The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Marian Hossa makes miracle recovery, practicing with Blackhawks.

Lol. And we Canuck fans wonder why the league hates us so much. Hansen got ONE GAME. Yet most of you were b1tching and whining. Honestly, it seems like it's always that we are complaining about everything. For once can we just take the high road and say "Hey, that's great news, Hossa is a great player."

Lol. And we Canuck fans wonder why the league hates us so much. Hansen got ONE GAME. Yet most of you were b1tching and whining. Honestly, it seems like it's always that we are complaining about everything. For once can we just take the high road and say "Hey, that's great news, Hossa is a great player."

Provost: Hossa's own words: "Like I said, I was a little shaky right after the hit".

A little shakey does NOT = injury.

And yes, he was evaluated and it was determined there was no injury...if there had been, he likely would not have been skating and working out a day or so later. Agree?

Don't sum up my thoughts for me - only I can do that. And, as to yours:

The most reasonable explanation, and the one that fits the facts is that:

- Hossa was hurt by being hit in the head

- He was removed from the game and evaluated

- He was not found to have any post concussive symptoms, or at least anything significant

- He was kept out of the remainder of the game to continue evaluating for symptoms which can appear up to a day after a hit

- Over the next two days he was further evaluated and found not to have any symptoms with greater amounts of exertion

- He was cleared to play

So if he didn't have any symptoms what, exactly, prompted him to stay down? Because ANY symptoms at all would likely have him evaluated off the ice for a longer period before he skated, but that was not the case.

This is NOT a once only incident of diving/embellishing by Hossa (Google it for yourself). And I didn't buy it then and still don't, no matter how you spin it.

You don't have a guy who's just returned not long ago from a serious head injury sustain another blow that results in any sort of "injury/symptoms" and then have him right back out there on the ice. So there were none. Unless you are completely negligent and putting the team's needs before the individuals' (which wouldn't surprise me with the Hawks). That's how I see it and you won't convince me of anything different. But I appreciate that our opinions do differ and will leave it at that for now.

RKL17 - what does being a great player have to do with antics beyond that? I've never really given a hoot what others think of me because I answer to the person in the mirror. If I don't believe what's coming out of my mouth then I also don't say it just to please others. Because I care what I think of me, first and foremost.

You know first off, the league has concussion protocols to be followed, so Hossa missing the rest of the game when he was chasing a potential hat trick should prove that he was at least "shaken up" on the play and needed to be evaluated before being cleared to play again. With just coming off the concussion by the Torres hit, it was right for that team to be cautious with his health. I am sure you would expect no less from any Canuck player that has a concussion history.

Also, if you watched Coach Q's post game comments, he clearly said that he saw Hossa after the game and he "seemed ok". That hardly sounds like what many of you are saying here, that he was "out cold" or whatever. That never was the case, and I was at the game and saw it firsthand.

Also, many of you should watch the video from the link listed below. It very clearly says that a player's history or the injury to another player is NOT taken into consideration until the actual decision is made for supplemental discipline for the offending player. There is no conspiracy against the Canucks by the league. Many may not want to believe it, but the league has a very strict protocol for determining supplemental discipline for EVERY call. just because many Vancouver fans don't like the outcome doesn't mean that the league is out to get them.

I like the Canucks, but sometimes, this fan base just amazes me with their homerism. It seems that anything that goes against the team is a BS call as far as the fan base is concerned. I was glad to see some in this thread that were objective about the hit on Hossa and the discipline that resulted. 1 game was minimal and fair if you ask me, heck the game that Hansen missed was won by the Nucks anyway, so why are you guys complaining?

I get it, Vancouver fans hate the Hawks. But that doesn't mean that every play that goes against the Nucks when the play the Hawks is wrong.

Try having some hockey perspective, please.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=656884&navid=nhl:topheads

For me it comes down to this: If Hossa was "injured," meaning he had any kind of physical reason to be physically "shaken" that should be taken seriously as a possible indication of another head injury and he should be going through the elective protocol most teams have adopted with head injuries, i.e. progressing through each of these stages as symptoms do not reoccur: workouts alone, no contact team practice, contact team practice, game play. Simply answering a few questions should not be taken as sufficient indication that he was not more seriously injured and the team should have continued to err on the side of caution in regard to ensuring his health. Failing to do so is dangerous and unprofessional.

If Hossa was "shaken" only because he had the crap scared out of him at the thought of getting another head trauma he deserves our sympathy, but Hansen did not deserve a suspension when one of the reasons for it given was "injury." To the best of my knowledge, the NHL has never used psychological state as a definable "injury." So, either Hossa got a physical injury, in which case even without symptoms should not be back playing so quickly, or there was no physical reason for him to be "shaken" and that should not have been used as evidence of an "injury."

I understand some people's point of view that it was a head hit and that alone warrants suspension. Fair enough. But, answer me this: Would this hit have been called a penalty, much less given (or having been seen as deserving) a suspension had the guy who was hit not even flinched, much less dropped to the ice motionless for several minutes before being helped off the ice? Again, I'm not saying Hossa faked it. I think he was scared and I feel bad for the guy. But, if it had not been Hossa, and people weren't remembering (and constantly referencing) another, completely unrelated hit Hossa received in the same area of the ice would this hit have been seen as deserving a suspension?

And since people on both sides question others using their personal experience or common sense as the basis of their medical assumptions, here are some direct quotes from HealthLink BC, people with actual medical knowledge.

It is not always easy to know if someone has a concussion. You don't have to pass out (lose consciousness) to have a concussion.

Symptoms of a concussion range from mild to severe and can last for hours, days, weeks, or even months.

Some of you need to grow up. The guy just had a serious concussion last season, takes a knock to the head.... he likely needed to spend the mandatory 15? minutes in the quiet room. If he was only "faking" to gain a penalty he would of been back in the game...especially considering he was on fire that night and it went to OT. Why would the blackhawks give 2 craps if Janick Hansen gets suspended or not.... The coaches obviously kept him out as a precaution and hell if this was Daniel taking that hit and going down i sure as hell hope AV would do the same and keep him out for the exact same reasons.

I get that the Hawks are a hated rival but a little common sense please.

Archived