Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Kesler our own version of Ovechkin? Hear me out!

• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

#61 Darth Kane

Darth Kane

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:12 PM

Oh I do Kane is such a model human being especially combined with the dark side.

But yah you're right we should compare some Blackhawk players and I mean realistic comparisons:

Like Hossa Compared to this:Posted Image

Discuss!

Edit: I will start, I don't think Hansen's forearm could have do that to the glass even if the glass wasn't wearing a helmet.

The dark side makes everything better!

I'd just like to see Kesler lay off the diving and complaining. He's an awesome forward and he doesn't need to do those things. Back to the original point of this thread, I'd much prefer Kesler over Ovie, he's a much more complete player.

#62 Hunter.S-Kerouac

Hunter.S-Kerouac

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,101 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:38 PM

When Ovie was racking up points he wasn't making his team better. He is having a hard few seasons learning to be more aware defensively he will be a better player for it. He will be a much better player in a year or 2 quote me. He may never beat his points per season total but I expect the capitals will be a much better playoff team soon as Ovie learns to balance his game. Kes on the other hand has been a great defensive player he needs to learn that offencively he needs to use his team mates more to be more effective because he's not as skilled as Ovie in that area there situations are reversed. Ovie is learning defensive positioning and Kes is learning to distribute the puck effectively on offence.

#63 MrsCanuck

MrsCanuck

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,629 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:21 PM

I'll give him a little more time this season since he came off of such a big surgery. He was the only player who showed up for game 7 against BOS.
Posted Image

#64 zejono

zejono

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 601 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:24 PM

I like how he keeps taking that shot that never goes in and then rebounds off the boards back to the goalie

#65 Magnum P I

Magnum P I

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:59 PM

Good post. I agree. I also think Kesler's weak point is failure to use linemates as well as he could. I have said that for years.

Edited by Magnum P I, 21 February 2013 - 08:01 PM.

Posted Image

#66 StutterStep

StutterStep

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:13 PM

Kesler's biggest weakness is his play making ability as a centre; he doesn't look to pass that much. It seems rare that I see him make that extra pass for the best scoring chance except on the PP
Limits like fears are often just an illusion

#67 Kesler's Nose

Kesler's Nose

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:15 PM

Kes will be back, ease up... It's only a few games in after having two injuries at once! Nobody can hold the Kes man back, he plays with heart and raw emotion- just ask Nashville. ;)

"It's an opportunity, we don't look at it as a last chance... We look at it as an opportunity to do something great. We are going to take it period by period, shift by shift. You just have to be better than the guy across from you... Every guy in this locker room I can say believes we can do this." - Ryan Kesler

Posted Image

#68 The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:16 PM

Kessler looks brutal again, dragging his line down.

Schroeder looks good though, AV doesn't seem to mind him taking defensive zone face offs either

Posted Image

#69 Erik Karlsson

Erik Karlsson

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:45 PM

Higgins and Weise should be Keslers wingers since he doesn't pass. Might as well put our skilled players with someone who will try and create plays.

m97o1w.jpg

Credit to Parise11

#70 The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:49 PM

Funny how he can look so bad offensively but end the night with 2 assists. Props to him I guess lol

Posted Image

#71 Erik Karlsson

Erik Karlsson

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:51 PM

Funny how he can look so bad offensively but end the night with 2 assists. Props to him I guess lol

Lol, could be a bad thing since he might think he doesn't need to change his game at all since he's getting points every game.

m97o1w.jpg

Credit to Parise11

#72 Ray_Cathode

Ray_Cathode

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,872 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:49 PM

Now before you guys yell at me like you'll undoubtedly do, I just wanted to provide my opinion on what I think about Ryan Kesler and how I see some similarities between him and Ovechkin "Offensively". That is the key word, as his 2 way game is obviously better by a mile. Although since he's been back from injury he's been less than stellar defensively.

When I say Kesler is similar to Ovechkin, its by the way they seem unable to adapt or change up their offensive game. All Kesler does it skate really fast trying to be a one man army and try and enter the offensive zone, then try and wrist shot it in everytime. Like many others have said, when he had the 40 goal season no one knew Kesler had that sort of threat.

Now everyone just defends that play and he's rarely scored goals like that since. It's actually very similar to Ovechkin yet they don't know anything else and keep doing it even when it's hurting the team.

Anyways for whatever reason he fails to demonstrate proper vision and playmaking abilities that most typical 2nd line centres display. His inability to use his linemates is my number 1 concern with Kesler. Whenever he does attempt to pass the pucks it really seems forced and not smart. Maybe lack of hockey sense?

Only time he shows his raw talent is on the PP and it's quite obvious why... it's an odd man situation where his speed and skill can shine. 5 on 5 is the problem that i have with him though.

My final issue is that his inability to properly share and distribute the pucks seems to always hurt his wingers. The old saying "great players make those around him better" is false when it comes to Kesler imo. I feel like he actually takes his wingers out of the game because they never seem to form any chemistry.

So in short I feel like Kesler is a lot like Ovechkin. They need to change their offensive styles quickly before their superstardom fair into obscurity
THAT'S MY TWO CENTS

\

Actually, the past couple of games, Kesler has been moving the puck much more and that is helping - it'll take a while to get the kinks out. His defensive reads seem a bit off right now, but that will come - he is too good a defensive player for it not to.

#73 Spotted Zebra

Spotted Zebra

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,253 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:03 PM

Kesler > Burrows
Luongo > Schneider
Posted Image
Thanks Vintage Canuck!

#74 klosetotheheart

klosetotheheart

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:08 PM

Bergeron and Kesler is a better comparison imo. Kesler does have similarities to Ovechkin with the way they streak in with speed and try to shoot to much, looks nice and is a good play once in a while if it isn't your only move.

#75 Nino

Nino

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,605 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:09 PM

Kesler > Burrows
Luongo > Schneider

Your point is? Troll....

What has the problems with Ryan have to do with borrows and how is Lou and Cory even brought into this. GET LOST. ;)

Edited by Nino, 21 February 2013 - 11:12 PM.

#76 Spotted Zebra

Spotted Zebra

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,253 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:17 PM

Your point is? Troll....

What has the problems with Ryan have to do with borrows and how is Lou and Cory even brought into this. GET LOST. ;)

The point is Burrows has been TERRIBLE for more than half the games this season, yet everyone still loves the guy because he came from the ECHL? He gets paid what 4 Mil now, and has 10 pts in 16 games playing with the sedins? yes those numbers have improved, but he was supposed to be the answer to the second line, but got outplayed by Raymond and Schroeder.

People love him because he's scored clutch goals in the playoffs. Other than that, I think he had 1 point against the Kings, matching the output from Lapierre and Raymond if I'm not mistaken

J
Posted Image
Thanks Vintage Canuck!

#77 fagin

fagin

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:23 PM

Kes will be back, ease up... It's only a few games in after having two injuries at once! Nobody can hold the Kes man back, he plays with heart and raw emotion- just ask Nashville. ;)

........Thank you for that look back into all our yesterdays .lol.Try to come forward into the real world.

#78 Cromeslab

Cromeslab

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 858 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:24 PM

The guys been off for almost nine months,let him find his game ........jeesh
Posted Image

"Where you've been is good and gone,all you can keep is the gettin there"Townes Van Zandt

#79 37yrsncounting

37yrsncounting

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:25 PM

last i checked, ovechkin doesn't have any selke nominations or wins, comparing ovechkin to kesler based solely on their offensive similarities is unfair. Kesler is more of a complete player. His effort against Nashville in that playoff series was unbelievable. Since then, hes played hurt, give him a break, its only been 4 games. That being said, it would be nice to see Kesler have more fun out there. He just looks so serious at the moment

#80 Nino

Nino

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,605 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:40 PM

The point is Burrows has been TERRIBLE for more than half the games this season, yet everyone still loves the guy because he came from the ECHL? He gets paid what 4 Mil now, and has 10 pts in 16 games playing with the sedins? yes those numbers have improved, but he was supposed to be the answer to the second line, but got outplayed by Raymond and Schroeder.

People love him because he's scored clutch goals in the playoffs. Other than that, I think he had 1 point against the Kings, matching the output from Lapierre and Raymond if I'm not mistaken

J

Are we watching the same team? Are you just looking at the scoresheets? The twins have looked great with Alex, but what has this to do with Ryan? Think your posting on the wrong page? Go post on the what has burrows done for us topic so people over there can flame you. There are lots of Lou Cory topics as well have at it.

#81 nucks_rule1

nucks_rule1

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,773 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:41 PM

this quickly became a bash Kesler thread.
I know the team was clicking before he came back, but come on. The guy is a star, he plays tough and leaves it all out there. Yea i believe he hogs to much and always wants the puck on his stick, but if he continues to play like that he will struggle and then will adapt his game. He does not seem like one that enjoys to struggle (check last year) I think everyone should be glad we have such a player on this team
Posted Image
my thread!

100th post on September 9th 2008
1000th post on june 24th 2010

THANK YOU MIKE GILLIS FOR GREATEST OFF SEASON EVER!

HANK= H(ART ROSS)

#82 fagin

fagin

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:11 AM

this quickly became a bash Kesler thread.
I know the team was clicking before he came back, but come on. The guy is a star, he plays tough and leaves it all out there. Yea i believe he hogs to much and always wants the puck on his stick, but if he continues to play like that he will struggle and then will adapt his game. He does not seem like one that enjoys to struggle (check last year) I think everyone should be glad we have such a player on this team

......He has failed to adapt for many seasons right now.When was his selke again.Was it in the last 3 seasons?

#83 5minutesinthebox

5minutesinthebox

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,717 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:46 AM

J

How blind are you? Burrows was playing center for 5 games, and played exceptionally well (outside of faceoffs). Burrows is an excellent 2 way forward, plays in all situations, has a great shot, is an excellent passer, plays physical. What the hell more can you ask of a player?

#84 Snake Doctor

Snake Doctor

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,393 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:50 AM

Truth is, since Kesler has returned out team chemistry has gone down hill. I'm not saying he is a bad player but like the OP said he is unable to adapt. Mabey put him on the wing, that's where he played his best hockey.
Posted Image

#85 22-33-14

22-33-14

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:30 AM

Everything is wrong about this post, and here is why:

First off, Ovi is a Winger and Kes is a Center. COMPLETELTY different roles on the ice. Ovi is able to station himself anywhere from the left point down to the left corner, but his most popular spot is right along the half-boards about 3 or 4 feet off the boards (where he unleashes though famous one-timers).

Kesler is without question the best Penalty killer for the canucks. He fearlessly blocks shots, and is active with his stick to quickly pressure the other team and force them to move the puck quickly. In terms of offense, Kes occasionaly sets up for that 'Ovi' shot, but at some point in their career, every NHL player does... Kes in the center position rotates around the ice to create openings while a cycle is being generated.

As we've seen from burrows lately, the front of the net is the place to be. Say what you want about Bertuzzi, but he was a major part of those years of success just by stationing himself at the front of the net. If kes can learn to do this on his line, and let guys like Booth and Raymond take the shots, he will become that much better.

#86 The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:38 AM

people need to learn how to read the thread and try and understand what the OP is getting at. Seems like a lot of ppl just read titles

Posted Image

#87 babych

babych

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,308 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:50 AM

Lol, could be a bad thing since he might think he doesn't need to change his game at all since he's getting points every game.

OTOH, if Kes is getting points every game does he need to change his game?

#88 lexluthor

lexluthor

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:40 PM

J

Kesler was out and Burrows was playing center on another line for 5 or so games. Kassian was on the Twins line for about 5 games at the start of the season. Burrows only reunited with the twins when Kesler got back just recently. Where do you get that Burrows played 16 games with the twins.

You must be Stephan Auger's brother/sister/wife (Spotted Zebra) ?

Edited by lexluthor, 22 February 2013 - 12:41 PM.

#89 Bertorama

Bertorama

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:54 PM

You belong on a hockey panel of over analyzations. Kesler is a key role player on this team and that's all there is to it. He is a piece of this team chemistry that allows our best players to be their best. His defensive two way play and aggressive checking style are nothing like Ovechkin. He is a key player on the PK over the past three seasons and finished plus 11 in 2012. Ovechkin was -8. He has an offensive upside like a Trevor Linden.....Not flashy at times but aggressive to the net. He doesn't need to change his game, the team needs his consistency he's not even close to top form yet and the team won't begin to really gel for another 10 games or so. Once the team starts to fire on all cylinders Kes will be potting goals and smashing bodies and blocking shots. What more could you want!

I'm not trying to be rude here but I just think your way off base. If this team has any chance in hell of being a Stanley Cup Team. Kesler will be a huge part of that success.

thcanucks_skate_spin.gif

#90 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:16 PM

Now before you guys yell at me like you'll undoubtedly do, I just wanted to provide my opinion on what I think about Ryan Kesler and how I see some similarities between him and Ovechkin "Offensively". That is the key word, as his 2 way game is obviously better by a mile. Although since he's been back from injury he's been less than stellar defensively.

When I say Kesler is similar to Ovechkin, its by the way they seem unable to adapt or change up their offensive game. All Kesler does it skate really fast trying to be a one man army and try and enter the offensive zone, then try and wrist shot it in everytime. Like many others have said, when he had the 40 goal season no one knew Kesler had that sort of threat.

Now everyone just defends that play and he's rarely scored goals like that since. It's actually very similar to Ovechkin yet they don't know anything else and keep doing it even when it's hurting the team.

Anyways for whatever reason he fails to demonstrate proper vision and playmaking abilities that most typical 2nd line centres display. His inability to use his linemates is my number 1 concern with Kesler. Whenever he does attempt to pass the pucks it really seems forced and not smart. Maybe lack of hockey sense?

Only time he shows his raw talent is on the PP and it's quite obvious why... it's an odd man situation where his speed and skill can shine. 5 on 5 is the problem that i have with him though.

My final issue is that his inability to properly share and distribute the pucks seems to always hurt his wingers. The old saying "great players make those around him better" is false when it comes to Kesler imo. I feel like he actually takes his wingers out of the game because they never seem to form any chemistry.

So in short I feel like Kesler is a lot like Ovechkin. They need to change their offensive styles quickly before their superstardom fair into obscurity
THAT'S MY TWO CENTS

Kesler is not like Ovechkin. One is a Selke winner while the other is a Art Ross and Rocket Richard winner. One can PK and shutdown the opposing line while the other one is not reliable defensively. One is a center that can win faceoffs while the other is a winger. They are anything but the same.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.