3104 replies to this topic

#121 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,682 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:08 AM

Luongo is now leading the league in GAA.

I say we keep Luongo and trade Schneider.

McCoy: We were speculating. Is God really out there?
Kirk: Maybe he's not out there, Bones. Maybe he's right here. [points to his heart]

Posted Image

#122 sampy

sampy

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,052 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:57 AM

If the ransom is an elite player back in a Schneider trade and cap dumps for Lu than I agree, especially with Lack and Cannta coming down the pipeline. Lu has matured and his experience is priceless. I'm happy with Lu as my goalie and he is playing amazing this year.

Schneider is an elite goalie prospect and is the better long term decision but it all depends what the trade values are. A lot of credit goes to MG for not unloading Schneider and instead developing him properly since he started his tenure as GM.

#123 70seven

70seven

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:11 AM

Ok, so I admit that Im on board with keeping Luongo. Being that this team is not getting younger, Im willing to sacrifice the younger and cheaper goaltender without the NTC, for a likley larger ransom than we'd get for LUi (Whos still the better goalie imo), and make a strong push for the cup for the next year or 2 (likley the last of the Sedins most productive years).

But the most rational longer term thinking, and best business plan would be to keep Cory, as it would likley help the Canucks to remain strong at that position for longer than Luongo could sustain, which would help to remain competitive eoungh to keep fans heavily interested. If the Nux traded Cory, won the Cup with Lui, and then faded, Im betting that long term business projections would be less than it would if they came up short, but remained relevant.

Its the combination of the two that Gillis is looking for.... How do we make this team a winner for the now, and remain a top club? THats why the price tag on Luongo is sky high. A peice needs to come back that improves the clubs chance of winning now and later.

The best possible outcome.... We keep both for the season, Canucks win the Cup while riding Luongo (who becomes a Vezina finalist adn Conn Smythe candidate), we trade him at the draft for a slew of picks and prospects.

A good sign in this scenario (for those hoping for a mid-season trade) is that the Panthers are now sreiously looking at what they really have in Markstrom. Is he ready to step into a #1 position? Theyre done with Theodore and Clemmenson, and if they are un-satisfied with what they see in Markstrom, Im betting they come closer to Gillis' asking price, and possibly then explore trading Markstrom to fill what possible hole is left from aquiring Luongo.... And theres no question that thered be interest in Markstrom... especially like a team such as Edmonton, who may be willing to part with a young stud or 2.

hmmmm.... proposal time :)

At the deadline:

To Edmonton:
Markstrom
Weiss

To Folrida:
Paajarvi
Gagner
1st round pick

At the draft:

To Florida:
Luongo

To Vancouver:
Bjugstad
1st round pick (Edmonton) or 1st round pick (Florida) whichever is better.

Edited by 70seven, 23 February 2013 - 11:34 AM.

#124 Felix Potvin

Felix Potvin

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:47 AM

Rather trade Schneider than Luongo and see him go to either Washington or Winnipeg. I know Winnipeg has pavelec but don't think he is as good as people think he is

#125 thad

thad

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,189 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 12:20 PM

id imagine gillis has some solid deals on the table for cory but is holding out to see if Lu's recent play and attitude heats up the talks for him closer to the deadline. Id only trade cory if its for a bluechip youngster. If not then i think were better off going forward with the younger goalie

#126 Felix Potvin

Felix Potvin

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 12:34 PM

I think Forsberg would look good in a canucks jersey along with pieces from both sides as well or Bogo from the jets alongs with pieces on both sides there too maybe try and make some kinda deal for Ladd in the same deal just some ideas I think Schneider would love to play in Winnipeg

#127 ForsbergTheGreat

ForsbergTheGreat

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 01:40 PM

id imagine gillis has some solid deals on the table for cory but is holding out to see if Lu's recent play and attitude heats up the talks for him closer to the deadline. Id only trade cory if its for a bluechip youngster. If not then i think were better off going forward with the younger goalie

I doubt it, not for the what the asking price would be. He's not worth it, no goalies are worth the asking price. Why because Lou or cory don't provide THAT much of an upgrade that teams would be will to ship off a bunch of young talent. 80% of teams have decent/good goalies. You don't need a top 10 goalie to make playoffs or even go for a cup run. Teams aren't desperate for goalies. As bad as WSH is year, holtby isn't the main reason for the team poor performance. TOR basically has to only play .500 hockey to make playoffs this year and they've done it with scrivens and Reimer. Hawks are unbeaten this year with crawford and emery in net (not knocking crawford or emery). Lou will be the one traded and for that reason, the return for cory wont be that much greater than what we'd get for luo, and with the cap going down next season, we will benefit from getting rid of luo's contract.

I hope Luo goes to non hockey market, aka florida or tampa, simply because we can see how he plays when he has no pressure (like he has this year) and wont get flamed if he has a bad game. After what he's put up with in Vancouver he deserves that and have fun playing hockey for the rest of his career.

I think Forsberg would look good in a canucks jersey along with pieces from both sides as well or Bogo from the jets alongs with pieces on both sides there too maybe try and make some kinda deal for Ladd in the same deal just some ideas I think Schneider would love to play in Winnipeg

Like I said above. Would Cory be that much of an upgrade for WPG that they'd be willing to move Bogosian? No, then what would they do with Pavelec? They'd be in the same situation trying to move a goalie in a non goalie market.

#128 Canucks_Hockey_101

Canucks_Hockey_101

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 01:46 PM

WPG
Raymond
Ballard
Schneider
1st

VAN
Ladd
Byfuglien

Ladd's got two Cups. That cannot be a nuisance. Byfuglien is one of those Stanley Cup performers too. If the Canucks could somehow get both while keeping most of the team intact, those two players are the type of players that would put Vancouver over the top.

Edited by Canucks_Hockey_101, 23 February 2013 - 01:48 PM.

#129 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,217 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 01:49 PM

Franson is the same player he's been for the last few years - he's just being utilized this yr like he was in Nashville. That's why he 'appears' successful. He's a guy with a good shot, a PP guy, but eats weak minutes. He's always played incredibly sheltered minutes, low even strength TOI, high PP mins, low SH mins, and against really weak competition. Carlyle know how to use him, Wilson didn't.

In AV's system, no way he replaces any d-man in the Canucks top 6, unless they're injured. He's not the type of d-man AV covets. If AV has to 'design' ice time for a defenseman to be successful, he'll be gone quicker than you can say Hodgson.

Exactly my thoughts, the size and offensive ability is intriguing but he eats weak minutes and isn't someone you should rely on. He's not better than anyone we currently have.

zackass.png

#130 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,217 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 01:58 PM

WPG
Raymond
Ballard
Schneider
1st

VAN
Ladd
Byfuglien

Ladd's got two Cups. That cannot be a nuisance. Byfuglien is one of those Stanley Cup performers too. If the Canucks could somehow get both while keeping most of the team intact, those two players are the type of players that would put Vancouver over the top.

In all fairness.

I'm curious as to why you think WPG would do this?

zackass.png

#131 Garrison

Garrison

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 02:01 PM

POPULAR

Why are we trading Schneider now? I don't understand Canuck fans.

#132 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,877 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 02:20 PM

Schneider is certainly easier to move than Luongo. A 26 y/o starter making 4m with an outstanding record and huge potential, vs. a 34 y/o Luongo who is making 6.7m but only has 5.3m on the books for the next 8 years.

Yes, Luongo is playing outstanding, but you can't change the fact that poor teams that are in need of his services can't afford what we're asking in a trade, and can't afford his contract. I think the longer we wait on a Luongo deal the greater decline of value. That being said, I think he is worth more to us than anything we could get back in a Luongo deal. As another poster pointed out, Cannata and Lack coming up will make nice future NHLers, so the term and length of Cory's career becomes less of a concern for this market. 5 years more of Luongo, and who's to say we don't have another Cory in Cannata?

So keep them both for this year, have Schneider start in the playoffs, and see how far that takes us. If we win it all, then it's pretty much guaranteed that one of them will be dealt at the draft, hopefully to a bottom feeder for a high 1st. MG will have more options at the end of the season anyway, and if we do actually get a cup, then the return on either becomes less of a concern.

2d7ye0p.jpg

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#133 Truckin

Truckin

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 02:25 PM

"We are all Canucks" :bigblush:

#134 CookieCrumbs

CookieCrumbs

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,025 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:19 PM

This is hilarious to read through.

#135 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 16,338 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:21 PM

WPG
Raymond
Ballard
Schneider
1st

VAN
Ladd
Byfuglien

And the Jets would trade their captain because...?

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

Gaudreau has one NHL goal whereas all your "prized" prospects have none.

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#136 JimLahey

JimLahey

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,448 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:24 PM

WPG
Raymond
Ballard
Schneider
1st

VAN
Ladd
Byfuglien

Awesome trade! The only thing that will complicate this trade is the Winnipeg Jets,

hL9YqYN.jpg

#137 Garrison

Garrison

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:40 PM

Byfuglien is a god in the peg, just to let you guys know. He will not be traded.

#138 RockNroLLa.

RockNroLLa.

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 07:44 PM

Lu for Brouwer and a 1st. Extend Raymond, trade him and a 2nd for Ott.

#139 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 16,682 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:10 PM

We not trading anyone - there's nothing "official" whatsoever.

This is all pure speculation and arm chair GM wanabes.

The reason why some of us are suggesting Schneider is we would probably get more in return for him and moving him would be easier.

McCoy: We were speculating. Is God really out there?
Kirk: Maybe he's not out there, Bones. Maybe he's right here. [points to his heart]

Posted Image

#140 The Kessing Booth line

The Kessing Booth line

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:21 PM

to SJ- Luongo + Raymond
to Van- Marleau + Demers

#141 sampy

sampy

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,052 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:34 PM

to SJ- Luongo + Raymond
to Van- Marleau + Demers

$7 Mil for no-show Marleau??? Definately not. Terrible trade.

#142 MJDDawg

MJDDawg

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,309 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:30 PM

Seriously...this is exactly what our team needs to get over the hump.

1zchaix.jpg

Always vigilant and on the lookout for Tiger Singh,The Stork, Shamu101, Mangoes, Cucumbers, Proballhockeyplayer, Dal Colle, DontTradeEdler, RespectYourEdlers23, D.T.E. and...

#143 Hobble

Hobble

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 15,662 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:46 PM

WPG
Raymond
Ballard
Schneider
1st

VAN
Ladd
Byfuglien

Thanks, this gave me a good laugh :lol:

Buff > Ballard
Ladd > Raymond
We have Pavelec ( he may not be as good as Schneider, but the Jets are not desperate enough at G position to trade away our top D and captain.
1st is between 25-30th, so it's not so tempting considering the Jets already have a 1st, three 2nds and two 3rds this year (I think)

#144 smurf47

smurf47

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:22 PM

WPG
Raymond
Ballard
Schneider
1st

VAN
Ladd
Byfuglien

another cut and paste from the annointed one....so repetative I bet he e-e-evans s-s-stutters .

#145 canuckfan85

canuckfan85

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:43 PM

WPG
Raymond
Ballard
Schneider
1st

VAN
Ladd
Byfuglien

we are giving up too much here, take out the first and I do it.

I rather

Schneider
booth
Cannauton
2014 first

for

Evander Kane

2013 3rd

#146 Provost

Provost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:45 PM

I honestly don't care who we keep... both have pretty equivalent pro's and con's. Luongo is better now, but more expensive, on a long term contract, and is older. Schneider has more upside for longer and is cheaper.

I bet there hasn't been in instance in the history of the NHL that the goalie leading the league in stats was traded. Who trades the best goalie in the game? Crazy!!!!!

Too bad he would never win the Vezina even with great numbers because he won't have enough starts.

Obviously one guy has to go before next season, but unless we are getting a piece back that makes us better for this year I can totally see us waiting it out.
Protons have mass? I didn't even know they were Catholic!

#147 canuckfan85

canuckfan85

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:45 PM

that trade above

= a starting goaltender with potential to be an all star and a franchise player, a top 6 forward, a B+ prospect, a first round pick.

I know Kane is a franchise player, but their goaltending stinks

#148 CANUCKAHOLIC_9

CANUCKAHOLIC_9

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 01:44 AM

i dont think luo is going anywhere scheids gets us top6,a right shot D and 2 pick a'long side with keith n raymond

Edited by CANUCKAHOLIC_9, 24 February 2013 - 01:45 AM.

#149 BuretoMogilny

BuretoMogilny

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 01:57 AM

I think there are some fair arguments being made finally.

1. As a Business decisions it may start making sense to move Schnieds, as clearly moving Lou isn't as easy as thought and thats given his stellar play. However, people are assuming way to much in regards to Lack and Cannata. They haven't played a game in the NHL and people are suggesting they are at the same level as Schnieds..alot to suggest when those in the NHL think Schieds will be on the next US Olympic team.

2. Reason Lou was being traded folks is 1. He asked for it 2. His play in the playoffs / inconsistency not his regular season play lets not forget that. We may never know if he's overcome those demons in this city.

3. That being said, perhaps all this turmoil, his professionalism, his ability to mature and lighten up has helped his game, allowed him to play more relaxed and stop putting so much pressure on himself. That being said, he has got the easier starts this year - again maybe MG "managing" the trade as he did with CoHO to up his trade value.

I'm not saying he's not playing stellar but has has, for the most, part faced fewer 'offensive' teams than Schnieds, and likely the reason Schnieds doesn't have the great numbers everyone was expecting (not getting the easy games this year). So something to be said about that.

4. Question has to be what happens if the right deal doesn't come during the season. I still think it will before the deadline but if we pass the deadline, then I do believe you go with Cory to start the playoffs and if he falters you go with Lou (hot hand mentality). If Lou carry's the team the nucks get into a no win situation. Contract will still hold back Lou and who would want him traded? Yet now Schnieder's value is down bc people will jump on him as being 'not able to be a number 1'.

5. Best way out is that MG makes a deal to Wash/FLA soon and ends this and we move on with the next chapter.

6. If someone is going to offer us a Stud prospect and a number 1 for schnieds in a great draft you have to listen though, especially if they are a bottom feeder and it could mean a shot at Jones/Mckinnon/Drouin/Barkov.

7. I still think you find a way to work a deal with Washington, get forsberg, their first and some grit. If it means trading Ballard/MayRay as well so be it as both of those players are having resurgent years. Booth can fill MayRay's hole and challenge would be if we lost Ballard, as he and Tanev are playing terrific.

Edited by BuretoMogilny, 24 February 2013 - 02:05 AM.

#150 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,217 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 02:26 AM

Seriously...this is exactly what our team needs to get over the hump.

Trading Lu for a 1st and yet another 3rd liner/tweener is what we need?

And Raymond + 2nd is an overpayment, if Raymond continues this play I wouldn't be eager to do a one-for-one swap.

Thanks, this gave me a good laugh :lol:

Buff > Ballard
Ladd > Raymond
We have Pavelec ( he may not be as good as Schneider, but the Jets are not desperate enough at G position to trade away our top D and captain.
1st is between 25-30th, so it's not so tempting considering the Jets already have a 1st, three 2nds and two 3rds this year (I think)

Yeah that guy likes his Schneider to WPG proposals, and they don't make sense ever really.

I don't understand why WPG needs goaltending all of a sudden. Yeah Pavelec is struggling but he is still a great young goalie with upside, and was your MVP last year. No reason for WPG to do this, at all.

zackass.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.