The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 6.0

I wonder what you guys think about TOR's current situation, and whether there is a more trade friendly context now?

With Gardiner's agent causing a muck, and with Gardiner himself not critical to the TOR line up atm, perhaps now he is a tradeable asset?

With TOR strong playoff push a guy like Loungo might solidify their chances in the playoffs? Hanging onto Scrivens would be a very able back up as well.

With Gardiner being the centre piece, perhaps Reimer comes back our way. And perhaps the Canucks trade Reimer in the off season etc if they choose to find a cheaper back up.

Long-time reader, first-time poster here...

I am neither a Luongo hater nor a pseudo-hockey fan who can't see what he's brought to this organization, but I'm 100% pro-Schneider. Your ignorance about the game and blind faith in Lou is doing a number on your clarity. Luongo has been, at the very least, a solid playoff performer with good numbers; but true 'money' goaltenders (the Roys, the Haseks, the Belfours, etc.) that are cemented in their franchises' respective histories have found a way to take their game to a level Luongo has never reached (and at this point, may never reach). It's a changing of the guard, simple as that.

I'm a goaltender, trained with excellent goalie coaches over the years, and watch the position carefully on a nightly basis. Corey Schneider is among the most technical goaltenders in the league - strong positionally, powerful legs, and plays safe. But, he's not a strict robotic blocking goalie, so although he's not making windmill glove saves quite like Lou, he's still willing to break from his fundamentals to make a desperation save. Not only is he the best goalie in the Canucks organization, he's also the most-level headed when approached by media, and knows that a bad game rests on his shoulders to improve upon. Schneider is the type of goalie any team would dream of having, and although he hasn't accomplished much in his career to date, a win-now team like the Canucks is a perfect place for a star to develop as a starter and turn into a pure winner.

Think of it this way: if we have a kid who legitimately makes us question the greatest goalie we've ever had, how is that possibly a bad thing? Lou was our MVP just a few years ago, but he hasn't won when we needed him most... so it's not a knock on him, we just want a cup. Hopefully he finds his elsewhere, but it won't be for Vancouver. Please realize this.

Apollo is over-the-top with his Lu adoration and even you (a staunch Lu lover) have to agree his statements are ridiculous.

I have a lot of respect for Lu and know the team's failures are not all on his shoulders, just like I know their successes are not all his doing.

I have yet to see a post from Apollo that doesn't ram Lu's abilities/contribution down CDC's throat. He is constantly high-jacking non-relateded threads to spew his pro Lu doctrine.

Funny thing is, he does more harm than good for Lu's reputation by being so delusional in his assessment of LU's contribution.

As for civility...visit a few of Apollo's posts and see how he refers to those who want Lu traded. Civil indeed!

Long-time reader, first-time poster here...

I am neither a Luongo hater nor a pseudo-hockey fan who can't see what he's brought to this organization, but I'm 100% pro-Schneider. Your ignorance about the game and blind faith in Lou is doing a number on your clarity. Luongo has been, at the very least, a solid playoff performer with good numbers; but true 'money' goaltenders (the Roys, the Haseks, the Belfours, etc.) that are cemented in their franchises' respective histories have found a way to take their game to a level Luongo has never reached (and at this point, may never reach). It's a changing of the guard, simple as that.

I'm a goaltender, trained with excellent goalie coaches over the years, and watch the position carefully on a nightly basis. Corey Schneider is among the most technical goaltenders in the league - strong positionally, powerful legs, and plays safe. But, he's not a strict robotic blocking goalie, so although he's not making windmill glove saves quite like Lou, he's still willing to break from his fundamentals to make a desperation save. Not only is he the best goalie in the Canucks organization, he's also the most-level headed when approached by media, and knows that a bad game rests on his shoulders to improve upon. Schneider is the type of goalie any team would dream of having, and although he hasn't accomplished much in his career to date, a win-now team like the Canucks is a perfect place for a star to develop as a starter and turn into a pure winner.

Think of it this way: if we have a kid who legitimately makes us question the greatest goalie we've ever had, how is that possibly a bad thing? Lou was our MVP just a few years ago, but he hasn't won when we needed him most... so it's not a knock on him, we just want a cup. Hopefully he finds his elsewhere, but it won't be for Vancouver. Please realize this.

After watching last nights game it made me want a guy like Dubinsky more. He's the kind of guy you win with in the playoffs. I know he's $4mill but he'll be well worth it come playoff time.

The whole goalie trade would be better served getting a Brierre, Simmonds type package.

The only that scares me with the Canucks is that we don't have anyone other than the twins with magic hands. We need a skill full type of a guy. Brierre would be nice with the kind of hands he has but his contract would kill us. We need a sniper type of player. The Canucks don't seem to have anything like that coming up in the system. Hodgson was the closest thing to it we had.

The number one goalie in my opinion is expected to steal games when the team in front of him dont perform, Luongo has not been perfect by any means this season but if Schneider wants to be the undisputed #1 his play has to improve like he said, as it is right now Luongo is outplaying him, stats prove this. Trade either one get what we need and if that dosent work replace the coaching staff, they have become stale in there coaching strategies anyway.

Edit - Luongo is gone at some point but being a shortened season there is little room for error both on convincing teams they cant live without Lu and Cory proving he can handle the workload of a #1 goaltender,

Trade him now.

The Leafs should be hitting the panic button right about now. They're on the cusp of their perenial collapse.

Luo, Weise, Ebbett for Gardiner, Frattin, Scrivens, Steckel (UFA)

and then

Gardiner, Connauton for Couturier, Gervais

Ballard for Streit (UFA).

Sedins Burrows

Booth Kesler/Couturier Kassian

Higgins Couturier/Raymond Hansen

Lappy Steckel Frattin

Pinizzotto Schroeder Jensen

Hamhius Bieksa

Edler Streit

Garrison Tanev

Alberts Gervais

Schneider Scrivens Lack

Scrivens is a UFA in a year - time for Lack to recover.

Re-sign Streit if possible and Steckel (a great faceoff guy).

Frattin adds some scoring punch to the 4th line, is gritty enough for the role - and has 3/2 tweener upside.

Good cap condition moving forward.

Leafs fans overvalue their concussed, sheltered, imprisoned prospect imo.

Carlyle isn't the kind of coach to be told who is and is not ready for his lineup.

The Leafs are trying to change their identity from porous to actually difficult to play against.

As you can see, I'm not particularly interested in Gardiner either - I'd be banking on his resale/hype value.

Frattin or no deal.

I realize they're starting to call Scrivens Scrivezina, but they also started to pencil themselves into the playoffs a week ago.

He's a decent backup with a year left before he's a UFA.

Steckel is watching games from the press box.

I don't think the value is that off - Ebbett, Weise, Steckel, Scrivens...

Luo for Gardiner and Frattin. If they'd like, we can sub in Connauton...

Another stinker for Bryz with the Flyers falling out of playoff hope.

The Flyers still owe Bryz $35M of his $51M horrendous contract and are paying him until he's 40. Add on to the fact that he has a contract that back dives so if he retires early Philly gets dinged big. Snyder wants a for sure goalie, which they thought they were getting in Bryz, no prospect. Been there done that too. Lu would be a great fit and help turn them around.

To Van:

SchennS and Leighton

To Philly:

Lu, Shroeder, Ballard, KConn, 2nd

Luke is a physical RHD with upside and Brayden is going to be a very good centremen in the NHL for a long time.

Getting Talbot and/or Simmonds in a bigger deal would be great.

Archived