Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Marian Hossa makes miracle recovery, practicing with Blackhawks.

• Please log in to reply
245 replies to this topic

#31 Apples

Apples

Rarity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,569 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:30 PM

I didn't know dr recchi was on the blackhawks

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#32 canucks.bradley

canucks.bradley

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,470 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:08 PM

POPULAR

when did they EVER say Hossa had a concussion. the hit could have just dazed him and was pulled from the game for precautionary reasons since the hawks were already up 3-1 at that point...

the hawks never commented about it....

come on guys...give your head a shake.

hansen got 1 game for a reckless play...get over it and move on.

Edited by canucks.bradley, 21 February 2013 - 01:09 PM.

Posted Image
3000th post - September, 2010

K guys I nd hlp fast. Im @ a girls I rly like & txtng from my iphone. I did a #2 in the bathroom and it plugged, water is almost overflowing toilet. Srsly I dunno wut 2 do somebody help!

Watch Bowness somehow mess up Tampa Bay's already amazing 2 powerplay units...he'll probably tell Stamkos to do drop passes from centre ice, take him out from the faceoff dot, and place him infront of the goalie :lol:

#33 SamJamIam

SamJamIam

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,188 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:43 PM

what? the guy gets hit from behind a lot... and he embellishes it a lot too.

:bigblush:

I see what you did there

Keswho.jpg

#34 :D

:D

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,076 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:45 PM

Maybe there is a deep-seeded, latent, instinctual darkness that lies deep within the Scandinavians on our team...Hansen, Sedins, Edler are of Viking heritage, and their ancestors were warriors and explorers who raided, plundered and settled wide areas of the world.

All kidding aside, there's really nothing about the one game suspension to Hansen that is surprising...it was incidental contact to the head, but unfortunately, this is something that the NHL is trying to get out of the game. Would we have got a similar ruling if something like this happened to Daniel Sedin? Let's hope so.

It's well documented that once you suffer a head injury, the likelihood of suffering another is very high and that it doesn't take much to cause another, so Hossa's "miraculous" recovery is probably nothing more than the Hawks and Hossa taking the necessary precautions to ensure that he didn't have a set back from the Torres hit. If it were any one of the Canucks, that's the way I would expect it to be handled.

Just as Hansen does not have a history of headhunting, Hossa does not have a history of embellishing injuries and has shown that he's a honest player, so I'm inclined to give Hossa the benefit of the doubt...other Hawks, not so much, including Quennville (who I'm surprised kept his trap shut rather than ranting about how sick to his stomach he was about seeing Hossa getting hit in the head).

From a fan perspective, all this drama is great...it just adds fuel to the fire that is the Canucks/Hawks rivalry.

Common sense on CDC? Surely you must have meant that Hossa is a big fat phoney and the NHL conspires against the Canucks at every opportunity. Also, Marchand and the Bruins had to have been involved in this somehow.

#35 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,746 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:46 PM

Biggest divers in the league after Boston.

#36 :D

:D

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,076 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:48 PM

There it is

#37 Scottish⑦Canuck

Scottish⑦Canuck

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,843 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:51 PM

There it is

Didn't take long.

#38 ChuckNORRIS4Cup

ChuckNORRIS4Cup

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,385 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 02:06 PM

Posted Image

Eh8NO.jpg

Trevor Linden Quote Nov. 29th 2012 [Asked if he would return to the game?]
"The game has been with me for a long time, if the right opportunity came about, you never know"

#39 poetica

poetica

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,417 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 02:06 PM

Whether it was done deliberately, or simply allowed to go uncorrected by the team, it absolutely seems that Hossa's "injury" was widely misrepresented. Hossa himself admits he was never actually unconscious despite what was reported and what appeared to be the case to many people.

"Obviously he surprised me and hit me from behind and right in the back of the head," Hossa said of Hansen, who was penalized and then suspended on Wednesday for one game by the League. "Right after [it happened], I was still shaky physically. That's why I didn't return. I was still shaky. The day off kind of slowed it down and [Thursday] morning I woke up and felt much better."
"When I fell down, I kind of knew what happened," Hossa said. "I realized what happened, so that was kind of a good sign. I was just a little shaky right after and I knew it was something not as bad as last time, because I didn't remember … last time … anything. As soon as I went to the dressing room, it kind of happened in the same spot, so something went through my mind [about the Torres hit], but I knew right away after, when I was in the room I was just shaky and I remembered everything when I went to talk to doctor. So, I just felt good about it."

(Note: Emphasis is mine.)
Source: http://www.nhl.com/i...id=nhl:topheads

So, to recap, he only ever felt "shaky" and never lost consciousness despite what it was made to look like on the ice. And now he's back to practicing and said if he has a good night's sleep he plans to play on Friday. So, unless the NHL has a new definition of injury that includes "shaky" I think we can now say that Hossa was not injured. Too bad there isn't an embellishment rule regarding suspensions....

And for those saying whether or not there was an injury did not matter in the suspension, actual screenshot from Shanahan's video explaining why Hansen got a suspension proves that it was one of the 3 "key points":
Posted Image
Go, Canucks, Go!
Every single one of them.

Thanks for the memories, Luo! :'(

#40 Kass9

Kass9

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,847 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 02:36 PM

No injury, and yet Hansen gets suspended.

#41 canuckelhead70

canuckelhead70

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 02:53 PM

As per Darren Dreger and numerous others on Twitter. On mobile so I can't post the tweet.

After a vicious headhunter like Jannik "the Deadly Dane" Hansen targeted him, it's so nice to see that Hossa's flopping on the ice and leaving lead to a twenty minute concussion. My favourite part is how they refused to comment on his status before the verdict was given out. What an honorable, trustworthy team the Blackhawks are!

I love "the deadly Dane", nickname...

Easy to recovery when you never had anything wrong with you in the first place........

#42 gurn

gurn

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 03:12 PM

If that contact can make Hossa shaky he may wish to seriously retire.
I've had a few concussions and if I ever get to the point of a little bump flattening me, I'd be in a desk job for the remainder of my working career. Quit while he still knows his name.

#43 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,838 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 03:15 PM

exactly. the hawks were up by 2 at the time, so he sold a call, got up once there was a penalty called, and went back the the dressing room to make sure he doesn't REALLY get injured in a "blow out" and to help sell any further dicipline. he didn't come back after the nucks tied it/in OT because he was already too deep into the lie at the time. then he's suddenly all ok after the dicipline is handed out.

That's a little too speculative for me, but it's certainly something a number of Hawks fans were suggesting would happen after the Keith elbow on Daniel last year.

I'd say they definitely took precautions considering Hossa's concussion last year and it wasn't necessarily the severity of the blow that caused him to sit out the rest of the game, but rather that it's potentially easier for him to suffer a concussion if he's not healed correctly.

For any other team, I'd assume they were taking all the necessary steps to protect him under the concussion protocols and if he was cleared of having sustained a concussion he might have come back later in the 3rd. Since it's the Blackhawks though (worst team for clearing players of concussions -Seabrook, Hjalmarsson, Toews, Bolland - only to have them play then sit longer or say they played with symptoms), I'd think they might even have considered it was 3-1 Hawks and the potential to make the situation at least look more severe.

There's no way to suggest this was at the level of diving with his injury history and the fact contact was made with Hansen's elbow. It probably didn't feel very good at a minimum so for people suggesting that it was a complete dive is way too far for me.

Edited by elvis15, 21 February 2013 - 03:15 PM.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#44 tas

tas

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,758 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 03:28 PM

the league should punish the action, not the result*

*unless the opposite favors the canucks

#45 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,017 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 03:30 PM

when did they EVER say Hossa had a concussion. the hit could have just dazed him and was pulled from the game for precautionary reasons since the hawks were already up 3-1 at that point...

If Hansens play was "reckless", what was Bolligs? .. karma will dictate that Hossa's career ends with a slapshot to the temple .. reap as you sow, Poo-hawks ..

"To Thine Own Self Be True"

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#46 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,838 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 03:30 PM

Whether it was done deliberately, or simply allowed to go uncorrected by the team, it absolutely seems that Hossa's "injury" was widely misrepresented. Hossa himself admits he was never actually unconscious despite what was reported and what appeared to be the case to many people.

(Note: Emphasis is mine.)
Source: http://www.nhl.com/i...id=nhl:topheads

So, to recap, he only ever felt "shaky" and never lost consciousness despite what it was made to look like on the ice. And now he's back to practicing and said if he has a good night's sleep he plans to play on Friday. So, unless the NHL has a new definition of injury that includes "shaky" I think we can now say that Hossa was not injured. Too bad there isn't an embellishment rule regarding suspensions....

And for those saying whether or not there was an injury did not matter in the suspension, actual screenshot from Shanahan's video explaining why Hansen got a suspension proves that it was one of the 3 "key points":
[image removed]

Fair enough on his comments, but if anyone with recent concussion history, at least serious concussion history as Hossa's was, went down like that after contact to the head I'd put him through the full recovery steps before clearing him to play. If they actually feel he wasn't injured to the point that he'd require the full concussion recovery steps, then I'd feel safe to say they felt he wasn't injured period.

It's a grey area for what is injured and what isn't, but the Hawks can't play it both ways. The NHL on the other hand can use the phrasing "the player appeared to be injured on the play" and call that a consideration in handing down a suspension without any long term injury affects, but it loses it's value somewhat when a team essentially says he wasn't injured

Edited by elvis15, 21 February 2013 - 03:31 PM.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#47 poetica

poetica

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,417 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 03:32 PM

the league should punish the action, not the result*

*unless the opposite favors the canucks

How about they just punish actions evenly and fairly and let's see what that looks like.
Go, Canucks, Go!

#48 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,017 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 03:35 PM

How about they just punish actions evenly and fairly and let's see what that looks like.

That would make a way too much sense .. oh, and never forget that *tas" IS concussed .. rational thought may escape him .. :emot-parrot:

"To Thine Own Self Be True"

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#49 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,742 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 03:43 PM

Common sense on CDC?

You called for me?

#50 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,742 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 03:43 PM

Also...this:

Posted Image

#51 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,330 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 03:47 PM

Posted Image

The Real war is not between the east and the west. The real war is between intelligent and stupid people.

Marjane Satrapi

tony-abbott-and-stephen-harper-custom-da

That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons that history has to teach.

Aldous Huxley.

#52 poetica

poetica

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,417 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 03:48 PM

Fair enough on his comments, but if anyone with recent concussion history, at least serious concussion history as Hossa's was, went down like that after contact to the head I'd put him through the full recovery steps before clearing him to play. If they actually feel he wasn't injured to the point that he'd require the full concussion recovery steps, then I'd feel safe to say they felt he wasn't injured period.

It's a grey area for what is injured and what isn't, but the Hawks can't play it both ways. The NHL on the other hand can use the phrasing "the player appeared to be injured on the play" and call that a consideration in handing down a suspension without any long term injury affects, but it loses it's value somewhat when a team essentially says he wasn't injured

I agree. I'm definitely not implying, nor have I, that Hossa was diving. As I've said before, I fully believe that he was scared when he felt something hit his head due to his history. That's perfectly understandable. I think he dropped and did a "systems check" that we've all felt from time to time when we're scared and think we might have been seriously injured. And I agree that the team did the right think making him sit out the rest of the game. How many times have we seen players go back in thinking they were ok only to be found out not to be later? Erring on the side of caution was definitely the best plan. However, if the team knew he wasn't injured, or even if they suspected that he wasn't they should have been honest about that. They certainly should have corrected the widely reported claim that he had been "knocked out cold" when they knew that not to be the case right away. They allowed misinformation and conjecture to continue, rather than stating the facts as they knew them (that he was never unconscious, but felt shaky and was being monitored to ensure he had not suffered any injury), simply because they knew it would be more likely to get Hansen a suspension. That is dirty and that, and that alone, is what I was referring to.

That being said, I take your point about it being a grey area since he hasn't officially been cleared to play yet and the NHL has to go off of the information that's made available to them. But that's why I have a problem with Chicago (at least seeming to, as I fully admit I don't know what was said in private) not giving fully accurate information about Hossa's condition.

People keep saying those of us who believe it was an accidental play that at best deserved a warning and fine would feel differently if the positions had been reversed. Perhaps, but I wonder how Chicago fans would feel if the situation were reversed and it was one of their players that was suspended under the same circumstances.
Go, Canucks, Go!

#53 Provost

Provost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,946 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 03:53 PM

Wow... all of a sudden Canucks fans are mimicking Dr. Recchi.

If you think that Chicago left their best player off the ice in a close game when he was chasing a hat trick.... JUST to possibly get one of our 3rd liners a 1 game suspension, you are pathetic and deserving of scorn.

Hossa has a serious history of concussion... he got clipped pretty good in the head, the trainers did exactly what they are mandated to BY THE LEAGUE in putting him in the quiet room for the rest of the game.

They kept an eye on him for a day or two to see if any symptoms flared up during exertion in practice... he seems fine to play. I am quite sure that Shanahan knows a lot more about Hossa's medical condition than you do.

Complain about the lack of consistency in discipline in the league, but don't make up dumb conspiracy theories that don't even make any logical sense.

Edited by Provost, 21 February 2013 - 03:55 PM.

Protons have mass? I didn't even know they were Catholic!

#54 surtur

surtur

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,801 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:18 PM

imagine if it was one of Lappy, Burrows, or Kesler laying on the Ice how may people would believe they had any sort of injury on that play... even how they ended up on the ice face down in the first place....and if a suspension resulted and they were practicing the next day Imagine the uproar the league and world over. we would never get a call to go our way ever again.

Release The KraKassian
Kassianthe_Krakensm.jpg

#55 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,371 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:29 PM

People are forgetting that the league already let Hansen off the hook at the beginning of the season, when he clearly pushed a ref out of his way. Intent or not, if the league was "out to get the Canucks", they could have easily given him a suspension for that.

I'm pretty sure if that event didn't happen, this meeting would have been just a warning, or a fine. Regardless of it not being malicious or causing injury, this was Hansen's second reckless play in a month against the "untouchables" (officials and superstars). Of course the league is going to address it.
Posted Image

#56 Trebreh

Trebreh

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,429 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:32 PM

The Blacksucks have captain whiner, a rat and a princess on their team.

#57 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,958 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:33 PM

POPULAR

Really? What about Kesler?

Shaw, Bollig, Bickel, Bolland, Keith and Kane. Your team definitely has the biggest b*tches in the league.

2d7ye0p.jpg

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#58 allkill326

allkill326

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:35 PM

This is Hossa Style. What a player. He knows how to bring depth and production to almost about any good team in the league.

Pittsburgh and now Chicago.
Posted Image

#59 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,925 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:36 PM

Really? What about Kesler?

Oh wow Blackhawk fans weighing in on a Blackhawk being injured (and I use that term as loosely as it can be used) - This will definately be objective :rolleyes:
Posted Image

#60 Bang Bang Boogie

Bang Bang Boogie

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,186 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:36 PM

Wow... all of a sudden Canucks fans are mimicking Dr. Recchi.

If you think that Chicago left their best player off the ice in a close game when he was chasing a hat trick.... JUST to possibly get one of our 3rd liners a 1 game suspension, you are pathetic and deserving of scorn.

Hossa has a serious history of concussion... he got clipped pretty good in the head, the trainers did exactly what they are mandated to BY THE LEAGUE in putting him in the quiet room for the rest of the game.

They kept an eye on him for a day or two to see if any symptoms flared up during exertion in practice... he seems fine to play. I am quite sure that Shanahan knows a lot more about Hossa's medical condition than you do.

Complain about the lack of consistency in discipline in the league, but don't make up dumb conspiracy theories that don't even make any logical sense.

Agree with everything you say. If it was a Canucks player that got hit, everybody would be up in arms about how it is only a 1 game suspension.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.