The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 6.0

Well I think now is the time GMs start deciding what they have in front of them. I imagine Gillis never thought the team would struggle this much, conversely it's probably a shock to Talon as well, that the team that won their division last year is at the bottom of the league. With the trade deadline approaching, GMs are deciding what they need, and whether or not they will be buyers or sellers in short order.

Florida is almost guaranteed to miss a playoff spot, so I can't see them looking to get immediate goaltending help in Luongo. It's pretty hard to justify a rebuild with a 34y/o between the pipes.

What's happening in Vancouver is an even bigger head scratcher, as the perennial president trophy winners are battling for a playoff spot. But what both these teams have in common is a lack of identity going forward.

Vancouver was previously known as a puck possession team, but with the loss of Manny Malhotra and Ryan Kesler, faceoff aces which would normally win the draws and gain possession are missing. Add to the the utter lack of secondary scoring, combined with a 2nd line featuring Raymond as a centre, and you're looking at some pretty big gaps. So what Gillis needs to decide, is whether this team will continue along the path of what it's been in the past, a dominant 2 way possession game or move in a different direction.

If MG is still of the 'win now' attitude, then trading Schneider for a proven centre and some toughness is needed, and quickly. If MG wants to begin a sort of rebuild, then move Luongo, Ballard, and Booth along with their gross cap hits for what ever you can get back. What Gillis cannot continue to do is wait and watch this team dig it's own grave. By the deadline Gillis should decide if it's a win now team, or a rebuild, as continuing down this path could well lead to a low seed and a first round exit.

Well I think now is the time GMs start deciding what they have in front of them. I imagine Gillis never thought the team would struggle this much, conversely it's probably a shock to Talon as well, that the team that won their division last year is at the bottom of the league. With the trade deadline approaching, GMs are deciding what they need, and whether or not they will be buyers or sellers in short order.

Florida is almost guaranteed to miss a playoff spot, so I can't see them looking to get immediate goaltending help in Luongo. It's pretty hard to justify a rebuild with a 34y/o between the pipes.

What's happening in Vancouver is an even bigger head scratcher, as the perennial president trophy winners are battling for a playoff spot. But what both these teams have in common is a lack of identity going forward.

Vancouver was previously known as a puck possession team, but with the loss of Manny Malhotra and Ryan Kesler, faceoff aces which would normally win the draws and gain possession are missing. Add to the the utter lack of secondary scoring, combined with a 2nd line featuring Raymond as a centre, and you're looking at some pretty big gaps. So what Gillis needs to decide, is whether this team will continue along the path of what it's been in the past, a dominant 2 way possession game or move in a different direction.

If MG is still of the 'win now' attitude, then trading Schneider for a proven centre and some toughness is needed, and quickly. If MG wants to begin a sort of rebuild, then move Luongo, Ballard, and Booth along with their gross cap hits for what ever you can get back. What Gillis cannot continue to do is wait and watch this team dig it's own grave. By the deadline Gillis should decide if it's a win now team, or a rebuild, as continuing down this path could well lead to a low seed and a first round exit.

The other thing is that if can keep our top two or three picks this year we will get an infusion to the AHL in two years. That's just enough time to evaluate a few college players and overagers who slipped through the cracks. Heck, Myles Bell is still floating out there and the AVs haven't offered Troy Rutkowski a contract. We could takes some chances.

doubt philly wants to move brayden schenn. But would Schneider for schenn be fair enough for both sides?

He can step in to top six, has on year after this with a cap hit of 3.1m. so the difference in salary would still allow us to be cap compliant.

i Like the simplicity of this deal

doubt philly wants to move brayden schenn. But would Schneider for schenn be fair enough for both sides?

He can step in to top six, has on year after this with a cap hit of 3.1m. so the difference in salary would still allow us to be cap compliant.

i Like the simplicity of this deal

The time to trade a goalie was last summer, as more time passes Gillis is in a more difficult position to move one of them at all, let alone get a good return. Both Luongo and Schneider are great goalies, without question, but they are not the only option out there. Given the drop in salary cap next year you could argue there are a lot of better options out there then these two (when you factor in both play and cap hit).

- Anderson: lights out goalie with two years (after this one) left at $3.187 million

- Lehner: very solid season, one year left (after this one) at $875,000 then he's an RFA

- Bishop: solid prosect, $650,000 then RFA in the summer

- Hiller: very good goalie, one year left (after this one) at $4.5 million

- Bernier: Highly touted up and comer, $1.25 million and an RFA in the summer

- Miller: the most expensive of the bunch, but he has only one year left (after this one) at $6.25 million. He's an all-star goalie with a short term contract at this point

- Elliot: He's struggled this year, but he may be worth the risk at $1.8 million through the 2014 season

I'm not saying Luongo or Schneider won't or can't be dealt, but it will be a lot more difficult than most people may think. On top of the above list how many teams are actually in desperate need of a goalie. For those that are, will their GM be willing to pay Gillis' high asking prove for Luongo or Schneider or will they try for one of the above goalies.

I don't know how the goalie situation will unfold in Vancouver, but it will be interesting.

I would say that Bryzgalov would be the most untradable goalie on the market. See my previous posts today. If those 4 teams are looking for a goalie there are a lot better (and less risky) options out there than Bryz. The Flyers are stuck with this contract until they buy him out.

Excellent post - my thoughts one some of your suggestions:

Anderson - don't see Ottawa letting him walk

Bishop/Lehner/ - could end up like Elliott this year - lights out one year brutal the next year (not sure you build a franchise around these guys)

Bernier - unproven to me considering he has had to play behind Quick in LA

But this still leaves us with Hillier and Miller - both more attractive than Luongo due to his contract. But Schneider offers proven experience and at a decent cap hit.

I still agree with the point you are making - to me seems almost impossible to move Luo's contract unless we eat some of the cap. Schneids is the easier one to move but do we hitch all our horses to Lou then? Personally I think no matter which goalie we keep MG (if he stays GM) needs to rework the defence and move one of the top 4 and bring in that stay at home bruising D man most teams covet. I also think he needs to address our overall size - look at teaqms like LA last year and Boston the year before - big nasty teams. As much as this league preaches skill it seems brawn over skill gets you a cup. Small fast skating teams tend to struggle in the -playoffs when the whistles get put away and mugging/clutch and grab hockey take over.

So can we move Lou and address the team size issue with a D man and a big top 9 guy - to me Gillis has set the bar so high on a deal for Lou it just might not happen. I agree Lou is worth a top 6 guy a prospect and a draft pick - if he didnt have the contract he does coming along with him. Gillis may need to lower his expectations or be faced with the prospect of a buyout in the summer and losing Lou for nothing at all.

I don't know why everyone's talking about Briere, he has already said he will not waive his NTC under any circumstance. He has 3 boys and likes his situation, zero reason to approve a trade, especially across the continent.

I want Simmonds. The kid can hit, fight an score.

Keep Edler. He's young, high potential and on a good contract for a while. Good dmen are hard to get.

Dream trade:

To Van:

SchennS, Simmonds, Leighton

To Philly

Lu, Ballard, Shroeder, Raymond, KConn, 1st

I don't know why everyone's talking about Briere, he has already said he will not waive his NTC under any circumstance. He has 3 boys and likes his situation, zero reason to approve a trade, especially across the continent.

I want Simmonds. The kid can hit, fight an score.

Keep Edler. He's young, high potential and on a good contract for a while. Good dmen are hard to get.

Dream trade:

To Van:

SchennS, Simmonds, Leighton

To Philly

Lu, Ballard, Shroeder, Raymond, KConn, 1st

So Philly will have Bryz locked up at $5.666 until 2020 and Luo at $5.333 until 2022?

People, I know Bryz is underperforming but there's no way Philly can move him and they're not taking on another long-term goalie contract. Until we hear that the Flyers have bought out Bryz there's no point even thinking about a Vancouver/Philly trade involving Luo or Schnieder.

I think the Getzlaf signing helps the Canucks out with Luongo's contract. It definitely makes it more affordable and doesn't look so bad. If Brodeur can make $4.5mill for the next 2 years at age 40 and 41, why can't Luongo?

I think Gillis is thinking the same way. The media and other Gms are devaluing Lu and Gillis knows his contract isn't that bad.

If you want to talk about untradeable contracts lets look at some,

Ovechkin $9.5mill until 2021

Lecavalier $7.7mill until 2020

those are to name a couple that are obvious.

So Philly will have Bryz locked up at $5.666 until 2020 and Luo at $5.333 until 2022?

People, I know Bryz is underperforming but there's no way Philly can move him and they're not taking on another long-term goalie contract. Until we hear that the Flyers have bought out Bryz there's no point even thinking about a Vancouver/Philly trade involving Luo or Schnieder.

Unfortunately, with the cap hit situation I think you need to move a winger. Raymond, as improved as he has been, is still a UFA at seasons end that could be interesting as an option for a team like the Isles looking for mid range skill. Higgins is in the same position but fits a different need that we don't have excess of. If one of them needs to go to improve the backend it's better it's Raymond.

Well, Grabner is injured right now... :P

Then why wouldn't those teams trade for Luongo instead of Bryz? Luongo is much better and brings better star power to whatever team he goes to, which is why Florida is such a good fit for him.

Perhaps if Philly is offering Bryz and his contract at rock bottom prices they can get a buyer, but even then I doubt it as someone would go for an option like Bishop for relatively cheap in the hopes he can be better. It's either go with a not so expensive, unproven option, or spend and get a proven option with a contract to match.

Hiller's had some concerns the last couple years, and Miller's been generally bad, so Luongo may still be a very good option for a team that has cap space.

Archived