The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kesler our own version of Ovechkin? Hear me out!

Go Go Canucks Go

Not even close to the calibur of where Ovechkin usually is. They have different roles. Players like Kesler and Burrows are pretty overrated by our fans simply because they are on our team. Especially Burrows, he wouldn't really be a 1st line player on most other teams, he just luckily fits in well with the Sedins. Kesler is definitely higher on the depth chart, but still not to the level of a superstar like Nash, St Louis, Ovi, etc

Ive been saying this all along. Kesler was the problem with the 2nd line. Im not sure what happened, or why he decided to become a player mostly focused on himself, but ever since his career year (where he racked up assists) he just stopped even trying to utilize his wingers. When he did that the production on the entire line dropped significantly.

Kesler is a fantastic two way player, and has the ability to be a complete game changer, and one of the best all around centers in the game. In that same breath, a good center is the heart of a line, and it will generally go as he does. It is up to him to get him linemates involved.

We have seen what Raymond has managed to do with having a playmaking center who trusts in his winger.

I hope we see the old Kesler again.

Not even close to the calibur of where Ovechkin usually is. They have different roles. Players like Kesler and Burrows are pretty overrated by our fans simply because they are on our team. Especially Burrows, he wouldn't really be a 1st line player on most other teams, he just luckily fits in well with the Sedins. Kesler is definitely higher on the depth chart, but still not to the level of a superstar like Nash, St Louis, Ovi, etc

I'd honestly wish that Kes could become our own Mike Richards in terms of how he steps up in the playoffs (he looks at times like our Jeff Carter though, when Kes' play has become predictable off the rush, as mentioned).

Mike and Ryan's styles are (well they used to be) quite similar, in that they play hard-nosed, intense two-way hockey with responsible play in his own end. For that one season Kes was also able to step up his play in the playoffs, but now with the diving I'd much rather see him go back to playing the honest, feisty style that makes Richards so successful (though Mike does have shiftiness and sneakiness like in his bank shots on the PP that makes his successful, plus he can play the point when L.A. overloads their 1st unit)

i think part of the problem is the quick transition back into the lineup.

this team started showing some new chemistry while kes was away. not only did some players have to step up and fill the void. players had to find thier own style and flow. (the speed line)

now that kes is back in the lineup. he is being used far too much.

the reason his game has not changed with the team, is that he has not played with the team. now he's on the power play, 2nd line and the whole team is adjusting to his play.

there seems to be a lot of confused looks on players faces since he came back.

Kesler is an enigma.

He put on one of the best individual performances I've ever seen against Nashville, and scored 5 goals in 6 games. However, in the other 47 playoff games he's played, he has a grand total of...5 goals.

He looks deadly on the PP though. Why? Because he's on the wing, playing with playmakers. So either get a playmaking winger for his line, or convert him to wing.

I could make this same thread to say Kesler is like Holmstrom since they both are very good sitting in front of the net on the PP, screening and tipping goals in off of shots from other players.

Players have similarities to other players. They aren't the same as, or our own version of, those players, however.

Archived