The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 6.0

Even with injuries i don't see a trade happening we would need a back up goalie coming back in the trade and would rather see something else come back in a trade like a prospect or roster player and wait til next year to use Lack as back up

I respect that worry regarding Boyes. He was a bargain pick up for the Islanders. (I called for us to look at him off season)

But he's not the meat in the deal, just the gravy > a depth journeyman right wing who potentially could play top 6 where match ups dictate someone bigger than Burrows, or more experienced than Kassian. The meat and real value is in Niederreiter and the 1st.

Roberto isn't going anywhere. He has an NTC and won't waive it. End of thread... or rename thread to Schneider trade thread.

It's best for the team. Shcneidner will get a better return than luongo will. We need to win the cup this year. Luongo is the better goalie right now and w.e we can get in return for Schneider will get us over the hump

Roberto isn't going anywhere. He has an NTC and won't waive it. End of thread... or rename thread to Schneider trade thread.

It's best for the team. Shcneidner will get a better return than luongo will. We need to win the cup this year. Luongo is the better goalie right now and w.e we can get in return for Schneider will get us over the hump

Almost the end of the week and my prediction of a deal on this road trip is looking sketchy. With almost a third of the season done I thought there would be teams that would solidify their playoff drive with a deal for Lou.

What I notice:

Burrows: For all the adulation Canuck fans heap on the Twins I don't think Burrows gets his just due. He performs at a high level and does not need the Twins to do it. More the other way around IMHO. When Stevie Y added Burrows to Team Canada I was not surprised but many were amazed at how well he performed. His drive for the CUP has not faultered since he first put a Van jersey on. He is the heart & soul of this team!

Schroeder: Impressed every game with his ability to pass the puck. Cannot say he is Van's 3C on a CUP challenging roster but he is definitely NHL capable.

Raymond: He is showing why he scored 25 goals a few years back. You cannot beat speed in the NHL and he has it. Love the way he plays with Schroeder.

Tanev: I watch this kid and still shake my head. Not big enough, just a matter of time before he gets tagged, hasn't happened.

I am happy with Van's back end. They should be able to mature through the season and provide CUP quality defence. GMMG should focus up front.

Just have to say this...YUCK!!! Nino Niederreiter has "Filatov" disappointment all over him. Didn't he also want out, just like Nino does? He has played 64 NHL games has 3 points and is a -30. THAT'S THE MEAT AND POTATOES IN YOUR DEAL?! :picard:. The first isn't going to even be that great. However valuable picks are going to be in this draft, it's not worth it.

That being said, I do believe RW depth is needed, just like you mentioned. There are better ways of getting said depth though. I would personally like to get Teddy Purcell from Tampa. That one would take one of our goalies for sure! Any better ideas for RW depth?

i have yet to see Tanev make a mistake. In fact, he pretty much is 100% on playing the pucks he needs to play effectively. He uses good positioning and good decision making more consistently than any other member of our blue line this year. He has been adding an extra gear to his jump and it hasn't affected his defensive play at all - something that cant be said about the Bieksa or the Edler.

Also the guy who said Boyes, "Harmonic" AND a (top 5)first for Luongo... lol

Fair consideration regarding Niederreiter, he was used primarily as a depth forward last year and played a fair amount on the 4th line. His stats suffered as a result but he has shown at international competitions he can be one of the better players on the ice.

As far as his asking out, he wasn't even invited to camp by the Isles. That was after he'd been performing quite well in the AHL this season, and to not even give him and invite and then send him back down after a few days due to roster space limitations isn't exactly a vote of confidence from the team.

Having said that, I wouldn't think of him as a centerpiece in any deal. If we were to get their 1st round pick, or another reasonable significant prospect or roster player as another part of the deal, I wouldn't have any issue with Niederreiter being included in a Luongo deal. I'd ask for even a little more if it was Schneider they were asking for back, of course.

Oh, neither would I. He is a bit of a relclaimation project though. By comparison, Filatov was traded for a 3rd and still didn't make the NHL. He is also a plus player in the games he has played in the NHL as well. By that approximation, Nino is probably worth a 4th at best now. Maybe a 3rd, but that's a stretch and only because he seems to want to stay in the NHL. Either way though, the point is that the equivalent of a 4th round pick is not the meat in any deal for either including our goalies. And the only reason I would say we take a flyer on him is that he is a RW and the Wolves need more offense.

But I'm saying I don't think they're directly comparable just by their stat lines. Filatov had better opportunity at top 6/top 9 minutes where Niederreiter hasn't. He still has good upside where people had started to see enough of Filatov in a similar role to what he was projected for to understand he was going to be a project.

The debate about what he is worth is interesting, and I'm not sure he is worth more than your suggesting, just that I don't think we can calculate his value based on what Filatov has done. Interesting discussion though, and if he's a worthy return for a potential goalie trade.

Archived