Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

boxiebrown

[Value Of] Antoine Vermette

16 posts in this topic

I think Antoine Vermette would be a great fit on the Canucks third line. He is exactly the kind of fast, two-way forward that Gillis seems to love. Plus, he is a strong left-handed faceoff guy, who kills penalties. As others have mentioned, even if Phoenix is on the bubble they may still be sellers for financial reasons, and Vermette has one of the biggest contracts on the team.

Last year they picked him up at the deadline for a 2nd, a 5th and an AHL goalie (McIlhenny.) I think if we could get him without giving up a roster player it would be an amazing pickup. Thoughts? What do you think it would take?

And for the record, I really like Schroeder, but at this point Vermette brings everything Schroeder does on offense, while also providing defensive and faceoff value. And this way Schroeder could be a top-6 fill-in in case of injuries.

I think the:

Raymond - Shroeder - Hansen

Lineup has been doing very well, and to be honest I wouldn't really want to mess with it at this point.

This is good for Shroeders development, plus they are a scoring threat most of the time.

Edit: No offense to your idea, I think it's a good one, but Shroeder is much younger and almost the same defensively. Schroeder also has lots of room for improvement.

I think the:

Raymond - Shroeder - Hansen

Lineup has been doing very well, and to be honest I wouldn't really want to mess with it at this point.

This is good for Shroeders development, plus they are a scoring threat most of the time.

Edit: No offense to your idea, I think it's a good one, but Shroeder is much younger and almost the same defensively. Schroeder also has lots of room for improvement.

Not a bad idea. Vermette is consistently a top-10 faceoff guy in the league.

That said, he's a pretty affordable top-6 guy for Phoenix. And they only have about $32M committed to salary next season. Don't know why they'd trade him.

Not a bad idea. Vermette is consistently a top-10 faceoff guy in the league.

That said, he's a pretty affordable top-6 guy for Phoenix. And they only have about $32M committed to salary next season. Don't know why they'd trade him.

Yeah, he's affordable, but on Phoenix 3.75 counts as a big contract, haha.  Plus, they have a lot of RFAs to deal with after this year.  OEL, Rundblad, Schlemko, Boedker and Korpikoski are all RFA, and will probably all get raises.  Plus, Mike Smith is a UFA and if they resign him he'll get a raise too.  Taking care of those 6 guys could put them close to the floor already, and I'm guessing they don't want to go much over the floor.  So I could see them looking to clear a little salary, and Vermette is much more likely than Doan, Hanzal or Yandle.

Good points.

But if they aren't willing to take back salary, it doesn't work on our end either.

I'd like it, but I don't think Phoenix would unless they tank. Looking at their centers and scoring depth, with him gone they're just not very deep. For a team that goes by scoring by committee and team defense he'll be very valuable.

I'd say, when healthy, they look something like this.

Boedker - Hanzal - Vrbata

Sullivan - Vermette - Doan

Korpikoski - Lombardi - Moss

Torres - Chipchura - Gordon

Now, if they take Vermette out they'd be left with either an injury-prone Lombardi, a winger in Moss or a defensive center in Gordon as the #2 guy. With that I don't think they'd give him up. I mean as bad as a franchise gets, they still need to ice something that looks like an NHL roster (even when it's not, and without Antoine they'd be in pretty bad shape).

I always get confused about how the salary cap works at the trade deadline, but according to CapGeek at the deadline we will be able to take back AAV of up to 5.1 million.  That would let us fit Vermette.  Also, Manny is still on the roster as far as I know, but I'm guessing he could be moved to LTIR to free up cap room.

I like Vermette, but don't see the possibility without giving up a roster player - the Canucks can't be moving prospects or futures and taking on cap hit - the only way I see it making sense would be something like Booth (LW where the Canucks have a good deal of depth and Phoenix doesn't) for Vermette and a prospect like Connor Murphy.

I'd like to add Vermette, but unless Phoenix is way out of the playoff race I doubt they'll trade him.

Vermette is a nice player, but he doesn't fit with the Canucks.

Most importantly, Vermette has a 3.75M cap hit for this year and the next two. The Canucks are facing a cap crunch at the conclusion of this season, and will not be able to afford a 3.75M player on the third line.

Additionally, he would displace Schroeder, not just this year but for the next two.

And we already have a surplus of top-9 forwards. Sure, both Schroeder and Vermette could play in the same line-up if one of them moved to the wing. But then who gets displaced?

Vermette would help. But I don't think he's enough of an upgrade over Schroeder to warrant shuffling the lineup. Plus his contract would be difficult to fit in going forward.

Vermette is a nice player, but he doesn't fit with the Canucks.

Most importantly, Vermette has a 3.75M cap hit for this year and the next two. The Canucks are facing a cap crunch at the conclusion of this season, and will not be able to afford a 3.75M player on the third line.

Additionally, he would displace Schroeder, not just this year but for the next two.

And we already have a surplus of top-9 forwards. Sure, both Schroeder and Vermette could play in the same line-up if one of them moved to the wing. But then who gets displaced?

Vermette would help. But I don't think he's enough of an upgrade over Schroeder to warrant shuffling the lineup. Plus his contract would be difficult to fit in going forward.

Well he is the top center in Phoenix, a position they are weak in.

So give them a better 1C

I think Antoine Vermette would be a great fit on the Canucks third line. He is exactly the kind of fast, two-way forward that Gillis seems to love. Plus, he is a strong left-handed faceoff guy, who kills penalties. As others have mentioned, even if Phoenix is on the bubble they may still be sellers for financial reasons, and Vermette has one of the biggest contracts on the team.

Last year they picked him up at the deadline for a 2nd, a 5th and an AHL goalie (McIlhenny.) I think if we could get him without giving up a roster player it would be an amazing pickup. Thoughts? What do you think it would take?

And for the record, I really like Schroeder, but at this point Vermette brings everything Schroeder does on offense, while also providing defensive and faceoff value. And this way Schroeder could be a top-6 fill-in in case of injuries.

His value is high.

He's basically the prototypical Tippett forward. Can play any position, is fast and most importantly is incredibly responsible defensively. He PKs, plays on the PP and can be trusted in the last minutes of play.. not to mention his faceoff ability.

He's 2nd amongst Coyote forward in TOI/G so far this year, he was 5th in the playoffs for them last year (1st TOI/G in terms of centers though) despite being a relatively new addition.

If you look at players who have had extra success under Tippett lately: Matt Lombardi, Martin Hanzal, Eric Belanger, Mike Modano, they all have those attributes, with Modano obviously being exceptional all-around.

I don't see them moving him. He's a huge part of a Tippett system which is one of the only systems that would be successful with a budget like the Yotes.