The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Marian Hossa makes miracle recovery, practicing with Blackhawks.

As per Darren Dreger and numerous others on Twitter. On mobile so I can't post the tweet.

After a vicious headhunter like Jannik "the Deadly Dane" Hansen targeted him, it's so nice to see that Hossa's flopping on the ice and leaving lead to a twenty minute concussion. My favourite part is how they refused to comment on his status before the verdict was given out. What an honorable, trustworthy team the Blackhawks are!

I'm pretty sure J.Q said Hossa was fine in his postgame press conference.

My completely random guess is that Hossa is pissed off that he got hit in the head after being concussed by Torres and maybe had a tiny headache so he went down and stayed down because he wanted to draw attention to it. Yes, I think he embellished. If a Sedin or Kesler had done this, everyone would just say he dived. Double standard, but what can you do? Whether fairly or unfairly warranted (i know, all teams dive) our team has the media's attention when it comes to dramatic diving which is why we'd never get away with something like this. If our own media wasn't against us, things may be different. In the SCF, the bruins media ripped us and our OWN media ripped us as well. How screwed up is that? You'd think your own media would defend you, but the exact opposite happened. Bruins media defends their team to the death, our media should wake up and support this team for once.

when did they EVER say Hossa had a concussion. the hit could have just dazed him and was pulled from the game for precautionary reasons since the hawks were already up 3-1 at that point...

the hawks never commented about it....

come on guys...give your head a shake.

hansen got 1 game for a reckless play...get over it and move on.

Maybe there is a deep-seeded, latent, instinctual darkness that lies deep within the Scandinavians on our team...Hansen, Sedins, Edler are of Viking heritage, and their ancestors were warriors and explorers who raided, plundered and settled wide areas of the world.

All kidding aside, there's really nothing about the one game suspension to Hansen that is surprising...it was incidental contact to the head, but unfortunately, this is something that the NHL is trying to get out of the game. Would we have got a similar ruling if something like this happened to Daniel Sedin? Let's hope so.

It's well documented that once you suffer a head injury, the likelihood of suffering another is very high and that it doesn't take much to cause another, so Hossa's "miraculous" recovery is probably nothing more than the Hawks and Hossa taking the necessary precautions to ensure that he didn't have a set back from the Torres hit. If it were any one of the Canucks, that's the way I would expect it to be handled.

Just as Hansen does not have a history of headhunting, Hossa does not have a history of embellishing injuries and has shown that he's a honest player, so I'm inclined to give Hossa the benefit of the doubt...other Hawks, not so much, including Quennville (who I'm surprised kept his trap shut rather than ranting about how sick to his stomach he was about seeing Hossa getting hit in the head).

From a fan perspective, all this drama is great...it just adds fuel to the fire that is the Canucks/Hawks rivalry.

Whether it was done deliberately, or simply allowed to go uncorrected by the team, it absolutely seems that Hossa's "injury" was widely misrepresented. Hossa himself admits he was never actually unconscious despite what was reported and what appeared to be the case to many people.

"Obviously he surprised me and hit me from behind and right in the back of the head," Hossa said of Hansen, who was penalized and then suspended on Wednesday for one game by the League. "Right after [it happened], I was still shaky physically. That's why I didn't return. I was still shaky. The day off kind of slowed it down and [Thursday] morning I woke up and felt much better."

"When I fell down, I kind of knew what happened," Hossa said. "I realized what happened, so that was kind of a good sign. I was just a little shaky right after and I knew it was something not as bad as last time, because I didn't remember … last time … anything. As soon as I went to the dressing room, it kind of happened in the same spot, so something went through my mind [about the Torres hit], but I knew right away after, when I was in the room I was just shaky and I remembered everything when I went to talk to doctor. So, I just felt good about it."

Archived