The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[DISCUSSION] Taylor Hall kneeing major on Cal Clutterbuck

SkeeterHansen

Watch Hall's knee area on impact, definitely looks like that's where it hits, but the angle is so awkward that it's like a knee-hip hybrid!

lol @ Hall's post game comments about it being bad "seeing a guy sitting on the ice like that" or whatever, lol

I can see how the refs called it a "knee on knee" hit in real time. When I first saw it, I thought the same thing. After I've had a chance to look at it more, it looks more like knee-femur hit. Doesn't look like Hall tried to "knee" but more just hit Clutter late. I have a feeling he'll get a game or two, but it'll be more of a "Hall... don't become Pronger" warning.

good god guys, the puck was right on his skate 1/4 of a second prior and it appear he was kicking it to his stick. if that's what hall thought, then the body position of Clutterbuck would have been hip to hip with Hall. Instead the puck didn't come into his control and he remained with his hips square to Hall. Watch it again, this is pretty clear.

My assessment is that Hall assumed Clusterphu was taking possetion of the puck.

"you can't argue the puck was anywhere near him on that play" says the moron calling the game.

To say the puck was nowhere near is LUDICROUS. It touched him less than 1/2 a second prior and it appeared he might take possession.

Bunch of kittens around here.

You could argue that the hit could be interference, as Clutterbuck didn't have the puck when he hit him, however Clutterbuck WAS attempting to play the puck with his feet a when Hall committed to the hit.

It's sad that Clutterbuck is hurt, but he's got to keep his head up, if the puck is in his vicinity and he attempts to play it (even with his feet) he's fair game for physical contact.

-Hall was coasting, not skating hard, so there's no charging

-Despite the call on the ice, Hall did not hang out a leg, that was a hipcheck.

-It's unfortunate that injury occurred on the play, but I would say the primary cause of injury would be that Clutterbuck had his head down watching the puck - unlike a blindside hit, where a player hits another player from behind - Clutterbuck would have easily seen Hall if he had kept his head up and could have braced himself for the hit.

I know it's an Oiler player that has done this, but if I set aside my bias, I would say the hit is clean. The result is terrible, but open ice hits happen, players always have to be aware who is on the ice.

league after reviewing the play ..... no penalty or suspension needed clean hit haha thats probably what will happen

jannick hansen being suspended was ridiculous and it shows how much of a joke the league is, poor lil hossa retire if u cant take a bump but guess what hes practising and will play tomorrow what a absolute joke

taylor hall hit tonight was the dirtiest hit ive seen this yr total intent to injure should automatically be five games if not ten. dont worry tho hall wont have a long career some one will take his number and return the favor one of these days. He plays like lindros head down going nto the offensive zone hes gonna get destroyed one a these days. The league needs to take out the instigator rule and let players regulate them selves. Until that day we'll have rats in the league like marchant and versteeg.

I can't imagine the uproar in Oiler country if it had been Clutterbuck doing the same to Hall. This smacks so much of a repeat of Steve Moore, except this time it's the 'star player' hitting the 4th liner.....if Hall doesn't get a big suspension the NHL will be saying they don't care about this sort of play.

What will be a sure bet is March 3rd, when the teams meet again in Minnesota....if Hall is in the lineup, he will turtle on the ice in the fetal position if the Minnesota anthem singer offers to fight him.

Oof, that looked terrible.

I don't think Hall's a dirty player, and I honestly don't think his intent was to injure him. Looks like a hipcheck gone horribly awry, but at the end of the day, it is still a reckless play.

He'll probably get a few games, but no more than 5.

Hall plays irresponsibly both ways .. he will have a short career, and now Clutterbuck's career may be shortened as well .. totally preventable .. Hall turned and lead with his knee .. expect him to get a fine and then a major arse kicking if he is man enough to play in Minnie ..

I think the most damning piece of evidence is the fact that even if Hall's hipcheck had gone right, it's still interference. I don't think it would be reasonable for anyone to expect a chip-out to be corralled on the first bounce, which would have been the only way Clutterbuck would have possession at the time the hit was made. I've watched this ten times now and the puck was literally two feet in front of the direction Hall was moving until he changed direction to finish the hit. That being said I think he could get one to two games for being reckless and because Clutterbuck was injured; which we know the NHL takes into account (probably to soothe rabid fanbases and owners looking for blood). Although if the roles were reversed I could see Cal getting 5+.

Archived