The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Marian Hossa makes miracle recovery, practicing with Blackhawks.

As per Darren Dreger and numerous others on Twitter. On mobile so I can't post the tweet.

After a vicious headhunter like Jannik "the Deadly Dane" Hansen targeted him, it's so nice to see that Hossa's flopping on the ice and leaving lead to a twenty minute concussion. My favourite part is how they refused to comment on his status before the verdict was given out. What an honorable, trustworthy team the Blackhawks are!

If that contact can make Hossa shaky he may wish to seriously retire.

I've had a few concussions and if I ever get to the point of a little bump flattening me, I'd be in a desk job for the remainder of my working career. Quit while he still knows his name.

exactly. the hawks were up by 2 at the time, so he sold a call, got up once there was a penalty called, and went back the the dressing room to make sure he doesn't REALLY get injured in a "blow out" and to help sell any further dicipline. he didn't come back after the nucks tied it/in OT because he was already too deep into the lie at the time. then he's suddenly all ok after the dicipline is handed out.

when did they EVER say Hossa had a concussion. the hit could have just dazed him and was pulled from the game for precautionary reasons since the hawks were already up 3-1 at that point...

the hawks never commented about it....

come on guys...give your head a shake.

hansen got 1 game for a reckless play...get over it and move on.

Whether it was done deliberately, or simply allowed to go uncorrected by the team, it absolutely seems that Hossa's "injury" was widely misrepresented. Hossa himself admits he was never actually unconscious despite what was reported and what appeared to be the case to many people.

(Note: Emphasis is mine.)

Source: http://www.nhl.com/i...id=nhl:topheads

So, to recap, he only ever felt "shaky" and never lost consciousness despite what it was made to look like on the ice. And now he's back to practicing and said if he has a good night's sleep he plans to play on Friday. So, unless the NHL has a new definition of injury that includes "shaky" I think we can now say that Hossa was not injured. Too bad there isn't an embellishment rule regarding suspensions....

And for those saying whether or not there was an injury did not matter in the suspension, actual screenshot from Shanahan's video explaining why Hansen got a suspension proves that it was one of the 3 "key points":

[image removed]

Fair enough on his comments, but if anyone with recent concussion history, at least serious concussion history as Hossa's was, went down like that after contact to the head I'd put him through the full recovery steps before clearing him to play. If they actually feel he wasn't injured to the point that he'd require the full concussion recovery steps, then I'd feel safe to say they felt he wasn't injured period.

It's a grey area for what is injured and what isn't, but the Hawks can't play it both ways. The NHL on the other hand can use the phrasing "the player appeared to be injured on the play" and call that a consideration in handing down a suspension without any long term injury affects, but it loses it's value somewhat when a team essentially says he wasn't injured

Wow... all of a sudden Canucks fans are mimicking Dr. Recchi.

If you think that Chicago left their best player off the ice in a close game when he was chasing a hat trick.... JUST to possibly get one of our 3rd liners a 1 game suspension, you are pathetic and deserving of scorn.

Hossa has a serious history of concussion... he got clipped pretty good in the head, the trainers did exactly what they are mandated to BY THE LEAGUE in putting him in the quiet room for the rest of the game.

They kept an eye on him for a day or two to see if any symptoms flared up during exertion in practice... he seems fine to play. I am quite sure that Shanahan knows a lot more about Hossa's medical condition than you do.

Complain about the lack of consistency in discipline in the league, but don't make up dumb conspiracy theories that don't even make any logical sense.

imagine if it was one of Lappy, Burrows, or Kesler laying on the Ice how may people would believe they had any sort of injury on that play... even how they ended up on the ice face down in the first place....and if a suspension resulted and they were practicing the next day Imagine the uproar the league and world over. we would never get a call to go our way ever again.

People are forgetting that the league already let Hansen off the hook at the beginning of the season, when he clearly pushed a ref out of his way. Intent or not, if the league was "out to get the Canucks", they could have easily given him a suspension for that.

I'm pretty sure if that event didn't happen, this meeting would have been just a warning, or a fine. Regardless of it not being malicious or causing injury, this was Hansen's second reckless play in a month against the "untouchables" (officials and superstars). Of course the league is going to address it.

when did they EVER say Hossa had a concussion. the hit could have just dazed him and was pulled from the game for precautionary reasons since the hawks were already up 3-1 at that point...

the hawks never commented about it....

come on guys...give your head a shake.

hansen got 1 game for a reckless play...get over it and move on.

Wow... all of a sudden Canucks fans are mimicking Dr. Recchi.

If you think that Chicago left their best player off the ice in a close game when he was chasing a hat trick.... JUST to possibly get one of our 3rd liners a 1 game suspension, you are pathetic and deserving of scorn.

Hossa has a serious history of concussion... he got clipped pretty good in the head, the trainers did exactly what they are mandated to BY THE LEAGUE in putting him in the quiet room for the rest of the game.

They kept an eye on him for a day or two to see if any symptoms flared up during exertion in practice... he seems fine to play. I am quite sure that Shanahan knows a lot more about Hossa's medical condition than you do.

Complain about the lack of consistency in discipline in the league, but don't make up dumb conspiracy theories that don't even make any logical sense.

Archived