The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

**Would you trade Nicklas Jensen?**

carlweezer

There is no help now this core is done all there is, is the future. So trading future pieces for the now is just delaying our potential future success. Our chance of winning a cup in the next 5 years is almost zero. So any trades that aren't designed to make us better 5 years from now is just a waste. This is just my opinion of course but I believe it to be a fairly accurate assessment of the Canucks situation.

NO. People might not be happy about how much time the kid is taking to develop into a NHL ready player but that is the reality of competetive sports- some people take more time than others. The last thing the Canucks should do is trade any of their more valued prospects, even if it takes more time than expected to develop them.

Wow...CDC massively over rates Jensen. Up until his recent goal scoring streak he's been a big disappointment and even after his streak he still only has 18 pts people!!! In 47 AHL games!!

Wow. Check yourself.

Jensen was a top 10 goalscorer in the SEL on a bad team, playing against men as a teenager - numbers comparable to Daniel (without a Henrik centering him). 17 goals in 50 games is outstanding production in that league, let alone for a teenager.

He suffered a pretty serious shoulder injury early this year - very difficult injury to recover from midseason - what he is doing right now is fairly remarkable imo - he's lighting it up of late, and is still only a 20 year old.

Adapting well to the AHL apparently.

Young man has good size and strength, has great speed, is an intelligent hockey player, and he is a sniper. Fits the bill of the Canucks' needs quite well actually.

Impatient grasshoppers around here.

Booth + Jensen is not going to land Kane, Pavelski etc.

On the other hand, are the Canucks looking to move Jensen? Extremely unlikely.

When was the last time this franchise had a young player like him ripping it up like he has in the last month? A healthy Jensen is a 50 goal scorer in the AHL - as a 20 year old. It's been a while since there was one of those in the prospect pool.

Wow. Check yourself.

Jensen was a top 10 goalscorer in the SEL on a bad team, playing against men as a teenager - numbers comparable to Daniel (without a Henrik centering him). 17 goals in 50 games is outstanding production in that league, let alone for a teenager.

He suffered a pretty serious shoulder injury early this year - very difficult injury to recover from midseason - what he is doing right now is fairly remarkable imo - he's lighting it up of late, and is still only a 20 year old.

Young man has good size and strength, has great speed, is an intelligent hockey player, and he is a sniper. Fits the bill of the Canucks' needs quite well actually.

I have a recollection that he has also played both the left and right wings, with comparable success in each. If so, that kind of flexibility is nice to have.

regards,

G.

Booth + Jensen is not going to land Kane, Pavelski etc.

On the other hand, are the Canucks looking to move Jensen? Extremely unlikely.

When was the last time this franchise had a young player like him ripping it up like he has in the last month? A healthy Jensen is a 50 goal scorer in the AHL - as a 20 year old. It's been a while since there was one of those in the prospect pool.

50 would be a bit of a stretch I think. If you take his last 2 months of games he would average about 40....and considering the lack of high end talent on Utica, that would be very impressive.

50 would be a bit of a stretch I think. If you take his last 2 months of games he would average about 40....and considering the lack of high end talent on Utica, that would be very impressive.

Over his past 21 games, he's on a 51 goal pace / 82 games (13 goals in 21 games).

Over the past month, 69 (8 in 11).

http://theahl.com/st...ame.php?id=4534

A 28 goal pace / 82 in the SEL (17 in 50) as a teenager is also a hell of an accomplishment on one of the weaker and lower scoring teams in Sweden.

I have a recollection that he has also played both the left and right wings, with comparable success in each. If so, that kind of flexibility is nice to have.

regards,

G.

Yeah - he's a left handed shot but a natural RW, which puts his strong side closer to the defender / on the inside of the ice, but also means he generally has a better angle for his shots and the one timer does not have to cross his body.

I though he looked exceptionally composed two years ago in the preseason - this past preseason he wasn't healthy - but this is the type of talent imo that you have to wait out - prejudging him a disappointment (as some folks on these boards seem determined to do), could be a huge mistake - one I highly doubt MG would make anyhow.

His size, speed and skillset are not an abundant combination.

He's almost matching his goals/point production from his time in the SEL.

His teammates and linemates have been less than spectactular. He's been on the 4th worst team in the SEL and now he's on the 7th worst team in the AHL.

His production is quite good considering the garbage he's been playing with. Just be patient.

Wow...CDC massively over rates Jensen. Up until his recent goal scoring streak he's been a big disappointment and even after his streak he still only has 18 pts people!!! In 47 AHL games!!

I laughed when I read someone suggesting that he is our best prospect. At the absolute best he's our 4th best prospect behind Horvat, Shink and Corrado and that might even be a stretch.

All that means is he is currently adjusting to the North American game which puts him right on schedule, doesn't make him the best prospect just one that has progressed.

Another step is good for him good for the organization good for the fans.

No. He's has all the tools to be a Marian Hossa type player and the last 2 months he's starting to really produce because he's starting to figure out what it takes to be an effective pro. He's going to be part of fixing the top 6 and the general scoring issues this team has, whether it happens this year or next year is to be determined.

I wouldn't be against giving him 10-12 games in the bigs, but the caveat is he needs a long leash and PP minutes.

Wow. Check yourself.

He's been good for 2 or 3 weeks all season and now all of a sudden he's untradable? He's scored 33 goals (1 every 3.54 games) and 12 assists (1 every 9.75 games) in 117 games (SWE + AHL). Is he even a top 100 NHL prospect? Of course I'd trade him if another team really valued him high.

Sure I'd be thrilled if he translated at the NHL level but you have to look at the whole picture, not just one stat from the SEL and a 2-3 week scoring streak in the AHL.

No. He's has all the tools to be a Marian Hossa type player and the last 2 months he's starting to really produce because he's starting to figure out what it takes to be an effective pro. He's going to be part of fixing the top 6 and the general scoring issues this team has, whether it happens this year or next year is to be determined.

I wouldn't be against giving him 10-12 games in the bigs, but the caveat is he needs a long leash and PP minutes.

Marian Hossa dominated as a junior. He was bigger/stronger/faster, more skilled offensively and better defensively. Thus drafted 12th overall and we all know how successful his NHL career has gone. I just don't see the comparison...let's be realistic folks!

Horvat Jensen Shinkaruk Idk what you are smoking cause he is second top prospect.... how is that not close to the top?

Shink being 2 years younger has shown more in his one training camp than Jensen has in all 3 of his. Corrado was drafted the same year as Jensen and is already knocking on the door, even though dmen are supposed to take longer to develop. But never mind the facts, Jensen's on a 3 week tear OMG!!

A player that wont be a legitimate (if he ever becomes one) difference to the Canucks for another 3-5 years for A proven player that can help the Canucks win NOW???

in other words would you trade potential for actual? the future for the present?

Canucks still need that game changer, who will put us over the hump and bring the Cup home to Vancouver. However to attain this game changer it will take a roster player and our top prospect.

So are you willing to part with David Booth or Raymond + Nicklas Jensen for 1 of these players...other suggestions of players are welcome

Really?

As for the discussion at hand, I would consider adding Jensen in any trade that would return a 25-28 year old impact player; likely as a value add in a Edler trade.

That being said, if Gillis is entertaining the rumors of Kesler + Edler both leaving, then no, I keep Jensen and go with a full on youth movement, anchored by Hamhuis, Bieksa, Garrison, Luongo and the Sedin's to help mitigate the Oiler Effect.

Archived