158 replies to this topic

#91 CanuckCup1316

CanuckCup1316

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:21 AM

My question is if Hansens arm out in there makeing contact with Hossa backing up in to it is a suspension, then what is fighting? With this rule every time two players get in to a fight, and land at least one blow to the head, they should at least get one game. Or what about when players were punching the Sedins in the head repeaditly in the playoffs. That was on purpose and direct contact to the head. I mean I dont want to rag on Hossa but if that light amount of contact to the head causes injury then his hockey career is over.

#92 coastal1

coastal1

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:55 AM

hockey fan... we're all hockey fans. we deserve a league without Bettman and keystone cop referees.

That's a beauty. Because you are a hockey fan you DESERVE a league without Bettman! I won't even get into a comparison with the MLB's Bud Selig or NFL's Goodell (nice job with the New Orleans fiasco) or Stern, all of whom make Bettman look like a genius. But where is this DESERVE from, is this a legal right?? Did past hockey fans get what they deserved with Clarence Campbell? Nobody is forcing anyone to watch the NHL.The fact is there are more NHL fans now than ever. I know, I know, Bettman and his 3 lockouts has killed the game, and so many fans in Vancouver are not watching anymore,but funny thing is, attendance and TV ratings are up! My point remains, if this is such a bush league, why does it keep getting more popular?? Maybe because more and more people think it's a great league?

#93 DaMacNamedDre

DaMacNamedDre

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:00 AM

That's a beauty. Because you are a hockey fan you DESERVE a league without Bettman! I won't even get into a comparison with the MLB's Bud Selig or NFL's Goodell (nice job with the New Orleans fiasco) or Stern, all of whom make Bettman look like a genius. But where is this DESERVE from, is this a legal right?? Did past hockey fans get what they deserved with Clarence Campbell? Nobody is forcing anyone to watch the NHL.The fact is there are more NHL fans now than ever. I know, I know, Bettman and his 3 lockouts has killed the game, and so many fans in Vancouver are not watching anymore,but funny thing is, attendance and TV ratings are up! My point remains, if this is such a bush league, why does it keep getting more popular?? Maybe because more and more people think it's a great league?

simply put its the best team sport in the world and we've got complete fools sandbagging it.
The NHL is bush league at the executive level.

The Ikea Monkey could have grown the game more than Bettman has the past 20 years.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Posted ImageBodee, on 18 April 2012 - 11:07 AM, said:

I haven't been a supporter of the Canucks for long. Mainly because firstly I know nothing about NHL and secondly ESPN America only started showing NHL 3 years ago.

http://forum.canucks.com/topic/328055-whats-wrong-with-me
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

#94 Boudrias

Boudrias

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,198 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:22 AM

Ya, I'm sure Bettman jumped on this incident when it crossed his desk! I am sure he cross checked Shanny in the hallway as he got the media flyer out. Come on people.

On one of the rare occasions I agreed with Kypreos. If Hossa wasn't injured it wasn't a suspension. It becomes immaterial if Hanson had any intent. The NHL is worried about public opinion and the number of head injuries.

Don't get me going on the conspiracy theories. I have harboured fears ever since 2011. Vancouver is one of those rare franchises that is better than healthy. There is very little business reason to have them win a CUP. That said I believe they have enough seniority to be the next Canadian CUP winner. :)

#95 EmployeeoftheMonth

EmployeeoftheMonth

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,488 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:27 AM

The more I think about it, the more I think the Stanley Cup appeared to have been rigged.

Jeremy Jacobs, owner of the Bruins, is also the chairman for the Board of Governors, someone who has a lot of influence and power in this mafia like league. The Aquillinis are nobodies compares to Jacobs.

So...you're Nomorebettman aren't you?
Posted Image
Posted Image

#96 Oregon Canucky

Oregon Canucky

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:36 AM

If you ever wonder about the consistency of calls...

Just look at this thread.
Imagine all of us were on a board, making decisions, about who to suspend/fine.
We all root for the same team and still wouldn't be able to make a decision one way or the other on ANY of the provided footage.

I do agree that there is bias in regard to superstars... but, from a business standpoint, they are worth way more!
They get paid more; they bring in more money and everyone has their eyes on them.
Does that make it right? I Personally dont think so...

But life isnt fair.

If any poor guy puts his hands on a rich man, hes gonna get the book thrown at him. Its a sad fact of life.

Edited by Oregon Canucky, 21 February 2013 - 09:38 AM.

Posted Image

Portland Oregon: The first U.S. city to play for the Stanley Cup!

#97 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,581 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:38 AM

did hansen even make contact with hossa's head? from what i saw it looked like it was just the upper back, and it didn't even look like it was hard. I'm pretty much stayed away from the topic in general though, so a clear screencap of head contact would be appreciated.

Also: every fanbase thinks the NHL is biased against them, guess what... they aren't.

#98 Dellins

Dellins

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,708 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:40 AM

No one is out to get us so cry more. At one time or another there are 29 other teams' fans who think the same thing and they are wrong as well. The problem is inconsistency, and boy is it a big problem.

#99 bossram

bossram

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,943 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:54 AM

Lol, I have no problem with one game. Get over it people.

Exactly. I don't have a problem over the length of the suspension. In my opinion it was a hockey play gone wrong. But the League deemed it a hit to the head - intentional or not - and the punishment is in line with similar hits.

My problem is the criteria for these suspensions. Everyone knows if you hit a star play you will get more punishment. It's not stated, but everyone knows it. If that's Bollig, no one has a problem. 2nd, injuries should have no bearing on the punishment. That's just stupid. If Hossa gets up, Hansen doesn't get suspended. Does that change Hansen's act? No.

The League needs to stand its ground. If it was a hit to the head, it's a hit to the head. No more "injury on the play" BS. You could absolutely destroy a guy with a headshot, but if he gets up, you don't deserve as harsh a punishment? Doesn't make sense.
What is the deal with Mike Gillis, it always seems like he's sweating...

#100 jono2009

jono2009

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:14 AM

1 game, get over it and move on. i am pissed about it too but nothing we can do.

#101 Rhinocook

Rhinocook

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:18 AM

The Chicago announcers also claimed Hansen deliberately slashed Bolland in the last game.

BAAAHHHHHAAAAHHHAAAA! deliberately slashed???!!!!! ummmm if all the "deliberate" slashes cause the Chicago announcers to form opinions on NHL players, they must think 99.9% of the players in the league are dirty and have some sort of intent to injure! Every player deliberately slashes a couple times a game!!! It's part of the game. Just watch one battle in front of the net in any given game and you will see a couple of these astonishing "deliberate" slashes!

move on
Sig is way too large, 500KB limit

#102 Forsy

Forsy

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:37 AM

If you ever wonder about the consistency of calls...

Just look at this thread.
Imagine all of us were on a board, making decisions, about who to suspend/fine.
We all root for the same team and still wouldn't be able to make a decision one way or the other on ANY of the provided footage.

I do agree that there is bias in regard to superstars... but, from a business standpoint, they are worth way more!
They get paid more; they bring in more money and everyone has their eyes on them.
Does that make it right? I Personally dont think so...

But life isnt fair.

If any poor guy puts his hands on a rich man, hes gonna get the book thrown at him. Its a sad fact of life.

Consistency in suspensions has nothing to do with a vast group of people having a vast array of opinions. We're talking about one guy, Shanahan, who is supposed to be in charge. If he had followed his initial doctrine, the suspensions would have been called fairly (doesn't happen) or at the very least consistently (still under debate).

The only consistency that can be shown is that there is bias towards supporting superstars (understandable), and supporting American teams (ridiculous). Canadian teams get fairly treated, but the superstars and american teams get preferential treatment.

Edited by Forsy, 21 February 2013 - 10:37 AM.

#103 gizmo2337

gizmo2337

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 958 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:44 AM

NHL is the best bush league in the world. Bush league officiating is a joke, Gary Bettman a*! clown.

Fixed

#104 Quoted

Quoted

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,268 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:44 AM

It's this automatic cry of "bias" any time something doesn't go Vancouver's way that gives our fan base a bad reputation. Did the Predators call "conspiracy" or "incompetance" on that off-side goal? Yes, the NHL's officiating and discipline is inconsistent and at times inexplicable. That doesn't make it any kind of conspiracy directed at Vancouver.

#105 Vansicle

Vansicle

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,595 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:02 AM

Yah, your too whiney. Your experience in the past is clouding your "vision" of the present. Hansen re-concussed Hossa. Pretty big deal. So all those plays you mentioned vs Boston were terrible and sucked, they have nothing to do with this. Although I dont think Hansen did it on purpose, the one game suspension is a gift. He could've got worse. Dont let sour grapes ruin your love of the game. Sh*t happens!

That absolutely did not happen. Hossa was no more "concussed" than I am when I accidentally open the cupboard a little too impatiently and bump my head against it. He was selling the call. That cannot be debated after his miraculous un-concussion today, the day after Hansen's suspension.

Snake Doctor, on 23 May 2014 - 10:41 AM, said:snapback.png

Miller is not on our list. It's Lack as our #1. There is no reason we would have traded both Schnieder and Luongo if we never intended to give Lack the #1 starting job.  Furthermore, the salary and term Miller is looking for is not in our favor.

#106 lolwut?

lolwut?

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:09 AM

Stop whining. The only way to fight the bias is to stop watching altogether and COST THE NHL MONEY.

Only when this happens will bias be gone and the NHL will know that screwing around won't work anymore. You're complaining while giving them the perfect conditions to screw you over. If you don't want bias, make them pay for it by not watching. If the game is so unbearable (like DebLuvs said), then stop watching.

so thats it then? just everyone stops watching and then this bias *poof* disappears!? wow youre crazy if you think this is true.. CRAZY

the bias has been and always will be there. that said bias is only part of it.. I mean its not like this league has a history of getting the calls right.. this league and its "discipline" standards as well as the on ice officiating will continue to deteriorate and we are seeing this happen as each season goes by.. how is the league supposed to be properly officiated and players given proper and fair discipline when:

1) there is a clear bias toward certain teams whether that bias be good or bad
2) the league changes rules, some in the moddle of the season as we've seen without proper training of the officials
3) the officials are obviously incapable.. nuff said. watch any game these days and you will see officials screwing right up multiple times, perhaps to "manage" the game as some would beleive
4) disciplne is not standardized or consistent at all and seems to be based more on the injury caused, the player that was injured, the history of the offending player, and the teams involved.. never mind the already mentioned bias
sad but true. imo these are some of the ways that explain how along with an obvious bias the league is currently handling the officiating and discipline of this game.
anyone who has watched the nhl in the past 6 seasons would have to be utterly blind to not see how this league and its reputation for being fair, consistent and honorable has taken a huge hit.. when players and coachesand refs alike dont even know what is or isnt a penalty anymore, that pretty much just sums it all up doesnt it? its a complete wash anytime you watch hockey these days and there is nobody o blame but the league and their terrible management.

ive personally lost a lot of interest now in the league especially after the lockout.. th quality of the play may be better faster stronger, but practically everything else surrounding the game imo has gotten worse.

#107 Vansicle

Vansicle

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,595 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:16 AM

My question is if Hansens arm out in there makeing contact with Hossa backing up in to it is a suspension, then what is fighting? With this rule every time two players get in to a fight, and land at least one blow to the head, they should at least get one game. Or what about when players were punching the Sedins in the head repeaditly in the playoffs. That was on purpose and direct contact to the head. I mean I dont want to rag on Hossa but if that light amount of contact to the head causes injury then his hockey career is over.

Fighting is not the same. It's two guys who agrees to the terms; two consenting adults.
And an elbow to the head is different, too, than a gloved hand jab. You can cause serious and sometimes life-threatening injuries with an elbow to the head. A gloved pop in the kisser is nothing more than a rough facewash.

I don't want to comment on the bias/conspiracy issue, but I will say that Burrows is the one who brought all of this unwanted attention to this team. He ratted out the ref who had words with him before the game and basically declared war on the zebras.
And to boot, there are a handful of players on this team who are floppers/divers.
None of this should be any surprise at this point. One bad apple has spoiled the whole bunch, girl.

Snake Doctor, on 23 May 2014 - 10:41 AM, said:snapback.png

Miller is not on our list. It's Lack as our #1. There is no reason we would have traded both Schnieder and Luongo if we never intended to give Lack the #1 starting job.  Furthermore, the salary and term Miller is looking for is not in our favor.

#108 Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,107 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:44 AM

And people wonder why the Canucks/Canucks fans are so hated.

Kershaw_zps0cb5a848.jpg

#109 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,789 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:14 PM

Yep, the NHL has set an agenda and they're out to get us :rolleyes:
Every team has had their fair share of bad calls/rulings against them, this isn't a unique phenomena for us.

Also, the 1 game suspension for Hansen was a fitting punishment. It wasn't malicious, but it was reckless.
Posted Image

#110 jovocop55

jovocop55

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,002 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:21 PM

And people wonder why the Canucks/Canucks fans are so hated.

sick of some fans complain everything.. make everyone look bad... yes its bad but it's only 1 game. we can live with it.. especially hate the ones going into other teams forum board and posting stupid things and complain... tha'ts why everyone hates us...

#111 canuckniforlife

canuckniforlife

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:39 PM

HAHA people hate Canucks fans right now wait til the Vancouver Canucks win the Stanley Cup they're going to triple that feeling!!!!! As for the NHL bias who cares it makes it that much more fun to be a Canucks fan.

Anyway, on a positive note Hansen can get a rest and let's focus on a W tonight.

GO CANUCKS GO

#112 La Mauviette75

La Mauviette75

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:54 PM

persecution complex

n

(Psychology) Psychol an acute irrational fear that other people are plotting one's downfall and that they are responsible for one's failures

Posted Image

O Ville Lumière, Sens la chaleur, de notre coeur

#113 rkyway

rkyway

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:26 PM

Re; "a head shot is a head shot." I'm very tired of certain people shutting down threads they don't like. What is the point of what you're doing? This is clearly censorship.
- the suspension to Hansen was very well deserved. The fact other players don't at times get suspended has nothing to do with it. This can't be a perfect process.

#114 Forsy

Forsy

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:29 PM

sick of some fans complain everything.. make everyone look bad... yes its bad but it's only 1 game. we can live with it.. especially hate the ones going into other teams forum board and posting stupid things and complain... tha'ts why everyone hates us...

Y'all have been going on about this it's only one game, it's cost us many times before, including in the SCF. The bias isn't just towards Vancouver, but all Canadian teams - Vancouver is just a generally whiny set of fans, so you'll hear it from us, but Canadian teams are getting screwed whether they whine or not.

Fans whining on other forums - they'll just have to deal with their own stupidity.

Edited by Forsy, 21 February 2013 - 01:33 PM.

#115 CookieCrumbs

CookieCrumbs

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,025 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:33 PM

1 game is completely fine. Any more than that I would be a little aggravated.

You should see what the Hawks fans have been saying over on HF. In their eyes Hansen is a goon that runs around cheap shotting people, and should be banned from the NHL forever. It's hilarious, they're saying "Hansen should be suspended as long as Hossa is out!". The hypocrisy amongst hockey fans completely blows my mind.

Hawks fans are a joke. Much worse than the Bruins fans in my opinion.

#116 Quoted

Quoted

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,268 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:35 PM

1 game is completely fine. Any more than that I would be a little aggravated.

You should see what the Hawks fans have been saying over on HF. In their eyes Hansen is a goon that runs around cheap shotting people, and should be banned from the NHL forever. It's hilarious, they're saying "Hansen should be suspended as long as Hossa is out!". The hypocrisy amongst hockey fans completely blows my mind.

Hawks fans are a joke. Much worse than the Bruins fans in my opinion.

Since it sounds like Hossa won't be out at all, can they take that option??

#117 CookieCrumbs

CookieCrumbs

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,025 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:39 PM

Since it sounds like Hossa won't be out at all, can they take that option??

A dive is a dive is a dive.

FREE RAFFI!

Ps. Yes, I know he's been freed.

#118 SamJamIam

SamJamIam

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,848 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:58 PM

did hansen even make contact with hossa's head? from what i saw it looked like it was just the upper back, and it didn't even look like it was hard. I'm pretty much stayed away from the topic in general though, so a clear screencap of head contact would be appreciated.

It wasn't contact to the head. Most video was choppy but that's what I was seeing as well. Go to the Shanaban video and it's very clear contact wasn't made to the head.

Also: every fanbase thinks the NHL is biased against them, guess what... they aren't.

Well the Bruins won a cup by breaking 2 spines along the way and never took a penalty minute for it. Lucic now has the same suspension history as Hansen.

Meanwhile we cough near a player and get a suspension. There are definitely teams that are on the league's sh!tlist

#119 SamJamIam

SamJamIam

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,848 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:59 PM

Ya, I'm sure Bettman jumped on this incident when it crossed his desk! I am sure he cross checked Shanny in the hallway as he got the media flyer out. Come on people.

On one of the rare occasions I agreed with Kypreos. If Hossa wasn't injured it wasn't a suspension. It becomes immaterial if Hanson had any intent. The NHL is worried about public opinion and the number of head injuries.

Don't get me going on the conspiracy theories. I have harboured fears ever since 2011. Vancouver is one of those rare franchises that is better than healthy. There is very little business reason to have them win a CUP. That said I believe they have enough seniority to be the next Canadian CUP winner. :)

So now that Hossa turns out to be fine and was clearly never injured, you take it all back and agree it's BS?

#120 5minutesinthebox

5minutesinthebox

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,675 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 02:13 PM

For goodness sake. That is all but a myth - for the record, this was the first time any Canuck player got the "Shanaban," and for only one game.

I will agree though, Boyachuk should have gotten a suspension after Raymond's injury.

Still, that one hit didn't cost the game... AV's decision to go with Schneider, instead of Luongo, cost handing the Hawks their first regulation loss of the season.

What crack are you smoking? Luongo would have been lit up by the Hawks in that game. Schneiders performance in that game was not only the reason why we managed to get a point, it was also the best performance by either of them all season.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.