do out play the #1 at times on good teams, does that mean they should be riding the pine for 4 games which is close to 10 days- 2 weeks without seeeing game action? No

I really dont know what this team is thinking in regards to keeeping both goalies, ppl say keep both and we have a chance to win a cup. Didnt do much last year only made it to 5 games of the 1st round. And its not like our goalies played horrible.

Now Ballard seems to be in the doghouse, no reason why he should has been a healthy scratch in back to back games after having numerous days off before, to recover from any flu which doesnt sound to be the case. If your going to rotate in the #7 and 8 d men why not give other d men a rest aswell? why not have sat Bieksa out on saturday instead of playing him and then he cant play sunday?

I love the Canucks and always will cheer for them, But I am concerned with how our goalies are being treated, and how the team is being run and coached. There was no need to waive Volpatti yet we did, sitting ballard, the coach seemingly looking like hes lost the ability to coach this team.

I sure hope this doesnt drag on and end up burning us in the end. MG should talk to Luongo and figure this out, ask him are you still wanting to be moved, if so where would you be willing to go. then whoever the teams are hes willing to go call their gm and see if theres interest. If Luo says he would stay and wont waive then you better start coveting a healthy return for schneider. We cant keep both goalies especially when we could use some help up front and a rhd.

Wish Luongo all the best but this situation has gone on far too long

"I really dont know what this team is thinking in regards to keeeping both goalies, ppl say keep both and we have a chance to win a cup. Didnt do much last year only made it to 5 games of the 1st round."

This is one of the most logical well thought out points I have seen in regards to this issue. The canucks ability to go deep in the playoffs will not be determined by who's in net. I prefer Schnieds (bc he'll be peaking as Lou is declining so we have a longer window with a great goalie) but either goalie is still a stud right now...If we want to go deep our issue won't be goaltending.

Archived