The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Canucks 4 - Stars 3 - 02/21/13

Strombone1

Very enjoyable game to watch. Dallas had the upper hand at times and we were kinda lost there, but pulled back together and clicked in the third.

- Kesler was still a bit of, thats okay though.

- Booth looked good, just the execution needs to find the execution again.

- Schneider looked solid and made some really nice saves.

- Lovely goal by Hank and Burr! 10+

- Backhand -night :) Beauty by Bieksa. I've never been a big fan of him, but he still always comes through and proves me wrong.

- Happy with the goal from Garrison. That's going to help his game moving forward, knowing it'll work itself out along the way.

So many things to be happy about here, even if it was a tight game that we, nor they, did really control fully at any point.

Hockey is a fast game, and being a ref is difficult. Things flash by in the blink of an eye, and rarely is a situation ever black-and-white.

However, when it is crystal clear there is a blatent infraction, there is no excuse:

75.2 Minor Penalty - A minor penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct shall be assessed under this rule for the following infractions:

iv) When a player, including a goalkeeper, is penalized for being the instigator of an altercation and who is wearing a face shield.

Mn09C.jpg

Wow, Roussel's actions were ultra-cheap. Glad when i saw him take a 95mph Garry slapper to the midsection. Karma hurts nuts.

Not sure why Kassian was benched when it's Kesler who was to blame for that first goal and of course the net-front giveaway. He came back too early again, folks. What a hero.

I don't understand why people beef about the goalies. Both give us a great chance to win. Cory deserved this game for his Chicago game and Lou deserves the next start because it was an average game for Cory just like the game before Chicago. Lately we just ride the goalie that's hot.

One play really stuck out to me yesterday. It was Garrison and I think Ballard defending a 2 on 2 rush.

Ballard is with the puck carrier and Garrison is with the other forward.

Garrison then all of a sudden leaves his man and goes to the puck carrier that Ballard is already engaged with leaving the other forward wide open/

The puck carrier tried to pass it off to the open man but Garrison was just able to get his stick on it in time.

What the hell was he thinking?

I've never seen a d-man completely abandon his check on a 2 on 2 before (UNLESS the puck carrier beat his d-partner)

Maybe I'm being overly critical... I was also upset that many times during PK, Garrison had the puck on the end boards, his teamates yell "time" meaning he has got lots of time to clear it and then he just rings it low along the boards which gets kept in at the blue line) I noticed this on 2 occasion.

I would think with his hard slapshot, he would just slap it high along the glass which would be much easier to clear

But then again I noticed that happens to a lot of our Dman like Hamhuis as well...

Also, Garrison had a steady game and Tanev was great on the PK. Kass destroying Rousell was classic - esp since Rousell started swinging before Kass even knew he was in a fight.

Sidenote: Taylor Hall better get a phone call from his knee flap on Clutterbuck right now. Garbage.

Garrison looks like he is getting more and more comfortable with the Canucks system, he is going to be a star on the blueline for a long time.  Tanev keeps improving as well, he could be a good one.

Hall is getting a call, but be careful what you wish for.  Bieksa stuck his knee out on Loui, so should he get a call too?  What's good for one player should be good for the other.  Way too much one-sidedness on this forum.

Hockey is a fast game, and being a ref is difficult. Things flash by in the blink of an eye, and rarely is a situation ever black-and-white.

However, when it is crystal clear there is a blatent infraction, there is no excuse:

75.2 Minor Penalty - A minor penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct shall be assessed under this rule for the following infractions:

iv) When a player, including a goalkeeper, is penalized for being the instigator of an altercation and who is wearing a face shield.

Mn09C.jpg

Rousell didn't 'instigate' the fight though. That's the only difference. He appeared to instigate it because he got some early shots in, but that was only because Kassian put his hands on his chin strap instead of being prepared to fight (not Kassian's fault, he was trying to do the right thing). They both wanted to fight.

Archived