Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

Wind or Mobilicity in Vancouver

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

Poll: Wind or Mobilicity in Vancouver (7 member(s) have cast votes)

Wind or Mobilicity

1. Wind (4 votes [57.14%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 57.14%

2. Mobilicity (3 votes [42.86%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 42.86%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Where's Wellwood

Where's Wellwood

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,095 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 02:32 AM

I'm currently on rogers on a pay as you go. I just got my first Smartphone and I am not paying min $55 at rogers to get almost nothing on a talk/text/data plan.

Wind and Mobilicity have the cheapest smartphone plans out there. And yes I know that you get what you pay for and that the coverage is hit and miss but I don't care. I'm going for one of these two because I like quantity over quality.

So between Wind and Mobilicity, which has the better:

reception
amount of coverage
data speeds
call quality
customer service
etc.

Don't bother comparing cost because depending on which of the two is better, I'll wait for that one to get a special.

Basically anything you know, share it. Preferably more recent experiences because there's alot of comparisons online but they're at least a year old, and since these two companies are growing, a lot could have changed in a year or more.

Thanks for the input.

Edited by Where's Wellwood, 21 February 2013 - 11:41 AM.

Posted Image
Credit to khalifawiz501 for the sig.
My old sig: http://tinypic.com/v...=5#.UlSrrlAWJ7U

#2 Salmonberries

Salmonberries

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,558 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 02:47 AM

First of all, make sure you live in their service area. I live in Horseshoe Bay and was told that I lie outside the service areas of both Mobilicity and Wind. And that goes for a pretty bid chunk of West Van. I imagine there are other issues with those companies as well, but I didn't explore any deeper.Can't tell you much else beyond that though.

th_1435408476_c985b0ec75_zps489544ad.jpg

#3 The Bookie

The Bookie

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,746 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 02:51 AM

You do realize that coverage will be the biggest factor on both your quantity AND quality, right? Coverage is basically everything with a cell.

I hear constant horror stories from one of my best friends who's on Mobilicity. Reports have been so-so for Wind. I'd vote neither and go with Virgin if you wanna stick pay-as-you-go, I used them for a few years and their coverage was great, just be prepared for bottom of the barrel customer service.

#4 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,817 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 03:05 AM

Stay the eff away from Mobilicity. I can barely get any reception from them, I have had numberous call drops, and on top of that I receive Voicemails hours after they happen. Cracked my BB screen slamming it against a wall due to shotty coverage. Going back to Rogers next week.

2d7ye0p.jpg

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#5 Lancaster

Lancaster

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 03:13 AM

I've been with Mobilicity for about 2 years now. Initially it was very bad, I would lose reception when I'm driving along SW Marine Dr., but now it's much better as they've built more towers.
If you ever travel to other metro areas in Canada, their reception still works. I remember using talk/data in Calgary and it's still considered as "local". Plus their data speed isn't too shabby, I'm still able to play SC2 with it with only minimal lag (hotspot tethering).

I remember when Fido used to be crap, but now they're decent (albeit bought out by Rogers). In a couple of years, Wind and Mobilicity will be fine, thus it's ideal to have a good deal with them now.

#6 Primus099

Primus099

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 03:48 AM

Wind doesn't have that great coverage but I think they're expanding so maybe go for them, can't really beat unlimited EVERYTHING for $40 a month

#7 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,469 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:09 AM

As others have mentioned, coverage isn't the same for a newer company as it is for the established ones. If they had the same service as the big 3, then they'd be able to charge more, and it's not just because their non-roaming areas are limited to certain areas.

Edited by elvis15, 21 February 2013 - 09:41 AM.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#8 Aleksandr Pistoletov

Aleksandr Pistoletov

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,099 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:27 AM

You can get good services out of the Big 3 if you are good at persuading people or being patient to find good deals. I had Wind for a few months, even in Toronto it sucks.

"When Jonah's agent called him and said Quentin Tarantino wanted to put him in a spaghetti western [Django Unchained], Jonah was like, 'You had me at spaghetti.'"

"Aziz has been charming audiences and snakes for years. And I guess you’re here tonight because now that Kanye had a real baby he doesn’t need you anymore."

-- Jeff Ross

#9 Where's Wellwood

Where's Wellwood

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,095 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:38 AM

First of all, make sure you live in their service area. I live in Horseshoe Bay and was told that I lie outside the service areas of both Mobilicity and Wind. And that goes for a pretty bid chunk of West Van. I imagine there are other issues with those companies as well, but I didn't explore any deeper.Can't tell you much else beyond that though.

You do realize that coverage will be the biggest factor on both your quantity AND quality, right? Coverage is basically everything with a cell.

I hear constant horror stories from one of my best friends who's on Mobilicity. Reports have been so-so for Wind. I'd vote neither and go with Virgin if you wanna stick pay-as-you-go, I used them for a few years and their coverage was great, just be prepared for bottom of the barrel customer service.

Stay the eff away from Mobilicity. I can barely get any reception from them, I have had numberous call drops, and on top of that I receive Voicemails hours after they happen. Cracked my BB screen slamming it against a wall due to shotty coverage. Going back to Rogers next week.

I've been with Mobilicity for about 2 years now. Initially it was very bad, I would lose reception when I'm driving along SW Marine Dr., but now it's much better as they've built more towers.
If you ever travel to other metro areas in Canada, their reception still works. I remember using talk/data in Calgary and it's still considered as "local". Plus their data speed isn't too shabby, I'm still able to play SC2 with it with only minimal lag (hotspot tethering).

I remember when Fido used to be crap, but now they're decent (albeit bought out by Rogers). In a couple of years, Wind and Mobilicity will be fine, thus it's ideal to have a good deal with them now.

Wind doesn't have that great coverage but I think they're expanding so maybe go for them, can't really beat unlimited EVERYTHING for $40 a month

As others have mentioned, coverage isn't the same for a newer company as it is for the established ones. If they had the same service as the big 3, then they'd be able to charge more, and it's not just because their non-roaming areas are limited to certain areas.

You can get good services out of the Big 3 if you are good at persuading people or being patient to find good deals. I had Wind for a few months, even in Toronto it sucks.

I added a poll. Could you please vote? Thanks.
Posted Image
Credit to khalifawiz501 for the sig.
My old sig: http://tinypic.com/v...=5#.UlSrrlAWJ7U

#10 -Goose-

-Goose-

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,586 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:36 AM

Wind has been great for me. 0 disconnections from the network except when crossing the Alex Fraser.

Posted Image

#11 almo89

almo89

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,281 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 07:12 PM

I joined Mobilicity in November 2011 and jumped on their 25 bucks unlimited everything guaranteed for life plan. Their coverage and service has been gradually getting better. For what I'm paying, I'm not complaining

#12 GoaltenderInterference

GoaltenderInterference

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,788 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 07:56 PM

I don't have any personal experience with either one, but my friend on Wind can't get reception on Broadway...

Press the Panic Button! Posted Image

Posted Image
Derek Boogaard, Rick Rypien, Wade Belak, Lokomotiv Jaroslavl
Sig by .CM.

#13 That's What She Said

That's What She Said

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,514 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:31 PM

I was with Mobilicity for a while but I finally got tired of my battery draining because my phone was constantly searching for a signal. Switched to Wind, the reception is spotty in some areas but is still way better than Mobilicity.
Why not Zoidberg? (\/)(°,,,°)(\/)

#14 Tanikins

Tanikins

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,286 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:20 PM

I am on Wind the service isn't the best, I do have some dropped calls and sometimes the line is 'static' but I have found that it kind of depends on the phone you have. I was using a crappy Android phone and just switched to an older blackberry. I have service now in places I never have had before. so that's kind of neat, but if you don't want to or unable to go on windtap be prepared to pay BIG BUCKS for a decent phone with wind.

I have never used Mobile city so I can't really tell you about their service but before I switched from Rogers pay as you go to Wind I did some research on both companys and discovered that Wind had a better track record. This was from word off mouth so I am not sure if that helps or not. If I could afford to be with Rogers or Bell or something I would switch just to get better service but I can't afford it and so I stuck with what I have.

There are some places my cell won't work, North Vancouver is one of them and forget the island but sometimes I am able to text and it let me call once while I was in Campbell River so that is good I suppose. Like others have said you get what you pay for but if you are like me and poor and are unable to afford $80-$100 dollars a month for a cell phone and want to have both texting and data then I think its worth it.

29mln9e.jpg
Do Not Trade Tanevbjhfh0.jpg

Thanks TS <3

formely known as Gillyfluffball

#15 Aleksandr Pistoletov

Aleksandr Pistoletov

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,099 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 04:18 PM

I am on Wind the service isn't the best, I do have some dropped calls and sometimes the line is 'static' but I have found that it kind of depends on the phone you have. I was using a crappy Android phone and just switched to an older blackberry. I have service now in places I never have had before. so that's kind of neat, but if you don't want to or unable to go on windtap be prepared to pay BIG BUCKS for a decent phone with wind.

I have never used Mobile city so I can't really tell you about their service but before I switched from Rogers pay as you go to Wind I did some research on both companys and discovered that Wind had a better track record. This was from word off mouth so I am not sure if that helps or not. If I could afford to be with Rogers or Bell or something I would switch just to get better service but I can't afford it and so I stuck with what I have.

There are some places my cell won't work, North Vancouver is one of them and forget the island but sometimes I am able to text and it let me call once while I was in Campbell River so that is good I suppose. Like others have said you get what you pay for but if you are like me and poor and are unable to afford $80-$100 dollars a month for a cell phone and want to have both texting and data then I think its worth it.

If you could afford to be with Wind or Mobilicity chances are you can afford to be with Rogers or Bell. It all depends on your own ability to do research and get your preferred service across to the reps.

"When Jonah's agent called him and said Quentin Tarantino wanted to put him in a spaghetti western [Django Unchained], Jonah was like, 'You had me at spaghetti.'"

"Aziz has been charming audiences and snakes for years. And I guess you’re here tonight because now that Kanye had a real baby he doesn’t need you anymore."

-- Jeff Ross

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.