The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 6.0

In performance you mean Schneider's 2.68 GAA and .912 Sv% over Luongo's 1.45 GAA and .941 Sv%?

I understand being humble indeed. But chosing a lesser goaltender who, considering his age and status, SHOULD be competing for his job considering his situation, over a stable goaltender with the NHL's top GAA is assinine at best.

Here is the thing, all of a sudden Schneider is now facing more pressure then a Stanley Cup Final everytime he steps on the ice. His ability to be a number 1 is all the media is talking about, and he spouted off all this crap about how much he respected and liked Luongo and how he will miss him. Now Luongo is still here so everytime Cory gets the coin toss in his favor, he is playing not only for the win, but also for his job, how the media thinks of him, how the fans think of him, how the management thinks of him.

Schneider is under all this pressure and he is doing OK. I think this is great news for us Canucks fans. Cory has shown us that although he may struggle under pressure, he acknowledges it and overcomes it. He is exactly the kind of net minder you want going into the playoffs. He is the kind of goaltender that can stand on his head in a game 7. I for one would be very happy to have Schneider as our official starter.

Luongo is known as the king of chokes. Since all this has happened, Lu has learned how to make light of the situation and winning over fans with his personality. All of suden the pressure is off of Luongo, and it shows as he is easily the best goal tender in the NHL when he is on his game and he is being consistent. I believe that Luongo has found ways to cope with the pressure and he has developed mental tools that he previously did not possess. I for one would be very happy to have Luongo as our official starter.

The thing is, we are experiencing a Luongo with no pressure on him, nothing to lose. Trade Schneider and we see the old Luongo back, guaranteed.

On the other hand, it's the worst case scenario for Schneids. Annointed the #1 position, he is always having to be looking over hos shoulder and hasn't been allowed to get on a roll. I had thought that the situation could exist, for the best, for the season, but I think MG is causing some serious damage by handling this the way he has.

If the Nucks tank this playoffs, I think we may see wholesales changes to management and coaching in the off season

Oh I've had my share of question marks:

Why did Burrows bite a finger?

Why does Kesler keep diving?

Why have the Sedins disappeared year after year?

Why was Rome suspended, and that, for a historical length of time?

Why wasn't anyone suspended after breaking Raymond's back?

Why couldn't the Canucks score more?

I did have my share of questions. But regarding Luongo, indeed sometimes he'll crap the bed. He'll also win enough to get you there. Do others have the same desire on this team? Some do yes.

The touchy feely stuff about Lou is a slice. In his summer of discontent Lou reassessed his game and his persona and experienced a rebirth. He might enjoy his refound favor with Canuck fans but after the first playoff loss that will evaporate as quickly as helium out of a poped ballon.

Don't get me wrong I wish the best for Lou. I also admit that his game has pretty muched eliminated the forward flop and swim. In retrospect this is not enough to jump on the Lou over Schneids bandwagon. My preference still resides with Schneids because of; his standup style, his youth, his peerformance under pressure, his contract length and cost and for what Lou's trade can bring back to the Canucks.

There has never been a debate about Lou's ability during regular season play.

That's twice now my post has been misinterpreted. Nothing of what I wrote should be interpreted as an emotional response, I've been a Schneider supporter the entire time. Rather, my post was speaking about the economic concept of declining returns, which is the case we have with Luongo right now. In this respect, I believe Luongo's value to this team is far greater than what any other team is willing to pay for him in a trade. Because of that, I believe Schneider becomes the easier and more likely candidate to be moved. An emotional response from me would say just the opposite, that we should trade Luongo and keep Schneider.

At this point the best thing for the team is to keep both goaltenders until the season is over. There is nothing we can acquire in an immediate trade of either goalie that would boost our team. I believe it will be Schneider starting in the playoffs, and we will ride him as far as it takes us. The trade, I see happening at the draft, and whichever goaltender does get moved it will hopefully be for a high pick.

I don't think his worth has dropped due to one bad game. Hes still a solid goaltender. I think this is more of a wake up call saying some changes need to be made, and in my own opinion Luongo is the one to be moved. I mean, he did ask for a trade right? It just makes sense to me.

Archived