The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

More NHL bias against Canucks

grandmaster

Rome, a valuably needed defenceman since Hamius got injured, was suspended for the rest of the playoffs for a hockey play/hit that was a fraction of a second late.

Boychuk delivers a hit to Raymond that was no where near the play or puck and gets no suspension or even penalty for breaking Raymond's back!

Keith delivers a hit on our best goal scorer in Daniel Sedin that was an obvious intent to injure and gets just 5 games while we lose Daniel for the rest of the season and all but one final game in the playoffs.

And now Hanson, a player who has no history of "dirty" or suspensions gets a game for trying to bat the puck out of the air.

NHL bias against the Canucks keeps on rolling.

Pathetic

This was not suspended - Dubinsky on Scuderi.

It's part superstar bias (Hansen vs. Dubinsky, Hossa vs. Scuderi), part NON-American team bias (ie. players in a Canadian team will get fair treatment, players in an American team will get reduced penalties/fines/suspensions).

What a joke... Whatever, I can deal with it. Let's just hope it doesn't cost us a W tomorrow, the Hawks fans can whine on- I'll just throw the Duncan Keith elbow in their face. That was one of those where they show just how sore of a losers they are, what with Toews crying after every loss to the Canucks and Bolland talking smack on Chicago radios it's almost hilarious how immature and unprofessional they are.

Quit whining guys. Many of you may be too young to remember Dallas vs Buffalo final, if so look up how Sabres lost the Stanley Cup. Canucks are not the only team that has to deal with this kind of stuff. Every team does.

Lately CDC is full of whining and crying after every penalty, missed call, goal, period and game. This is not the image Canucks fans want after the team worked so hard to shed similar image after the 2011 Cup run.

Fact is the game is being called a certain way, refs get their orders from the league and they follow them. Right now the game is headed away from a speed and skill style of post 2005 lockout. Boston and LA won the last 2 Cups because the game is called according to their style of play.

MG and company realize this, look up their draft picks over the past 2 years, more size and grit. Lets wait until the Luongo trade and see what the final roster looks like before the playoffs. I'm sure MG will trade for size.

So many instances. Look what Eager and Buttuglyone used to get away with? And now they're calling swipes at the puck as suspendable offenses? Give me a break and a head shake, NHL. Piss poor. But w/e, we'll survive....we've had to learn to do that.

Just cheapens the whole deal. It's not about good honest sport anymore, it's programmed. It's influenced. It takes the pure joy out of it for me, as it's just one more thing in this world that is corrupt and mismanaged.

Not a biggie...one game. But it's the messages that keep getting sent. Whine on, Hawks....it's working. Unflattering, but it's working.

I keep hoping it sets the bar and that we'll eventually benefit from the stringent rules with our players protected too. Ha. I also hope to win the lottery one day.

I think Hansen is valuable to the team and the Canucks will miss him in Dallas. However, I have no serious problem with the ruling.

It looked unintentional, but I think any player should probably be held accountable for any head-level errant elbows/sticks etc. especially in light of the concussion problem that currently haunts the NHL.

I think Hansen is a gritty, but very classy player. I wouldnt be surprised to learn that he contacted Hossa to apologize.

hansen leads with his forearm into the back / side of a star players head in a totally reckless attempt to reach a puck he's obviously late for

should be suspended, and one game is fair

some of you people are literally insane to think this is part of some league-wide, decade spanning conspiracy against our team

I posted an article to General Discussion last month that went mostly ignored but it was very detailed, inside look at the process Shanahan and his team go through with all of these decisions. One of the most interesting, to me, was that he has a team of 6 or 8 ex-players (I think it varies depending on who's available) that are scattered around North America. Each of them receive videos via email and then reply with their verdict on the play. More importantly, each verdict comes in separately; they're not allowed to use Reply All.

This isn't a conspiracy guys. It's not a boardroom table of people with Bettman at the head of it saying "Here's your decision, go do my bidding!" It's more like an individually sequestered jury.

The ones I do question are the ones that aren't reviewed, Boychuk / Raymond being the prime example. THAT kind of order, especially in a high profile SC final game, is the kind that could be coming from up higher.

Fact is the game is being called a certain way, refs get their orders from the league and they follow them. Right now the game is headed away from a speed and skill style of post 2005 lockout. Boston and LA won the last 2 Cups because the game is called according to their style of play.

I feel hossa embellished the situation, a player coming off a concussion has any simple setbacks the league should "protect him" then and not allow them to play until a certain period symptom free ex 1 week, Hansen hit to the head was not even close to as bad as what kesler had against St. Louis. League is so inconsistent with there suspensions

Rome, a valuably needed defenceman since Hamius got injured, was suspended for the rest of the playoffs for a hockey play/hit that was a fraction of a second late.

Boychuk delivers a hit to Raymond that was no where near the play or puck and gets no suspension or even penalty for breaking Raymond's back!

Keith delivers a hit on our best goal scorer in Daniel Sedin that was an obvious intent to injure and gets just 5 games while we lose Daniel for the rest of the season and all but one final game in the playoffs.

And now Hanson, a player who has no history of "dirty" or suspensions gets a game for trying to bat the puck out of the air.

NHL bias against the Canucks keeps on rolling.

Pathetic

The rules are not stringent, they are haphazzardly applied to cover the NHL's agenda, which is to favor teams with political power within the league. Does Chara get suspended for trying to remove Paccioreti's head? Nope. Does Lucic get suspended for running Miller in the open ice with no-one else around? Nope. Boychuk get suspended for breaking Raymond's back? Does the Boston player that broke Edler's fingers with a slash even get a penalty? Nope. Does Marchand speed-bagging Sedin get a penalty? Nope. Does Chara get a penalty for repeated cross-checks of Sedin, until Sedin is finally driven to the ice get a penalty? Nope. Sedin gets one for diving. The only pleasure I get from hockey anymore is when players play so well against the NHL's machinations and attempts to fix games that they defeat the league and its minions in stripes and the BS video reviewers in Toronto - then there is real joy in Mudville.

For goodness sake. That is all but a myth - for the record, this was the first time any Canuck player got the "Shanaban," and for only one game.

I will agree though, Boyachuk should have gotten a suspension after Raymond's injury.

Still, that one hit didn't cost the game... AV's decision to go with Schneider, instead of Luongo, cost handing the Hawks their first regulation loss of the season.

Archived