The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Defense pairings

bluesman60

Harrison and Edler were a bad pairing that were exposed big time; coaching staff feels better with Hamhius backing up Edler while Edler figures out playing the off side.

Garrison and Bieksa aren't playing on the opposite side. So I don't know where that came from.

The pairings used to look like this:

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Edler - Garrison

Ballard - Tanev

At the start of the season, they were very sloppy. So AV started trying something new and juggling everyone around.

Bieksa has been playing very well on the left lately, so AV is probably trying out the old pairing again but in reversed order.

Edler needs to play well defensively, and Tanev has been playing very well so AV is trying them out.

Garrison needs a spark, so AV is trying him out with Ballard.

All and all, the new pairings each have the ability to be great defensively, as well as a threat offensively.

Bieksa - Hamhuis

Edler - Tanev

Ballard - Garrison

Don't hate it until you see how it turns out.

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Edler - Garrison

Ballard - Tanev

At the start of the season, they were very sloppy. So AV started trying something new and juggling everyone around.

Bieksa has been playing very well on the left lately, so AV is probably trying out the old pairing again but in reversed order.

Edler needs to play well defensively, and Tanev has been playing very well so AV is trying them out.

All and all, the new pairings each have the ability to be great defensively, as well as a threat offensively.

Bieksa - Hamhuis

Edler - Tanev

Ballard - Garrison

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Edler - Garrison

Ballard - Tanev

Bieksa - Hamhuis

Edler - Tanev

Ballard - Garrison

Also, keep in mind that if AV continues to spread out the 5 on 5 minutes for the blueliners, there isn't really a true "3rd pairing".

We should all be thankful that we have 6 guys on the backend that are as skilled as they are. Now, having them play to their potential is an entirely different story...

Look I think Ballard's played PLENTY well enough to get promoted as well, but it's not like the pairings dictated a huge gap in minutes before (aka our 3rd pairing isn't really a 3rd pairing to begin with) and honestly this move doesn't seem to be putting Ballard in the doghouse at all. Tanev plays naturally on the right side which will help Edler out. Ballard did wonders for Tanev's game IMO this season and I'm thinking AV/Bones are hoping he can do the same for Garrison. I'm much more assured with a Garrison-Ballard pairing - which looks steadier and more balanced - than a Garrison-Tanev pairing. Maybe they'll even try Garrison on the right side... he played there a bit last year didnt he?

It ^ looked like some kind of math savant progression AV's got going her, (And I'm really bored) using this history, I predict next week will look like:

Hamhuis - Edler

Bieksa - Tanev

Garrison - Ballard

(No, I'm not really serious, but if he does go with this set up, remember you heard it here first.)

Archived