The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

if you could make one coaching decision, what would it be?

billabong

82 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Re bringing in Ruff.

People here want to dump AV so we could pick up a coach who:

- makes a decent/elite goalie look like a desperate head case just keeping his team in games.

- apparently can't coach D

- gives up a goal a game more then they score

- juggles lines like it's the only coaching option available to him.

Where's the upgrade here?

Guest Gumballthechewy

Assuming I could talk the GM into waiving and calling up a few players....

I would waive the Sedins, recall Ebbett, call up Archibald and make this our first line:

Archibald - Ebbett - Wiese

Oh yeah! Cup winning material right there! Booya!

wtf is with the love for Ruff over AV? AV has an awesome record with the canucks and here we are with a great start to the year. Plus he comes across 10X more likeable than Ruff, i think AV is more respected by the players than Ruff would be. The system is working well, the goalies are playing great, our top line is starting to click, no need for a change now. I would only consider it if we had a early exit in the playoffs this year.

This might be redundant, but still, I'm bored, so I'll make this thread. If I were coach then I'd:

1) talk to Kesler, make him understand that he isn't Stamkos. He's gotta start passing more.

2) put Garrison on the power play. We brought him here because he's got a crazy shot, we might as well use him.

3) put Schroeder on the second line; him, Kesler and Booth would lethal.

4) let Lappiere play more. The guy's a beast! Great forechecker, backchecker, agitator and super gritty.

5) tell Edler, Bieksa and Garrison to calm down and play safer. They've given up the puck waaaay too many times this year!

Flame away.

1) He's clicking at a point per game coming off of two major surgeries.

2) Until he can hit the net consistently, he's not going to be playing on the power play anytime soon, hopefully he proves me wrong.

3) You do understand we have 4 true centers and if we put 2 of them on one line that leaves us with 1 center for the third and fourth lines...

4) Lappy is a 3rd/4th line player, the opportunity cost for playing him over the Sedin's or Kesler's line is far too high to justify giving him more than 12 minutes a game (what he's averaging right now).

5) Easier said than done.

I wonder if Coach V ever thought of any of this stuff. Especially the Garrison on the PP, and him, Edler, and Bieksa playing safer. He probably didn't even realize that he didn't have Garrison on the PP. And he probably doesn't get Edler, Bieksa, and Garrison to practice everyday to make them play safer on their Blue line... You should be coach, you would be WAY better

2) Garrison started the year on the PP and it was basically a disaster. As of yesterday, he was having trouble hitting the net, getting the shot through, as well as trouble keeping the the puck in play at all. Coaching staff took him off the PP to get him comfortable with playing defense first, which he is just starting to do.

Our 1st unit is looking lethal, and Hamhuis and Bieksa haven't done anything to lose their spot on the 2nd unit either. In other words, the PP units are looking pretty good the way they are. For now, that is. To his credit, Garrison had a great game vs. Dallas. However, until necessity dictates, I don't think Garrison needs to be overwhelmed with too many roles/too much pressure. Just get him used to the system and move from there. I have no doubt that integrating Garrison to the PP is ultimately the goal, but I'm okay with not rushing it.

3) Schroeder has been GREAT at centre, and we need him there with Manny out. Not to mention moving Cody to the wing produced less than optimal results, which could caution coaching away from doing so (which again, is an unnecessary move in the first place). Plus, the Raymond/Schroeder chemistry is a bit too valuable to split up. As for Kes, I wouldn't mind seeing the Amex line + Raymond-Schroeder-Hansen if AV needs to shuffle in the future. He still hasn't found that 2nd line winger soulmate since Burrows, but the Amex line did have some success in the past.

Our D needs to stop propping up our offence. It leads to us giving up too many goals when they are caught pinching...........which as I say is almost all the time.

A good opposition coach MUST see that and prey on it. Boston did.

We are pushovers for quick counter attacks.

PS if we ever get a good sniper to play with the Raymond - Schroeder line, we will go all the way. Kesler and Booth are too greedy, Hansen is a really good fit meantime.

First i would chew a lot of gum...

then after that I would probably just play with the lines until my little heart's content...

Bring up Pinizzotto see if he can 4th line centre it, then put Lappy as my 3rd line centre...Schroeder to 2nd line center and move Kesler to the wing on that line...

HEY I'M THE COACH RIGHT NOW SO YOU JUST SHUT UP AND LIKE IT!!!   =)

In related news, why do a lot of people think we should fire our coach in the midst of a season when we are in first place in our division?  That isn't a good sign if we do that...plus the players and coach would have to get acclmated to each other and I think the season would be doomed then.

I say if we have an early playoff exit then get AV out of there asap and get in a coach early to get a system running that we can start working on come training camp.Then again what do I know...I'm American...still don't see why you all spell center as centre. So i spelt it diffrently above just to fit in with both crowds. =)

I'd put Kesler on the third line (or our defensive 2nd line). I'd put together a more offensive line with Schroeder and Booth together. Kesler would still gets 1st PP time and PK time, and that third line would probably play more than the 2nd line, specially in tight games. Plus even though it's suppose to be a defensive line, they still have scoring abilities.

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Booth/Raymond-Schroeder-Kassian

Higgins-Kesler-Hansen

Obviously give the starting goalie position back to Luongo. Schneider clearly can't handle the pressure of a full-time starter. Say what you want about his good saves lately, this is a results-based industry, not performance based. If a scorer gets a lot of good chances but never scores he's worth nothing. If a goalie makes a bunch of great saves but lets in lots of bad goals and loses games he's no good.

Look at the stats, they tell the whole story:

Luongo - GAA of 1.63, Save % of 0.938, Winning Point Percentage of 78.6%

Schneider - GAA of 2.68, Save % of 0.912, Winning Point Percentage of 61.1%

Luongo > Schneider in every facet of the game this season, he gives us a much better chance of winning games and deserves his starting job back. This is not even a question any more, Schneider has been letting in bad goals since opening night and it didn't stop there, meanwhile Luongo has had just one game letting in 3 goals which included the lone "bad goal" against for him.

No brainer - give Luongo his starting position back, or at least give the goalies a 24-24 game split. Schneider is clearly not starting material considering where he sits in comparison to other NHL starting goalies right now.

As we are going to make the playoffs I'd quit playing mind games with kassian and let him play through his mistakes, staying on the Kesler line...kassian could be a good set up guy for kes and could be a big part in the playoffs.

If Weise is the default 2nd liner this team gots probs.

Our D needs to stop propping up our offence. It leads to us giving up too many goals when they are caught pinching...........which as I say is almost all the time.

A good opposition coach MUST see that and prey on it. Boston did.

We are pushovers for quick counter attacks.

PS if we ever get a good sniper to play with the Raymond - Schroeder line, we will go all the way. Kesler and Booth are too greedy, Hansen is a really good fit meantime.

You guys are dumb. Whats wrong with our coach back to back Presidents isnt enough,missed the Big trophey by 1 game. Worst fans anywhere. Lou,run get as far away from this as you can. Vancouver fans the rotten, spoiled child we all wanna slap, you young punks dont remember the dry times, try being a fan in the 80's. Dumb, we need a new coach, our goalies suck, You spoiled undeserving fans suck.

Archived