Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Where's Wellwood

Wind or Mobilicity in Vancouver

Wind or Mobilicity in Vancouver  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Wind or Mobilicity

I'm currently on rogers on a pay as you go. I just got my first Smartphone and I am not paying min $55 at rogers to get almost nothing on a talk/text/data plan.

Wind and Mobilicity have the cheapest smartphone plans out there. And yes I know that you get what you pay for and that the coverage is hit and miss but I don't care. I'm going for one of these two because I like quantity over quality.

So between Wind and Mobilicity, which has the better:

reception

amount of coverage

data speeds

call quality

customer service

etc.

Don't bother comparing cost because depending on which of the two is better, I'll wait for that one to get a special.

Basically anything you know, share it. Preferably more recent experiences because there's alot of comparisons online but they're at least a year old, and since these two companies are growing, a lot could have changed in a year or more.

Thanks for the input.

First of all, make sure you live in their service area. I live in Horseshoe Bay and was told that I lie outside the service areas of both Mobilicity and Wind. And that goes for a pretty bid chunk of West Van. I imagine there are other issues with those companies as well, but I didn't explore any deeper.Can't tell you much else beyond that though.

You do realize that coverage will be the biggest factor on both your quantity AND quality, right? Coverage is basically everything with a cell.

I hear constant horror stories from one of my best friends who's on Mobilicity. Reports have been so-so for Wind. I'd vote neither and go with Virgin if you wanna stick pay-as-you-go, I used them for a few years and their coverage was great, just be prepared for bottom of the barrel customer service.

Stay the eff away from Mobilicity. I can barely get any reception from them, I have had numberous call drops, and on top of that I receive Voicemails hours after they happen. Cracked my BB screen slamming it against a wall due to shotty coverage. Going back to Rogers next week.

I've been with Mobilicity for about 2 years now. Initially it was very bad, I would lose reception when I'm driving along SW Marine Dr., but now it's much better as they've built more towers.

If you ever travel to other metro areas in Canada, their reception still works. I remember using talk/data in Calgary and it's still considered as "local". Plus their data speed isn't too shabby, I'm still able to play SC2 with it with only minimal lag (hotspot tethering).

I remember when Fido used to be crap, but now they're decent (albeit bought out by Rogers). In a couple of years, Wind and Mobilicity will be fine, thus it's ideal to have a good deal with them now.

Wind doesn't have that great coverage but I think they're expanding so maybe go for them, can't really beat unlimited EVERYTHING for $40 a month

As others have mentioned, coverage isn't the same for a newer company as it is for the established ones. If they had the same service as the big 3, then they'd be able to charge more, and it's not just because their non-roaming areas are limited to certain areas.

You can get good services out of the Big 3 if you are good at persuading people or being patient to find good deals. I had Wind for a few months, even in Toronto it sucks.

First of all, make sure you live in their service area. I live in Horseshoe Bay and was told that I lie outside the service areas of both Mobilicity and Wind. And that goes for a pretty bid chunk of West Van. I imagine there are other issues with those companies as well, but I didn't explore any deeper.Can't tell you much else beyond that though.

Wind has been great for me. 0 disconnections from the network except when crossing the Alex Fraser.

I joined Mobilicity in November 2011 and jumped on their 25 bucks unlimited everything guaranteed for life plan. Their coverage and service has been gradually getting better. For what I'm paying, I'm not complaining

I was with Mobilicity for a while but I finally got tired of my battery draining because my phone was constantly searching for a signal. Switched to Wind, the reception is spotty in some areas but is still way better than Mobilicity.

I am on Wind the service isn't the best, I do have some dropped calls and sometimes the line is 'static' but I have found that it kind of depends on the phone you have. I was using a crappy Android phone and just switched to an older blackberry. I have service now in places I never have had before. so that's kind of neat, but if you don't want to or unable to go on windtap be prepared to pay BIG BUCKS for a decent phone with wind.

I have never used Mobile city so I can't really tell you about their service but before I switched from Rogers pay as you go to Wind I did some research on both companys and discovered that Wind had a better track record. This was from word off mouth so I am not sure if that helps or not. If I could afford to be with Rogers or Bell or something I would switch just to get better service but I can't afford it and so I stuck with what I have.

There are some places my cell won't work, North Vancouver is one of them and forget the island but sometimes I am able to text and it let me call once while I was in Campbell River so that is good I suppose. Like others have said you get what you pay for but if you are like me and poor and are unable to afford $80-$100 dollars a month for a cell phone and want to have both texting and data then I think its worth it.

I am on Wind the service isn't the best, I do have some dropped calls and sometimes the line is 'static' but I have found that it kind of depends on the phone you have. I was using a crappy Android phone and just switched to an older blackberry. I have service now in places I never have had before. so that's kind of neat, but if you don't want to or unable to go on windtap be prepared to pay BIG BUCKS for a decent phone with wind.

I have never used Mobile city so I can't really tell you about their service but before I switched from Rogers pay as you go to Wind I did some research on both companys and discovered that Wind had a better track record. This was from word off mouth so I am not sure if that helps or not. If I could afford to be with Rogers or Bell or something I would switch just to get better service but I can't afford it and so I stuck with what I have.

There are some places my cell won't work, North Vancouver is one of them and forget the island but sometimes I am able to text and it let me call once while I was in Campbell River so that is good I suppose. Like others have said you get what you pay for but if you are like me and poor and are unable to afford $80-$100 dollars a month for a cell phone and want to have both texting and data then I think its worth it.