The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposal) 3 Deals at Deadline (VAN-PHX, VAN-FLA, VAN-COL) + My Luongo Trade at the 2013 Draft

READ FULLY

PRE-READING NOTES

- Each team we trade with in this proposal keeps a small chunk of salary of the players we acquire

- All teams I trade with are close to the cap floor and are struggling, so can retain salary if need be

- All the players we acquire are pending UFA's but I know we can keep 3/4 for next season

- I trade our 1st in the FLA trade, because I know we'll get one back in a Luongo trade this summer

- The trade with Florida also allows us to have TWO 2nd LINES

- It states that we have $5,168,125 extra cap space at the trade deadline on April 3rd

- Phoenix is the only team in a playoff spot at 7th, but can easily falter

- I checked how many contracts we have - 50/50, so we need to trade the same number of players

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To Phoenix: Dale Weise, Billy Sweatt + 2013 5th

To Vancouver: Raffi Torres & Kyle Chipchura

REASONS: This trade hinges on whether the Coyotes are in a playoff spot or not. Both their players are pending UFA's, so two RFA's that can possibly (at least one of them anyway) help their team next season. We get big hard hitting players in Torres and Chipchura to help our playoff run and to wear down the other teams.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To Florida: Anton Rodin, Derek Joslin + VAN 2013 1st & 4th

To Vancouver: Stephen Weiss & Alex Petrovic

REASONS: Though Florida sends us Alex Petrovic, they have a slew of up and coming prospects. We send them our 1st and 4th to help them draft and rebuild, plus they receive two more prospects who are close to NHL ready. That's a hefty price to pay for a pending UFA in Weiss. That is why they would have to include Petrovic. They already have a huge RH D-man in Gudbranson, plus they have Kulikov, Jovanovski, Campbell, Kuba, Strachan & Weaver, which makes 7 already NHL capable defensemen. This trade also re-unites Weiss with Booth, where both have had the most success in their careers playing on the same line together.

To Colorado: Andrew Ebbett + 2014 2nd

To Vancouver: Ryan O'Byrne

REASONS: The reason the trade for O'Byrne requires a high pick in next year's draft for pending UFA, is because we've already traded away a 1st, 4th and 5th in the previous trades. We need to at least keep the 2nd & 3rd picks in this deep draft. O'Byrne is brought in for depth, and is huge at 6'5 234. Ebbett goes to their team for their farm team / depth.

Send Volpatti + Schroeder to the Wolves for that last bit of extra cap room, and the roster is:

Sedin Sedin Burrows

Higgins Kesler Kassian

Booth Weiss Hansen

Raymond Lapierre Torres

Chipchura

Hamhuis Bieksa

Garrison Edler

Ballard Tanev

Alberts O'Byrne

Schnieder + Luongo

END NOTES:

- Each forward line has a defensive presence on it (Burrows, Kesler, Hansen & Raymond/Lapierre)

- The defense gets extra depth on it plus a monster player who can fit anywhere in the bottom-4

- Goalies stay the same for the remainder of this season, which is good

- The forward lines can be divided in 3 ways (top-6, middle-6 or bottom-6), and can be juggled nicely

- And don't worry, I know we'll get a 1st rounder in the Luongo trade

MY LUONGO TRADES (4 potential teams - Toronto, Florida, Washington & )

To Toronto: Roberto Luongo + VAN 2013 3rd & 2014 4th

To Vancouver: Jay McClement, Cody Franson (RFA), Joe Colborne (RFA) + TOR 2013 1st

To Florida: Roberto Luongo + VAN 2013 3rd + 2014 4th

To Vancouver: Shawn Matthias (RFA), Drew Shore + FLA 2013 1st

To Washington: Roberto Luongo + VAN 2013 3rd + 2014 4th

To Vancouver: Mathieu Perrault, Jason Chimera + Michal Neuvirth (RFA) + WSH 2013 1st

To Tampa Bay: Roberto Luongo + VAN 2013 3rd + 2014 4th

To Vancouver: Brett Connolly, Benoit Pouliot (RFA) + TBL 2013 1st

You can't have TOrres and Raymond on a fourth line. Yes that is incredible depth, but to win in the playoff you can't roll 4 line evenly. You need 4th liner that accepts their roles and won't complain on ice-time.

We don't need more depth, we need better quality players on the top 6. To me Booth, Higgins, Weiss aren't top 6 material on a contender.

You can't have TOrres and Raymond on a fourth line. Yes that is incredible depth, but to win in the playoff you can't roll 4 line evenly. You need 4th liner that accepts their roles and won't complain on ice-time.

We don't need more depth, we need better quality players on the top 6. To me Booth, Higgins, Weiss aren't top 6 material on a contender.

I'd do the Weiss deal for sure if Florida would allow it. With that move I'd bump Weiss up to the 2nd between Kes and Booth and then have Higgins center the 3rd line between Burr and Hansen. However, I'd be wary of the fact that Jordan may get picked off.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows (only in 5-on-5; Kassian gets the PP minutes for me)

Booth - Weiss - Kesler (legit 2nd line and 2nd PP unit)

Ray - Schroeder - Kassian (if the Twins need protection, these two would need it more so I'd put Zack with them)

Higgins - Lapierre - Hansen (previous 3rd line can handle tougher match-ups that Schroeder's line would take)

I'd be against the O'Byrne pickup though, esp. not for a second when the team's 1st is already gone. As well, with these big "deterrent" guys, while people may think it's necessary to damage the other team's guys, I don't think they'd need more than one on the team, esp. not for that cost of a 2nd. I'd rather just trade Vandermeer or Barker for him (if that's even much of an improvement).

Also not too sold on the 1st one, people like Torres but his antics often fire up the other team instead. Again, for physicality I'd stick with Vandermeer and Barker (and pick up someone who's better at faceoffs than Chip).

My notes (Or response :P )

- Don't want or need Torres, apparently there were issues, and he doesn't play the same style. Would rather Volpatti honestly.

- We don't give nearly enough for Weiss + Petrov IMO. Petrovic > Rodin, then Weiss > 1st + Joslin.

- We overpay for O'Bryne, plus he isn't needed especially at that price since we have quality depth guys in Alberts, Barker and Vandermeer.

- I don't mind getting Chipchura though.

- None of the Luongo deals are really all that enticing. Aside from the TBL one, but I don't really think they would do it.

I know you've proposed something similar before, but I still don't get it.

• We send out $615K and drop $1.625M to the minors. Total out $2.24M.

• We get back $2.425M from Phoenix, $3.1M from Florida (without Petrovic on the roster), and $1.8M from Colorado. Total in $7.325. Cut that in half (max amount each team could keep of cap, which includes salary so not sure why they would) for $3.6625M

• Capgeek projects the $5.16M you mentioned, so that fits this year even with taking on most of the cap and salary as mentioned.

• You expect to re-sign most of those UFAs, and offset that with a Luongo trade in the summer

• That Luongo trade could bring back a probable scenario of one of the following in cap for our roster next year, assuming similar contracts:

• Tor - $2.7M (without Colbourn), +$1M for a backup, -$5.33M for Luongo, =$1.63M less cap

• Fla - $1.921M, +$1M for a backup, -$5.33M for Luongo, =$2.43M less cap

• Was - $3.95M, -$5.33M for Luongo, =$1.4M less cap

• Tam - $3.433M, +$1M for a backup, -$5.33M for Luongo, =$900K less cap

• So with at most $2.43M in cap savings from a Luongo deal, plus perhaps (again at most) $3.66M in prorated cap savings from this year, we still have to trade, release as a UFA, or buyout a player making probably at least $3-4M to get below the cap.

Of course, correct me if my math is wrong on any of that, but that's a lot just to wrap our heads around if the deal would even work.

That assumes of course the other teams would be willing to do the deals you've proposed, or that we would feel we get enough back, and there are so many I don't know where to start. We also trade away 6 picks in the next two drafts, but get only one back, although we do get some young players/prospects back in a Luongo deal potentially.

I still don't think this would work. We give up some fairly weak stuff (apart from the 1st and 2nd and those are still likely low round picks) even if we're getting UFAs back, and I don't think we do much to entice all the other teams to bite.

We might get the most marginal of pieces for attempting most of those trades, some of which we've passed on before, and I don't think making so many changes to our roster would be the way to go in a short season.

EDIT: I don't know why I bothered with all that, I had a headache before and this didn't help.

Archived