Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Would you like to see an automatic head-shot penalty in the NHL?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 BurnabyJoe

BurnabyJoe

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,361 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:58 PM

Today on AM 1040 they we're discussing an outright ban any contact to the head like they have in Europe.

I wan't hits to the head out of the game, but I'm sorry when did it become okay to keep your head down?

In this example, please explain to me what Drew Doughty is supposed to do here. Taylor Hall is flying in over the blue line with his head down, his head is waist level at the top of the boards.

Drew Doughty simply has to make that play. It would be impossible to make contact without hitting his head.

This is why an automatic penalty for any head contact is just an over-simplified "solution".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Q87_VKEWwE

http://i8.photobucke...e/canucks40.jpg <- Jim Robson's 40th Anniversary Team.

#2 мцт вяздк чф

мцт вяздк чф

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,464 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:21 PM

every situation is different but a serious headshot should equal 5 min major, that should lower concussion problems real quick.

KIM JONG UN'S FAVORITE HOCKEY TEAM ARE THE KELOWNA ROCKETS.

JOHN SHORTHOUSE'S VOICE REMINDS ME OF KERMIT THE FROG.

#3 NightHawkSniper

NightHawkSniper

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,675 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:25 PM

I think captains shouldn't be allowed to talk to the refs when they are making their decisions.

5577747361_37d631069c_m.jpg

#4 etsen3

etsen3

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,290 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:39 PM

No, it's fine the way it is. Some incidental head contact is unavoidable, but keep the clear headshots out of the game. Don't want the players to be scared to hit each other.

#5 Duodenum

Duodenum

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,785 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:51 PM

The refs have a hard enough time with the current rules, I wouldn't add another.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#6 Salmonberries

Salmonberries

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,094 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:35 AM

Yes. The game would be better off without head shots. And so would the players be. Hated to see young Tarasenko get kayoed tonight. That was ugly. And unnecessary. With what we are learning about the long term affects that concussions have on the brain, and the law suits from ex players that will be sure to come, it's no longer a matter of if head shots will removed from hockey, it's more a matter of when they will be banned.

#7 Lychees

Lychees

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,197 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:39 AM

I don't for-see it happening, and I'm not for it.

Honestly if you watch guys like Eberle/Hall (just pickin on those 2 cause I've noticed it the most), they put themselves in vulnerable situations which it's literally impossible to play the body on them without making some contact with the head. Also where do draw the line, blindside hit and the head whiplashes?

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.