BEASTLY!!!

#32 GarthButcher5

GarthButcher5

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:59 PM

I'm surprised that they don't just send him home so that he doesn't get hurt again which would allow for a buyout in the summer.

#33 mpt

mpt

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,448 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:07 PM

My gut for a long time now was the Islanders trying trade Dipietro to make way for Luongo.

Niño coming back plus others?

#34 Teemu Selänne

Teemu Selänne

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,199 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:16 PM

They should just Manny Malhotra him.

#35 theminister

theminister

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,194 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:36 PM

Lou
3rd 2013

For

Niederreitter
Bailey
Pokka/Mayfield/Donavan
Nabokov

small.pngNEW YORK ISLANDERS ROSTER - CDC GM LEAGUEsmall.png

2013 CDCGML CUP CHAMPIONS

#36 Provost

Provost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,793 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:45 PM

I'm surprised that they don't just send him home so that he doesn't get hurt again which would allow for a buyout in the summer.

As per a previous post in this thread.... why the hell would the Islanders buy him out? Buyouts are for 2/3rds the actual cash for the remainder of the contract and none of that money counts towards the cap.

The Islanders just took on a contract to help them get to the cap floor. Why would they spend 2/3rds of DiPietro's salary to NOT get any cap hit from it? It doesn't make a lot of sense, they would spend most of the cash and then have to pay the cash again to another player to get to the cap floor.

If they could trade his contract to another team to get THEM to buy him out, then it is a possibility. You could effectively buy a lottery pick that way. Make the Islanders give you their 1st round pick in exchange for Dipietro. You are spending $30 million in cash for a top pick basically... not out of the realm of possibility even though it sounds a bit rich (maybe the Islanders throw in another young prospect).

Edited by Provost, 22 February 2013 - 01:47 PM.

Protons have mass? I didn't even know they were Catholic!

#37 Nox

Nox

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:50 PM

Wasn't Thomas' contract $0 impact for NYI but helped with the cap floor?
Saving 33% on DiPetro is still saving 33% that can be spent elsewhere.
66% wasted is still bad.

More than any other team making a Luongo trade with NYI is exciting.
Snow and Wang are so unpredictable they might give us a dream trade.

#38 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,792 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:54 PM

With the new CBA, Islanders can park DiPietro in the AHL and still get most of his cap hit ($3.6M) applied to their books.

Also, when he's injured, his salary's covered by insurance. So there's no reason for the Isles to buy him out.
Posted Image

#39 The Bookie

The Bookie

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,753 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:57 PM

heh, I love that it's 'when' he's injured, not 'if'

#40 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,821 posts

This guy is such a crook. I have to think a majority of those 'injuries' were embellished. Ah man, I'd give my left nut to be making a cool 4.5m for doing nothing, while being able to spend it in the big apple.

Seriously though, I understand the CBA has protections against law suits, but the Isles should seriously look at suing this thief!

2d7ye0p.jpg

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#41 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,821 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:58 PM

This guy is such a crook. I have to think a majority of those 'injuries' were embellished. Ah man, I'd give my left nut to be making a cool 4.5m for doing nothing, while being able to spend it in the big apple.

Seriously though, I understand the CBA has protections against law suits, but the Isles should seriously look at suing this thief!

2d7ye0p.jpg

#42 goalie13

goalie13

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,076 posts

This is the ridiculous contract that MG should have taken note of before signing Luongo to his absurdly large contract, IMO. This is an example of what happens when a player signs a massive deal and quite frankly busts, injuries notwithstanding.

The difference is though, Luongo's deal is back-diving to take advantage of a loophole in the old CBA. DiPietro's is just a massively long contract.
Posted Image

#43 Apples

Apples

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,922 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 02:03 PM

I hope someone picks him up, poor guy has been injured half of his careeer

apple_e0.gif

apple_e0.gifapple_e0.gif

apple_e0.gifapple_e0.gifapple_e0.gif

#44 canuckfan85

canuckfan85

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 02:06 PM

Lou
3rd 2013

For

Niederreitter
Bailey
Pokka/Mayfield/Donavan
Nabokov

no way

we are getting no good players in that deal. No one in that deal will even come close to what Luongo has accomplished. That would be a disaster

#45 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,592 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 02:08 PM

By far his most memorable play.

Posted Image

#46 Provost

Provost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,793 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 02:12 PM

Wasn't Thomas' contract $0 impact for NYI but helped with the cap floor?
Saving 33% on DiPetro is still saving 33% that can be spent elsewhere.
66% wasted is still bad.

More than any other team making a Luongo trade with NYI is exciting.
Snow and Wang are so unpredictable they might give us a dream trade.

So for amusement sake... assume my premise above, that we were willing to take on DiPietro's contract simply in order to buy him out. What would that sort of deal take?

To NYI:
Schneider (don't think Luongo would waive to go there.. .and NYI might be leery to get into another goalie on a long term contract)

To Van:
NYI 1st round pick 2013
Niederreiter
Hamonic
DiPietro (for buyout in summer)

Almost no chance of MG spending $30 million of the owner's money like this... but entertaining to speculate.
Protons have mass? I didn't even know they were Catholic!

#47 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 02:14 PM

The difference is though, Luongo's deal is back-diving to take advantage of a loophole in the old CBA. DiPietro's is just a massively long contract.

My entire point was that I personally despise long-term contracts, whether they're of the DiPietro variety or the Luongo variety, and especially for a goaltender, considering the higher risk of injury. DiPietro is as one of my good friends put it the "poster child for why NHL contracts should be kept relatively short".
Posted Image

View PostScott Hartnell, on 11 June 2013 - 02:11 PM, said:

Well I tell you what Heretic..if Tim Tebow becomes Terry Bradshaw I will shave off all my hair, convert to Christianity, go into the ministry and become a preacher.

#48 Pineapples

Pineapples

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,720 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 02:27 PM

Does that mean they would prefer Thomas' cap hit over a healthy Dipietro?

Pineapple_jumps.gifPineapple_jumps.gif

#49 Kyosama

Kyosama

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 602 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 02:57 PM

So for amusement sake... assume my premise above, that we were willing to take on DiPietro's contract simply in order to buy him out. What would that sort of deal take?

To NYI:
Schneider (don't think Luongo would waive to go there.. .and NYI might be leery to get into another goalie on a long term contract)

To Van:
NYI 1st round pick 2013
Niederreiter
Hamonic

Almost no chance of MG spending $30 million of the owner's money like this... but entertaining to speculate.

Jesus man, tone down the value on Schneider. A lot.

#50 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,821 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 02:59 PM

Jesus man, tone down the value on Schneider. A lot.

Eh it's not that bad, considering we're taking back Dipietro's contract and swallowing his 60m+ buyout. Doing the Islanders a huge favour in taking away their greatest cost.

2d7ye0p.jpg

#51 Phil_314

Phil_314

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,050 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:04 PM

What a mess. Yashin's cap is still on the books for 2 years after this, Thomas' is helping them get above the floor and now DiPietro adds to that expensive paperweight pile (guess they got lucky that Visnovsky decided to show up). That adds up to 1/5 of their salaries ($11.7M/$53)

The franchise may "win" in that Poulin gets to play and actually do well since Rick's basically squandered goods, and Rick will enjoy earning $4.5M in the minors (doubt they'll keep him around, or they'll be letting Poulin go to waste) but whoever signed him to that contract looks like the biggest fool out there. Their GM should consider themselves lucky that Tavares actually wants to stay.

John 3:16
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.

Jesus LOVES YOU!
2012, meet Matthew 24:36-47!

14 I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

#52 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,792 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:08 PM

If there is a Lu deal with the Islanders on the table, what are people expecting as a return?

Neiderreiter is obvious, but beyond that? Bailey? Do either make our current lineup?

The guy that really intrigues me for this season is Visnovsky. But we'd have to send a D-man back for that to work.
Posted Image

#53 Kyosama

Kyosama

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 602 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:15 PM

Eh it's not that bad, considering we're taking back Dipietro's contract and swallowing his 60m+ buyout. Doing the Islanders a huge favour in taking away their greatest cost.

A top 10 pick in this draft = Schneider.

#54 stexx

stexx

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,229 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:18 PM

this might actually help dipietro, he needs to play some games to see if he can still play at a high level. There is no threat of anyone picking up that albatross of a contract and the isles dont care since it counts against the cap anyway.

#55 fourminute

fourminute

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:23 PM

he'll still be a joke in the minors
Posted Image

#56 WeatherWise

WeatherWise

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,869 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:25 PM

DiPietro was once a tremendous goaltender and an All-Star player with a great future. He had the skills but unfortunately injuries derailed his career. I once admired his ability to play his position and to handle pucks. It's a true shame. I can see how his fragility and contract have undermined whatever prior reputation he had developed with his skill. I remember him being at the height of his game in 2008 and being a fantastic goaltender. He almost scored a goal that season with the opposing net empty, and was one of the more entertaining goaltending personalities in the league. At that time, he had played three consecutive 60+ game seasons and had won 30+ games each of those three years. When the Canucks faced him that year at GM Place, the Canucks were pummelling him with shots and he was stopping most of them. It was a shooting gallery and he was the last line of defense against the much-better Canucks squad. The home team managed to win, but DiPietro had to face 45 shots that game as opposed to 28 for Luongo.

It's truly a shame how injuries have ruined the career of another talented player.

Edited by WeatherWise, 22 February 2013 - 03:38 PM.

The greatest segue into a weather segment.

#57 bloodycanuckleheads

bloodycanuckleheads

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:35 PM

This is the ridiculous contract that MG should have taken note of before signing Luongo to his absurdly large contract, IMO. This is an example of what happens when a player signs a massive deal and quite frankly busts, injuries notwithstanding.

Ha! How ludicrous! DiPietro was signed to his contract after he'd been a starter for all of two whole seasons (and had been terrible prior to that).

Luongo signed his contract after being a starter for 8 straight seasons (and playing highly-consistently throughout).

What the GM's should take note of is that some players stop working hard once they have long-term stability and guaranteed bucketloads of cash (Bryant Reeves anyone), so signing those types of players to long-term contracts is a disaster waiting to happen.
Posted 08 October 2008 - 07:41 PM by BloodyCanuckleheads

I could definitely see Grabner going. He seems to have done his best to play his way out the door (and Gillis seems to be the smartest GM we've ever had, so, put two and two together)...

#58 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,312 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:35 PM

My entire point was that I personally despise long-term contracts, whether they're of the DiPietro variety or the Luongo variety, and especially for a goaltender, considering the higher risk of injury. DiPietro is as one of my good friends put it the "poster child for why NHL contracts should be kept relatively short".

I was just going to post that I think they should give him a contract extension... I guess what you say does make a little more sense.
Posted Image

#59 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,059 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:36 PM

If there is a Lu deal with the Islanders on the table, what are people expecting as a return?

Neiderreiter is obvious, but beyond that? Bailey? Do either make our current lineup?

The guy that really intrigues me for this season is Visnovsky. But we'd have to send a D-man back for that to work.

I'd like to see Brock Nelson as part of a deal - would like to see a center with his skillset who is near NHL ready in our system.
Would also be interested in Cizikas - young depth roster C, left handed for draws - intelligent two way center who can handle defensive zone starts -not a big guy, but plays big.
Pokka - a young smooth two way Finnish right side blueliner (need one to fill the Sami void).

Add a second piece and perhaps take roster RW Okposo - is off to a slow start and is testing their patience, but started very slowly last season and wound up with 24 goals...

Edited by oldnews, 22 February 2013 - 03:38 PM.

#60 allkill326

allkill326

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:41 PM

To NYI:

To Van:
NYI 1st round pick 2013
Niederreiter
Hamonic

Even if we have to play Joe Cannata or Honzik, we're not getting DiPietro.
Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Rumour

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.