The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kesler our own version of Ovechkin? Hear me out!

Go Go Canucks Go

Now before you guys yell at me like you'll undoubtedly do, I just wanted to provide my opinion on what I think about Ryan Kesler and how I see some similarities between him and Ovechkin "Offensively". That is the key word, as his 2 way game is obviously better by a mile. Although since he's been back from injury he's been less than stellar defensively.

When I say Kesler is similar to Ovechkin, its by the way they seem unable to adapt or change up their offensive game. All Kesler does it skate really fast trying to be a one man army and try and enter the offensive zone, then try and wrist shot it in everytime. Like many others have said, when he had the 40 goal season no one knew Kesler had that sort of threat.

Now everyone just defends that play and he's rarely scored goals like that since. It's actually very similar to Ovechkin yet they don't know anything else and keep doing it even when it's hurting the team.

Anyways for whatever reason he fails to demonstrate proper vision and playmaking abilities that most typical 2nd line centres display. His inability to use his linemates is my number 1 concern with Kesler. Whenever he does attempt to pass the pucks it really seems forced and not smart. Maybe lack of hockey sense?

Only time he shows his raw talent is on the PP and it's quite obvious why... it's an odd man situation where his speed and skill can shine. 5 on 5 is the problem that i have with him though.

My final issue is that his inability to properly share and distribute the pucks seems to always hurt his wingers. The old saying "great players make those around him better" is false when it comes to Kesler imo. I feel like he actually takes his wingers out of the game because they never seem to form any chemistry.

So in short I feel like Kesler is a lot like Ovechkin. They need to change their offensive styles quickly before their superstardom fair into obscurity

THAT'S MY TWO CENTS

Offensively they are similar, neither one utilize their linemates well, neither one adapt, both play north south. Both shoot too much from the outside. Both will continue to struggle 5 on 5 until they change their mental game.

Obviously defensively they are quite different.

I like as a player Kesler, my BIGGEST problem with him is that he is a drama queen. I thought he might be over it, because Burrows and Lappy changed their game. Kesler is still out there diving. He did in the game vs St.Louis and again vs Chicago. Every ref knows it, so why does he continue to do it??

There are certain areas where a right-handed snap shot is ideal and that is right where OV and Kes have had most of their sucess.

The play is quite predictable just between the hash marks to the left of the net. Although it is a great place to score from it is easy to anticipate when that is going to happen, which makes it easy for defenders to block the shot or the goalie to move laterally to make the save.

Edit: Sorry was talking specifically about the PP for each of these guys. But I defintely see the similarities between Kes and OV, Interesting topic.

I chop this up to coaching. Ryan is not a good second line center as you have noted and that's because if he's on the second line he is playing with other second line players, if they don't get the chance to help out the line your not using two of your top six to the best of there ability.

Take last game into it, the second line is not going well so AV puts a player that has been playing well with Ryan, where dose he put him... On the wing but that player was Schroeder a center that's playing better then Ryan at the time. Now if like to know what dirt Ryan has on AV and why he is so determand to not try Ryan on the wing, he's way to much of a puck hog to be a good second line center. Play him on the second line wing or drop him to the third line center our second line wingers deserve a center that will use them.

Ovechkin is a better player offensively, Kesler is better defensively. Ovechkin gets paid $9MM per year, Kesler gets paid $5MM per year.

If both players dip offensively, Ovechkin will always be the bigger letdown. Kesler is one of the best shutdown players in the NHL. Not similar at all.

Ovechkin is a better player offensively, Kesler is better defensively. Ovechkin gets paid $9MM per year, Kesler gets paid $5MM per year.

If both players dip offensively, Ovechkin will always be the bigger letdown. Kesler is one of the best shutdown players in the NHL. Not similar at all.

In an ideal world Kesler would be better as a winger if you want offensive production. But he's too valuable defensively and hard to play against in that sense when he is center with more defensive responsibilities.

He really broke out offensively the year he moved to wing when Sundin was here. Sundin wasn't playing great so I put much of the success due to Kesler himself. On the wing he can just utilize his strengths a lot better.

I chop this up to coaching. Ryan is not a good second line center as you have noted and that's because if he's on the second line he is playing with other second line players, if they don't get the chance to help out the line your not using two of your top six to the best of there ability.  

Take last game into it, the second line is not going well so AV puts a player that has been playing well with Ryan, where dose he put him... On the wing but that player was Schroeder a center that's playing better then Ryan at the time. Now if like to know what dirt Ryan has on AV and why he is so determand to not try Ryan on the wing, he's way to much of a puck hog to be a good second line center.  Play him on the second line wing or drop him to the third line center our second line wingers deserve a center that will use them.

In an ideal world Kesler would be better as a winger if you want offensive production. But he's too valuable defensively and hard to play against in that sense when he is center with more defensive responsibilities.

He really broke out offensively the year he moved to wing when Sundin was here. Sundin wasn't playing great so I put much of the success due to Kesler himself. On the wing he can just utilize his strengths a lot better.

Sorry, I love both Kesler and Ovechkin, but whenever I hear Ovechkin these days, I think this:

ovicircle3.gif

Hopefully Kesler doesn't fall into that hole. They may play a similar offensive game (and if you have a sharpshooter instinct, that's perfectly understandable) but Ovechkin has too much raw talent for this rut to last. Kesler doesn't have that same offensive nature but he does play an excellent two way game, which is more key here.

The difference being that Ovechkin is a winger, who scored 269 goals in a 5 year span - for him, 38 goals last year was an "off" season, and he went from a +69 the previous two seasons, to a -8. I don't think the problem is shooting the puck too much - he's a sniper. He spent half the season last year playing without Backstrom in the lineup - he's a winger who needs the presence of a center like him imo. His shot totals have actually dropped significantly.

Kesler on the other hand is a center who plunked a 40 goal season in between four 20 goal seasons... I personally don't want to watch the version of Kesler who feels compelled to score 40 goals, not to mention that a good deal of his productivity in his 40 goal year, imo, involved him parking himself in front of the net for Ehrhoff, whereas now he seems determined to generate too much on his own.

I'm actually a bit concerned about Kassian's confidence playing with Kesler - I saw Kassian's play slip a bit (almost looked anxious to avoid mistakes and Kesler's ire) - Kesler still seems to carry that chip on his shoulder - I'd really like to see him slap that ego-monkey off, and adjust his pissy attitude before it gets in the way of being a better team-mate. It's overdue that he clean his mental game up - he wears an "A" and needs to be a supportive example to the rookies, not a frustrated bottleneck who effects them adversely.

I love his game, but it looks constipated at times. I wish he'd just focus on being the frustrating Selke to play against, and forget 'results" - they'll come anyhow, and he doesn't need big numbers to be a big time contributor. An example would be his first two games, where he has notable scoring opportunities, but otherwise, played some uninspiring defensive hockey - I know he just got back, etc, but imo, that should be the other way around. Only two games, but he had 64% offensive zone starts and a -24.4 relative corsi... Without Manny, and with another rookie 3C, the Canucks are going to need him to focus on being a shutdown guy again, and perhaps sacrifice some scoring glory. Either that, or they are going to have to make a move to get another shutdown or two way depth center, which I'd be inclned to do in either event.

Archived