The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 6.0

I think Gillis feels the heat from the fans here in Vancouver and can't afford to make another bad trade like all of his recent ones.

If there was a year we didn't make the playoffs, this would be the year. It's been a funny season from the beginning. Kesler's injuries and Bieksa dealing with his groin issue. I know time is not on this teams side but lets be realistic, they're not going to win this year with the way the team is right now.

How good would it be if we get lucky and don't make the playoffs, get lucky and get a top 5 draft pick and trade Luongo for something that will help us out for years?

Lou and Ballard, for Ribiero (a rental) and a right D.

The big word in front of the balance was "IF" Which meant moving parts not all of them.

If Orlov with Ribiero; they chuck in a good draft pick!

If they chuck in Carlson with Ribiero; drool, well that was silly anyway, Carlson is too valuable to them... That is where we have to add significant value with Gaunce or Schroeder. Leaves them Backstrom and Johansson who are offensive guys, send them a two way prospect who fill a defensive role over time. Ribiero is a major score this year for any cup crack this year, cap relief next.

If Ribiero and Green for Lou and Ballard; look at this way. Green with 38 points in 97 games at $6 mill, filling a puck rushing void we are definitely missing, plus offering a right handed shot is easily > Ballard who has 15 points in 132 games at $4.2! Think about it? That makes us a cup contender instantly, so yeah I consider closing the deal with a prospect.

In the real world, that's how deals get done rather than waiting for home runs.

Or revert to no Ribiero included, and start looking at Mojo proposals. As much as they need to change their mix, they need a replacement young centre if they lose him; hence Gaunce or Schroeder. We pull ahead two years and some offensive upside in our development.

Put something of substance on the table and we finally get a deal done!

I guess you missed the update.

Green has 38 points in his last 97 games.

At over 6 million a season, he would need to get back in 70 point form before there's any interest in overpaying him.

And let me get this straight - you're proposing

Luo, Ballard, (Schroeder/Gaunce)

for

Ribiero and Orlov or Johansson or (Green)

Drop out of playoffs, win 1st overall, draft Seth Jones.

Luongo

Schroeder

Matthias

2nd

Clemmensen

Sedin Sedin Burrows

Booth Kesler Kassian

Raymond Matthias Hansen

Higgins Lapierre Vestito

Hamhuis Bieksa

Edler Jones

Garrison Tanev

Schneider

Lack

Bombing the season makes a lot of sense since we won't do it again for awhile.

What you are doing is similar to some who were writing Kassian off when he was not scoring at 90 points a year in Chicago.

You have to look at the scouting report and take note of size, speed, puck possesion skills and shooting skills with MoJo. He's not going to score a ton behind Ribiero and Backstrom. Look at the skills, and then project them between Kassian and Booth or Kassian and Jensen with offensive zone starts.

No Kassian deal ever gets done looking at Kassians junior stats compared to CoHo; it's about physical skills.

In addition

1 point

not misrepresentative of his play.

So we spend a bunch of value to get this 22 yr old, who is underachieving, and then what - send him to Chicago, where he'd need to improve his game, and in the meantme, go out and spend some more asset value to get a guy that can actually contribute in the ways the Canucks need - two way 3C who can win faceoffs and contribute at both ends.

I much prefer the concession you made when you proposed Goc.

Yeah I can't see NJD in the running.

They signed Brodeur to a big contract, and he isn't going to take a backseat to Luongo.

Also and more importantly the money issue, they aren't the richest team, I can't see them taking on Luongo's contract especially when they still need to get Clarkson under contract which is likely priority #1 for them now that they got Zajac under contract.

They have some prospects they believe in, Scott Wedgewood being the main one, aswell as Keith Kinkaid and Maxime Clermont.

They are very much a team in transition anyways, they are transitioning from the older guys (Broduer, Elias, Zubrus, Salvador, Tallender, exc.) to younger talent with Matteau, Henrique, Larsson, Josefson, Loktionov exc.

So really they aren't in win now mode and going all in for major success shouldn't be the main focus of theirs. They are a competitive team anyways.

Yeah I can't see NJD in the running.

They signed Brodeur to a big contract, and he isn't going to take a backseat to Luongo.

Also and more importantly the money issue, they aren't the richest team, I can't see them taking on Luongo's contract especially when they still need to get Clarkson under contract which is likely priority #1 for them now that they got Zajac under contract.

They have some prospects they believe in, Scott Wedgewood being the main one, aswell as Keith Kinkaid and Maxime Clermont.

They are very much a team in transition anyways, they are transitioning from the older guys (Broduer, Elias, Zubrus, Salvador, Tallender, exc.) to younger talent with Matteau, Henrique, Larsson, exc.

So really they aren't in win now mode and going all in shouldn't be a priority of theirs.

A little amendment to make things work for the Devils and Caps...

Luongo

Larsson

Brodeur

Orlov

The win-now Caps could use a tandem/mentor in Brodeur, but not committed to a long term contract.

The Devils don't need to goalie shop for another half decade, and get Orlov in return for Brodeur taking the sting out of moving Larsson - injured player for injured player, both addressing needs going forward.

Canucks get that r side guy we all want.

Luongo

Schroeder

Matthias

2nd

Clemmensen

Sedin Sedin Burrows

Booth Kesler Kassian

Raymond Matthias Hansen

Higgins Lapierre Vestito

Hamhuis Bieksa

Edler Jones

Garrison Tanev

Schneider

Lack

Luongo

Schroeder

Matthias

2nd

Clemmensen

Sedin Sedin Burrows

Booth Kesler Kassian

Raymond Matthias Hansen

Higgins Lapierre Vestito

Hamhuis Bieksa

Edler Jones

Garrison Tanev

Schneider

Lack

Bombing the season hmm it's not like this hasn't worked out well before. Ever heard of what the Senators did? Allegedly lost games on purpose to draft Daigle, and people found out and the draft lottery was made. Just because you're last in the league doesn't mean you get first overall dumbass. Plus we're first in our division so why would we do that? Just because we're bad right now doesn't mean we're bad overall. Plus that trade you proposed is terrible. Why would we want clemmensen and matthias? Considering that you don't include him on your roster means that he would be sent down, so the main player we get is matthias??? Trade LUONGO and schoeder for that plug? I just hope you're not serious. Act like you know something about hockey and come back to this thread.

Archived