Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

Phili / Washington / Tampa Bay

Discussion

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 janisahockeynut

janisahockeynut

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:20 AM

I was thinking and asking myself which teams really want a goalie now? Afer thinking about it for awhile and looking at the standings, I started thinking that Phili / Wash / Tampa are the only teams that need the goalie now, meaning this year.

All 3 teams are contenders and for one reason or another, goaltending lets then down. My reasons are simple really, and are as follows.

Tampa Bay stars are aging and their goaltending isn't solid enough. I just don't think Lindback is the goalie that will take them all the way, maybe he improves in a couple of years, but right now he is an average goalie, and has no intangibles......I just don't think he is their answer.......they get a top end goalie and they become a top contender

Phili, has some major hurts on defense, but ultimately, its Bryzgalov that just doesn't instill confidence in me, and I don't think they can get 16 playoff wins out of him ....ever! Can Phili wait? I don't think so. You watch, Paul Holmgren wants to blink, I just don't think he is that patient.

Washington, has a pretty decent team, but their goaltending is too young, and with the assets they have in their system, can afford to make a goaltending move, without disrupting the core to much. My bet is they make the trade with Vancouver, and very soon!

Outside, chance Florida coughs up some talent to get into the mix, but they seem to be in termoil, and are still rebuilding, why trade for an aging goalie. Tallon would do it for Schneider, but it would cost him Bjugstad and a 2013 first to get Cory. I wonder if he can take that risk? Makes me wonder?
But his team is not ready to contend yet, why should he?

What do you think? By the way, no way Toronto does it, as, as long as they are playing like they are now, their fans and management will feel they are a contender and don't need to improve in goal.....this is their Stanley cup run.....I wonder if they can maintain it all year? Meh! It's a short season, they're young, maybe!

Nothing, no one else hasn't said, but my bet if it happens, it will be one of the top 3, my 2 bits is on Washington!

#2 underrated

underrated

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,379 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:54 PM

I think one of the best ways to tell is to look at the goals against each team has per game. Obviously the defense and style of team play is a factor here, but if you look at team stats (http://www.nhl.com/i...iewName=summary Then sort by goals against), you will get a better picture.

The three worst teams are Florida, NYI, and Calgary. This is followed by Washington, Buffalo, Columbus, Tampa, Winnipeg, Detroit, Philly, St. Louis.

Of these teams, Calgary would need to trade Kipper first. Buffalo has Miller. Winnipeg re-signed Pavelec in the offseason, also Montoya is a solid backup. Detroit has Howard, St. Louis has Halak and Elliot.

So the teams remaining are Florida, NYI, Washington, Columbus, Tampa and Philly.
Washington only needs a short term solution, not a long term one which is why Lou and Schneider don't really make sense. Tampa is only a dozen or so games into their trial with Lindback and likely won't panic yet.
Philly has the huge contract of Bryzgalov and honestly he's better than last year, their main problem is defense right now.

So that narrows it down Florida, NYI, Columbus.

Obviously Florida is the only of those situations that Lou would accept a trade to. Schneider could go to any of those three.
Obviously we'd love to get Huberdeau or Gudbranson but that's not likely to happen. The most likely trade IMO would be Luongo, Ballard for Campbell, Theodore, and Matthias (or ideally Bjugstad). This reuinites Campbell with Garrison, and Edler then pairs up with Tanev.

#3 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,382 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 02:37 PM

So what's your proposal? Or are you just speculating? You know we're on v6.0 of the Luongo Discussion thread right?

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

If this team lets go of Sang he will burn this team next year.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.