The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

More NHL bias against Canucks

grandmaster

Fact is the game isn't being called a certain way. It's being called however the fcuk the NHL sees fit on a game-by-game basis. Some fans may be complaining specifically about Vancouver's treatment but most are complaining about their favourite game being reduced to a crap product for a market that doesn't care. Let's not forget that Boston won the cup while breaking two spines along the way. No suspensions, not even a penalty minute. This game is simply corrupt, and it's not just a problem for the Canucks.

Refs calling every game totally different means players can't play close to the edge so they care less and play worse. If you have no idea what the rules are every time you step on the ice, you have to be an absolute moron to give your all. It could earn you a suspension or cost you the game which simply isn't worth the risk. I see the bad calls rack up and I feel the wheels in Canucks' heads start turning. "Should we just let them win? It seems like the refs are sending a clear message with these calls. Maybe we'll not get such biased calls next game, in which case, we shouldn't waste our energy tonight." Bad reffing means bad hockey, and no team in this league is playing on the edge or with any confidence except for one. It's nice to have calls go their way, but most important to the Hawks performance is that they're the only team not afraid of the refs' inconsistencies.

If every team could play their game without constantly being jerked around by refs, even the odd missed call would be no big deal and they'd play with a hell of a lot more heart on a night-to-night basis. Bettman's lackeys simply aren't interested though. They think that the answer to growing the game is hyper-strict control of all aspects of the game. Refs and Shanabans make the game absolute garbage despite a wealth of talent. That's something worth bitching about, long after Hansen's time is served.

Rome, a valuably needed defenceman since Hamius got injured, was suspended for the rest of the playoffs for a hockey play/hit that was a fraction of a second late.

Boychuk delivers a hit to Raymond that was no where near the play or puck and gets no suspension or even penalty for breaking Raymond's back!

It is only one game. Hansen is not a repeat offender, when is the last time we see him doing something like this. He is a huge part of this team, players like him are what we need to win the cup.

I agree more with Kerry Fraser's take on this matter. I have to go back and watch but the refs didn't make the call until Toews went over and complained about it. If Hossa is back in a couple of games or even the next one then I'd be frustrated but as it is, it is only one game.

Rome, a valuably needed defenceman since Hamius got injured, was suspended for the rest of the playoffs for a hockey play/hit that was a fraction of a second late.

Boychuk delivers a hit to Raymond that was no where near the play or puck and gets no suspension or even penalty for breaking Raymond's back!

Keith delivers a hit on our best goal scorer in Daniel Sedin that was an obvious intent to injure and gets just 5 games while we lose Daniel for the rest of the season and all but one final game in the playoffs.

And now Hanson, a player who has no history of "dirty" or suspensions gets a game for trying to bat the puck out of the air.

NHL bias against the Canucks keeps on rolling.

Pathetic

I completely disagree. Inconsistent calls means players will press the rules believing there's a good chance to get away with it. Then of course you get the , "why did you call this one when you let the other one go?". There were a lot of penalties let go both ways in that Chicago game. You want good hockey call the rules to the letter from the first minute to the last minute, and from the first game of the season until the cup is handed out. Then the players will know what to expect and you'll see good hockey.

The rules are not stringent, they are haphazzardly applied to cover the NHL's agenda, which is to favor teams with political power within the league. Does Chara get suspended for trying to remove Paccioreti's head? Nope. Does Lucic get suspended for running Miller in the open ice with no-one else around? Nope. Boychuk get suspended for breaking Raymond's back? Does the Boston player that broke Edler's fingers with a slash even get a penalty? Nope. Does Marchand speed-bagging Sedin get a penalty? Nope. Does Chara get a penalty for repeated cross-checks of Sedin, until Sedin is finally driven to the ice get a penalty? Nope. Sedin gets one for diving. The only pleasure I get from hockey anymore is when players play so well against the NHL's machinations and attempts to fix games that they defeat the league and its minions in stripes and the BS video reviewers in Toronto - then there is real joy in Mudville.

My question is if Hansens arm out in there makeing contact with Hossa backing up in to it is a suspension, then what is fighting? With this rule every time two players get in to a fight, and land at least one blow to the head, they should at least get one game. Or what about when players were punching the Sedins in the head repeaditly in the playoffs. That was on purpose and direct contact to the head. I mean I dont want to rag on Hossa but if that light amount of contact to the head causes injury then his hockey career is over.

That's a beauty. Because you are a hockey fan you DESERVE a league without Bettman! I won't even get into a comparison with the MLB's Bud Selig or NFL's Goodell (nice job with the New Orleans fiasco) or Stern, all of whom make Bettman look like a genius. But where is this DESERVE from, is this a legal right?? Did past hockey fans get what they deserved with Clarence Campbell? Nobody is forcing anyone to watch the NHL.The fact is there are more NHL fans now than ever. I know, I know, Bettman and his 3 lockouts has killed the game, and so many fans in Vancouver are not watching anymore,but funny thing is, attendance and TV ratings are up! My point remains, if this is such a bush league, why does it keep getting more popular?? Maybe because more and more people think it's a great league?

Ya, I'm sure Bettman jumped on this incident when it crossed his desk! I am sure he cross checked Shanny in the hallway as he got the media flyer out. Come on people.

On one of the rare occasions I agreed with Kypreos. If Hossa wasn't injured it wasn't a suspension. It becomes immaterial if Hanson had any intent. The NHL is worried about public opinion and the number of head injuries.

Don't get me going on the conspiracy theories. I have harboured fears ever since 2011. Vancouver is one of those rare franchises that is better than healthy. There is very little business reason to have them win a CUP. That said I believe they have enough seniority to be the next Canadian CUP winner. :)

If you ever wonder about the consistency of calls...

Just look at this thread.

Imagine all of us were on a board, making decisions, about who to suspend/fine.

We all root for the same team and still wouldn't be able to make a decision one way or the other on ANY of the provided footage.

I do agree that there is bias in regard to superstars... but, from a business standpoint, they are worth way more!

They get paid more; they bring in more money and everyone has their eyes on them.

Does that make it right? I Personally dont think so...

But life isnt fair.

If any poor guy puts his hands on a rich man, hes gonna get the book thrown at him. Its a sad fact of life.

did hansen even make contact with hossa's head? from what i saw it looked like it was just the upper back, and it didn't even look like it was hard. I'm pretty much stayed away from the topic in general though, so a clear screencap of head contact would be appreciated.

Also: every fanbase thinks the NHL is biased against them, guess what... they aren't.

Archived