The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 6.0

Lol no he's not.

Markstrom has been a flop this year, I have watched Floridas last few games & he hasn't been impressive at all. You can tell he is still developing, and is likely at the point Schneider was at in 08 when he got that callup, when Lu was injured. So Lu can help Markstrom grow similar to what he did with Cory, then down the road Lu can retire or something. There are options. He won't play forever.

I think there is a certain price point Florida won't meet, but I think that if we were willing to lower our price to something very reasonable that they would do it. For a number of reasons.

They need better goaltending, as they want to continue the momentum they built last year (which has already taken a hit) but bringing Roberto in would create a buzz has he as one of the best and most popular Panthers of all time. So it would be a draw with the fans.

And since they aren't yet a contender and aren't yet paying to the cap ceiling, the fact he has pretty big cap hit with the bulk of his contract already paid off would also likely be a nice thing.

All this of course coming at a cheaper price and us taking some salary back. This has been my proposed offer:

VAN

Marcel Goc

Alex Petrovic

Scottie Upshall

2nd Round Pick

FLA

Roberto Luongo

Then we throw in some contracts (E.I Tochkin, Ebbet, exc.) To even it up so we are at our limit of 50.

- Upshall can be a 4th liner for the playoffs, or better if injuries set in then we buy him out

- Goc is the 3C we need and he is on a cheap contract which is a bonus (1.7)

- Petrovic is a really nice young prospect, the Panthers seem to have alot of young defenders in Kulikov, and Gudbranson aswell as some coming in Robak, Matheson, and Bengtsson. And then Campbell is still under contract for awhile. So they can afford to give up 1.

- The 2nd is nice to get in this deep draft year

Wouldn't that be a cheap enough price and be enticing enough for FLA to pull the trigger? If not now atleast in the Summer.

Ok. I get it. You are a Florida fan. I get it. You're a closet Luongo fan and want him on your favorite team for Florida's scrap. It's the only logical reason why you would be pushing a Luongo to Florida trade and nothing else.

I get it.

Lol no he's not.

Markstrom has been a flop this year, I have watched Floridas last few games & he hasn't been impressive at all. You can tell he is still developing, and is likely at the point Schneider was at in 08 when he got that callup, when Lu was injured. So Lu can help Markstrom grow similar to what he did with Cory, then down the road Lu can retire or something. There are options. He won't play forever.

I think there is a certain price point Florida won't meet, but I think that if we were willing to lower our price to something very reasonable that they would do it. For a number of reasons.

They need better goaltending, as they want to continue the momentum they built last year (which has already taken a hit) but bringing Roberto in would create a buzz has he as one of the best and most popular Panthers of all time. So it would be a draw with the fans.

And since they aren't yet a contender and aren't yet paying to the cap ceiling, the fact he has pretty big cap hit with the bulk of his contract already paid off would also likely be a nice thing.

All this of course coming at a cheaper price and us taking some salary back. This has been my proposed offer:

VAN

Marcel Goc

Alex Petrovic

Scottie Upshall

2nd Round Pick

FLA

Roberto Luongo

Then we throw in some contracts (E.I Tochkin, Ebbet, exc.) To even it up so we are at our limit of 50.

- Upshall can be a 4th liner for the playoffs, or better if injuries set in then we buy him out

- Goc is the 3C we need and he is on a cheap contract which is a bonus (1.7)

- Petrovic is a really nice young prospect, the Panthers seem to have alot of young defenders in Kulikov, and Gudbranson aswell as some coming in Robak, Matheson, and Bengtsson. And then Campbell is still under contract for awhile. So they can afford to give up 1.

- The 2nd is nice to get in this deep draft year

Wouldn't that be a cheap enough price and be enticing enough for FLA to pull the trigger? If not now atleast in the Summer.

With a great deal of defensive prospects developing, Florida would not be concerned with tandem goaltending of Markstrom and another goalie. They would not be desperate enough to chase for Luongo, giving a solid 2nd-round pick and two reliable wingers.

If tandem goaltending of Markstrom and Theodore/Clemmensen does not work, they might look for UFA or other teams, before they try trading for Luongo, considering his expensive cap.

At best, their trade offer might be the following:

To Florida:

G Roberto Luongo

To Vancouver:

C Marcel Goc

D Petrovic

3rd round pick

or

Luongo, Ballard

for

Goc, Petrovic, 2nd, Strachan

With a great deal of defensive prospects developing, Florida would not be concerned with tandem goaltending of Markstrom and another goalie. They would not be desperate enough to chase for Luongo, giving a solid 2nd-round pick and two reliable wingers.

If tandem goaltending of Markstrom and Theodore/Clemmensen does not work, they might look for UFA or other teams, before they try trading for Luongo, considering his expensive cap.

At best, their trade offer might be the following:

To Florida:

G Roberto Luongo

To Vancouver:

C Marcel Goc

D Petrovic

3rd round pick

or

Luongo, Ballard

for

Goc, Petrovic, 2nd, Strachan

I would feel alot more comfortable acquiring Matthias. He's the big strong two way center we need, and he's having a pretty good season so far. Former Red Wings pick too, so you know there's something there.

If we're giving up anything of value, it would be safer to go with the younger player IMO. Alot more chance that we'll re-sign him, and it won't be another Pahlsson situation.

Higgins Matthias Hansen would be a formidable checking line.

Didn't you and I have this argument some pages ago SK? I agree with your latest position.

When it comes to the value of a 20 year old most promising defenseman, I think the point is worth making that 1st round picks don't necessarily turn out to be better than 2nd round picks - and there is no real way of knowing other than letting time tell.

What I'm saying is that a deal for Goc, Petrovic, and a 2nd, imo is preferable to a deal for a single highly touted prospect. I think people get really carried away assuming a top 5 or 10 pick is a cornerstone of a franchise. The odds are actually otherwise.

The untouchable John Carlsson was selected 27th in the year Luke Schenn went 3rd, ahead of Pietrangelo, Karlsson, and the beloved Jake Gardner.

There is no real way of knowing whether Larsson will turn out to be a better NHL defenseman than Alex Petrovic. If there were, a player like Shea Weber would not have been selected 49th.

So I'm going to rescind my hair-brained proposal of mere Luongo for a promising prospect like Larsson - what was I thinking? - and I'm gonna get behind your idea, of going after Goc and Petrovic because I like that deal better anyway, and the 2nd that is added into your proposal, well who knows who that could turn out to be?

I would feel alot more comfortable acquiring Matthias. He's the big strong two way center we need, and he's having a pretty good season so far. Former Red Wings pick too, so you know there's something there.

If we're giving up anything of value, it would be safer to go with the younger player IMO. Alot more chance that we'll re-sign him, and it won't be another Pahlsson situation.

Higgins Matthias Hansen would be a formidable checking line.

I would say no to Goc. We need size and durability for our third line. Goc has proven to have injury issues, and would have it tough in the much tougher Western Conference.

Good faceoff guy, and is the more skilled player. But I think Matthias would have more of the tools needed going up against the big teams in the west.

Thing about it is.

Goc is a really underrated player, he is better at everything than Mattias aside form physicality due to Mattias's size advantage.

He also isn't a rental and is undercontract at a great cap hit of 1.7 Million. A real bargain. That's likely what Mattias may request, or maybe more, who knows. The point of that part of it though is for the here and now, for our cup run. Which would favor Goc.

Another thing with these players that have rising stocks, they usually establish that they are much better than originially thought quickly after the draft, Carlsson did, Weber did, and even as an example here Corrado did the following season. Petrovic didn't he just continued developing along the expected path.

I think mattias would be a good pickup, he played almost a full year last year, Goc is a decent pickup but Mattias has a bit more size to him and like an above poster said, hes probably more built to last a long playoff run. Goc could do well but he could get an injury in the 2nd round.

Either way one of these two players would be a good addition, cant believe Matthias is only 25.

Petrovic is a nice piece in a luongo deal. But he may not be ready to help us out for another year or so. He is a right handed shot and I have to believe MG goes out and gets another rhd in some way shape or form. I think its best to move the obvious lefty in Ballard. We would look like complete assholes if we traded edler after just resigning him, and players would see that as a big negative.

I would like to see us maybe get mueller as someone who could help us now, and I have always like Shore, but hes played well in the big league and has raised his value not sure Tallon wants to trade him until maybe after the draft when they know who they have taken with their potential top 5 pick

Archived