The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kesler our own version of Ovechkin? Hear me out!

Go Go Canucks Go

Oh I do Kane is such a model human being especially combined with the dark side.

But yah you're right we should compare some Blackhawk players and I mean realistic comparisons:

Like Hossa Compared to this:broken_glass.jpg

Discuss!

Edit: I will start, I don't think Hansen's forearm could have do that to the glass even if the glass wasn't wearing a helmet.

When Ovie was racking up points he wasn't making his team better. He is having a hard few seasons learning to be more aware defensively he will be a better player for it. He will be a much better player in a year or 2 quote me. He may never beat his points per season total but I expect the capitals will be a much better playoff team soon as Ovie learns to balance his game. Kes on the other hand has been a great defensive player he needs to learn that offencively he needs to use his team mates more to be more effective because he's not as skilled as Ovie in that area there situations are reversed. Ovie is learning defensive positioning and Kes is learning to distribute the puck effectively on offence.

Now before you guys yell at me like you'll undoubtedly do, I just wanted to provide my opinion on what I think about Ryan Kesler and how I see some similarities between him and Ovechkin "Offensively". That is the key word, as his 2 way game is obviously better by a mile. Although since he's been back from injury he's been less than stellar defensively.

When I say Kesler is similar to Ovechkin, its by the way they seem unable to adapt or change up their offensive game. All Kesler does it skate really fast trying to be a one man army and try and enter the offensive zone, then try and wrist shot it in everytime. Like many others have said, when he had the 40 goal season no one knew Kesler had that sort of threat.

Now everyone just defends that play and he's rarely scored goals like that since. It's actually very similar to Ovechkin yet they don't know anything else and keep doing it even when it's hurting the team.

Anyways for whatever reason he fails to demonstrate proper vision and playmaking abilities that most typical 2nd line centres display. His inability to use his linemates is my number 1 concern with Kesler. Whenever he does attempt to pass the pucks it really seems forced and not smart. Maybe lack of hockey sense?

Only time he shows his raw talent is on the PP and it's quite obvious why... it's an odd man situation where his speed and skill can shine. 5 on 5 is the problem that i have with him though.

My final issue is that his inability to properly share and distribute the pucks seems to always hurt his wingers. The old saying "great players make those around him better" is false when it comes to Kesler imo. I feel like he actually takes his wingers out of the game because they never seem to form any chemistry.

So in short I feel like Kesler is a lot like Ovechkin. They need to change their offensive styles quickly before their superstardom fair into obscurity

THAT'S MY TWO CENTS

last i checked, ovechkin doesn't have any selke nominations or wins, comparing ovechkin to kesler based solely on their offensive similarities is unfair. Kesler is more of a complete player. His effort against Nashville in that playoff series was unbelievable. Since then, hes played hurt, give him a break, its only been 4 games. That being said, it would be nice to see Kesler have more fun out there. He just looks so serious at the moment

The point is Burrows has been TERRIBLE for more than half the games this season, yet everyone still loves the guy because he came from the ECHL? He gets paid what 4 Mil now, and has 10 pts in 16 games playing with the sedins? yes those numbers have improved, but he was supposed to be the answer to the second line, but got outplayed by Raymond and Schroeder.

People love him because he's scored clutch goals in the playoffs. Other than that, I think he had 1 point against the Kings, matching the output from Lapierre and Raymond if I'm not mistaken

J

Archived