Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* - - - - 5 votes

Kassian Roster Spot in Serious Jeopardy?

• Please log in to reply
148 replies to this topic

#61 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,870 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:11 PM

Coincidentally, bot the OHL and SEL seasons end in March, essentially at the same time, which would allow Jensen to play AHL till end of season (April 21, 2013), then play NHL.

Jensen's OHL team, the Oshawa Generals, are a lock to make the playoffs.

If there's any truth to the team not even wanting him back, that sounds like a huge warning flag to me. If he's seriously good enough to make an impact at the NHL level, an OHL contender wouldn't pass up the opportunity to add them to their lineup.
Posted Image

#62 ice orca

ice orca

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:14 PM

We'll see how he does in the AHL first but I can't wait to see him on the Nucks. Imagine:

Sedins-Burrows
Booth-Kesler-Jensen
Raymond-Schroeder-Kassian
Higgins-Lappierre-Hansen

Yikes that looks potentially deadly. Kassian on the 3rd would give some much needed size to that line and the 2nd could have the sniper that it so desperately needs. And I mean, look at that 4th line! Yes please! Here's hoping Jensen shines in the minors :towel:

Edit: that D man from around the 2:20 mark in the vid is still looking for his jock strap! Ridonculous!

Hmm 3 shoot first guys on the 2nd line. Can Jensen be a setup guy for Kesler/Booth?

#63 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,111 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:17 PM

Amazingly on his first shift Kassian would have had a breakaway if Kesler knew how to pass. And he still got switched with Weiss. And note it is "Weiss" not "Wise".

are you guys talking about Dale Weise?

#64 AllHailSmyl

AllHailSmyl

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,686 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:24 PM

Amazingly on his first shift Kassian would have had a breakaway if Kesler knew how to pass. And he still got switched with Weiss. And note it is "Weiss" not "Wise".

You just made the signature, congrats!

By the way learn how to spell SHIRIKOV who is this shirakov

#65 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,312 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:25 PM

Why do people here continuously think that just throwing a guy in will automatically work?

As of right now, Jensen is all potential, no development. Meaning he's well behind Kassian in terms of securing a roster spot.

But some here would rather try and throw in Corrado than go with proven vets.

No clue. Just no clue at all.

Its because people want to see what we have in a prospect. There may be a chance (as small as it is) that in Jensen we have a dominant player that can spark something in this team with his energetic youth.

Most people realize there isn't a high probability for Jensen to come in the League this year and dominate, but if he got a 8-10 game taste of the NHL, that is not only part of the developmental process but it helps us as fans see where he is at in his development.

I would agree whole-heartedly with you if I was in anyway concerened the Canucks may not make the playoffs. Since Jensen alone won't derail our ticket to the playoffs I see zero negatives to giving him a few games in the NHL this season.
Posted Image

#66 Mr. White

Mr. White

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:26 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image
^VanCauck93^

#67 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,312 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:27 PM

are you guys talking about Dale Weise?

lol Weese? Wheeze? Whease? Wiese? Weiz? Wize?
Posted Image

#68 thad

thad

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,184 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:41 PM

I was expecting this thread to be a lot stupider than it is.

Hahaha I know, right? I expected another eff you Raymond type thread

#69 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,942 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:55 PM

I'm speaking out of my butt here, but I understand it to be a private (ie: not legally enforceable) agreement between the CHL and the NHL, not the NHL and all junior leagues across the globe. If he doesn't play a game in the CHL, why would he be bound by that agreement? This corroborates what MG was saying. Sounds good to me!

If the NHL expects the KHL to honour their agreement, then the NHL will certainly uphold their end of the CHL agreement. The CHL/NHL agreement applies to any player playing in North America. Since Jensen was playing in Sweden, there wasn't any issues with the CHL, although they might not have appreciated it. If he comes back to NA, Oshawa might have a different perspective if there isn't any wording that would allow the exception since Jensen has played for them previously and they still hold his junior rights.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#70 nucks_rule1

nucks_rule1

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,773 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:59 PM

No, we wont see him up here this year,
Posted Image
my thread!

100th post on September 9th 2008
1000th post on june 24th 2010

THANK YOU MIKE GILLIS FOR GREATEST OFF SEASON EVER!

HANK= H(ART ROSS)

#71 personaltrainer604

personaltrainer604

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:09 PM

I don't see why " you people" want to throw Kassian under the bus so soon. He has played pretty decent this year, stands up for his teammates and adds some good toughness and energy. We as Vancouver Canuck fans are so quick to turn on our prospects and young guns. Who else in the lineup has provided what Kas has? Let the boy play! We need to start intergrating our prospects into our lineup otherwise they won't want to play here.

#72 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,111 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:11 PM

Jensen's OHL team, the Oshawa Generals, are a lock to make the playoffs.

If there's any truth to the team not even wanting him back, that sounds like a huge warning flag to me. If he's seriously good enough to make an impact at the NHL level, an OHL contender wouldn't pass up the opportunity to add them to their lineup.

I personally wouldn't take it as a warning sign if Oshawa is upset that he chose the SEL over the OHL - Jensen no doubt benefits more playing with and against men - if the Generals want to act as though they've been snubbed, s.o.b.eit. Is there more to it?

I read that the Generals felt Biggs has filled in nicely, is a good linemate for Jenner, and made the Jensen loss "negligible" (but I also read that as Toronto media pumping their prospect's tires)...

http://www.torontosu...the-right-track

But elsewhere, pretty much the same content took a different tone:
"If Tyler ends up here, then obviously that will help take the sting away from Nicklas leaving," Twohey said before adding that Jensen would still be welcomed back in Oshawa.

http://www.sportsnet...y_lead_new_era/

#73 Nino

Nino

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,543 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:14 PM

On that same first shift he was two feet from the Dallas player standing and watching him shoot without trying to stop him, so I'd bump him as well. Watch the replay.

#74 thad

thad

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,184 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:15 PM

That video makes me very excited about this kid. Strong on the puck and a pure sniper. Could have the best shot on our team when he makes it

#75 LeanBeef

LeanBeef

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,210 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:21 PM

And he still got switched with Weiss. And note it is "Weiss" not "Wise".

Weise you mean?
Sig too big.
"Being a Canuck fan, maybe sometime down the road be a Vancouver Canuck.... that would conquer all my dreams"
-Milan Lucic

#76 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,308 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:25 PM

I don't see why " you people" want to throw Kassian under the bus so soon. He has played pretty decent this year, stands up for his teammates and adds some good toughness and energy. We as Vancouver Canuck fans are so quick to turn on our prospects and young guns. Who else in the lineup has provided what Kas has? Let the boy play! We need to start intergrating our prospects into our lineup otherwise they won't want to play here.

Slow down there pt....

...the majority of people in this thread were disagreeing with the OP...
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#77 DaMacNamedDre

DaMacNamedDre

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:26 PM

Kassian was decent last night played with some emotion.

I have faith in the kid.

He's gonna be good.

(i ignore the trolls that come here to second guess our players, its a joke, Vancouver is trolled more than any other club and many of the posts here are young idiot fans of other teams here goofing around.)

Edited by DaMacNamedDre, 22 February 2013 - 04:29 PM.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Posted ImageBodee, on 18 April 2012 - 11:07 AM, said:

I haven't been a supporter of the Canucks for long. Mainly because firstly I know nothing about NHL and secondly ESPN America only started showing NHL 3 years ago.

http://forum.canucks.com/topic/328055-whats-wrong-with-me
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

#78 Raffi Torres's Smirk

Raffi Torres's Smirk

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:35 PM

Did someone say Jeopardy?

#79 Karlsson`s Flo

Karlsson`s Flo

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,353 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:58 PM

I can see Canucks calling Jensen up rather having him go back to playing with kids. I think going back to the OHL wouldn't be beneficial as much as being up with the team. Kassian is still an upgrade over Weise and Volpatti so I'd like to see Jensen get a shot to see if he can play with the team.

Also, I believe AV continues to put Kass back on the 4th line because he wants a consistent physical play outta him every shift. AV seems to have recognized that Kass plays best when he's physical and so when Kass stops bringing his game, AV sends back down to the fourth line until Kass figures it out.

Edited by Karlsson`s Flo, 22 February 2013 - 04:59 PM.

#80 Hockey Fever

Hockey Fever

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,808 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 05:03 PM

Reminds me of Naslund, lifts that leg when he releases the wrister.

Edited by Hockey Fever, 22 February 2013 - 05:03 PM.

Posted Image

NHL Wikipedia : Operates Major Ice Hockey League known for predetermining Stanley Cup winners and rampant corrupt officiating

"I would love for (the Canucks) to win the Stanley Cup because that would put to bed all the talk about 1994", he says facetiously".
Nathan Lafayette on hitting the post in game seven of the Stanley Cup.

#81 Super_Canuck

Super_Canuck

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 05:34 PM

package Kassian in a deal for O'reilly?

essentially, we will have obtained O'reilly for Hodgson, pretty good I'd say

#82 Booth's Snapback

Booth's Snapback

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 05:49 PM

I was expecting this thread to be a lot stupider than it is.
Granted, I still can't see Kassian losing his spot, even if Jensen does come over.

"Stupider" than thinking stupider is an actual word?

Posted Image

#83 SamJamIam

SamJamIam

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,771 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 05:59 PM

I call Kass goal and assist tonight. Just to shut OP up.

#84 StopesisCanucks

StopesisCanucks

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 06:00 PM

If Jensen came up it wouldn't be Kass going down it would wiese or volpatti.

#85 ashbury

ashbury

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 06:11 PM

Ahhhh you people drive me crazy with all this put Jensen in the line up now stuff.

Jensen won't see a game as a Canuck this season and it would a mistake if he did. He may play in the NHL next year or maybe not.

#86 Karlsson`s Flo

Karlsson`s Flo

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,353 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 06:24 PM

package Kassian in a deal for O'reilly?

essentially, we will have obtained O'reilly for Hodgson, pretty good I'd say

No.

#87 Provost

Provost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,805 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 06:28 PM

My thoughts are Jensen cannot play for us this year, he chose to go to Sweden to play in a mens league, or he would have been qssigned to Oshawa.

Kassians spot is only in jeopardy if and when Lou gets traded depending on what we get in return.

OK... I keep reading this, it is not true.

Once his current Swedish team's season is done he is eligible to play in the AHL or NHL.... he doesn't have to return to his old junior team.

At the beginning of the year, he would have had to go to juniors and was not eligible for the AHL. That is no longer the case.

As a matter of fact, the Canucks just refused his Swedish team's plan to trade his rights away to another Elite league team who was making the playoffs. As per MG's own words, he wanted Jensen in Chicago as soon as possible for his development. He also said that he could easily foresee a situation with Jensen getting playing time on the Canucks this year.
(the discussion is somewhere in this interview from today http://www.teamradio...-on-team1040-5/ )

As for swapping him out for Kassian, that is a different story. They bring entirely different things to the table... Kassian has a skillset that doesn't otherwise exist on our team. Jensen would be brought in as secondary scoring in place of a guy like Raymond/Higgins/Booth/etc if they were sucking or injured.

Once we finally trade Luongo to Florida and get Bjugstad as part of the return I will be very happy to see a future top line of Jensen-Bjugstad-Kassian in 5 years time :)

Edited by Provost, 22 February 2013 - 06:35 PM.

Protons have mass? I didn't even know they were Catholic!

#88 BuretoMogilny

BuretoMogilny

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 06:43 PM

Jensen will not take Kassian's spot on an AV team.

1. Kassian is developing and needs to just focus on his defensive game and consistency. Common issue amongst young players. He has however, shown an improvement already this year so he just needs to continue, its a process folks. He wasn't going to hit/fight and power like Cam Neely this year, but he sure is showing the tools...so be patient.

2. He should be playing on the third. With Schroeder and Mayray as he is tonight, he and Schroeds have chemistry. He can provide the size for that line, and Mayray and Schroeds are both defensively responsible.

3. Jensen has not played a minute in the AHL or NHL and people are saying Kassian's spot is in jeapordy ---> lol is all i can say..absurd, shows the level of hockey ignorance on this board. Before he even gets a chance in the NHL he's (Jensen) going to have to prove in 30 games in the AHL he can play both ways (at a minimum).

4. Kassian is fine, Jensen will be fine. Kesler and the Sedins started on the 3rd line and played there for 3-4 years. So why is Kassian a bust? Lol. Just like the Sedins were 'sisters ' right? or Kesler wasn't worth 1.75$ million that the nucks matched on Phi's offer sheet right?

5. Perhaps he's seeing 4th line time to work on using his size and defensive play so that when the playoffs start he will bring that to the table. Moreover, many on this board don't realize AV moves guys up and down based on what he thinks the team needs for that game. Its called getting his team to buy into a system. Everyone has a role on any given night and people here are still whining bec Cody is gone and getting pity points playing with the leagues top scorer (yet a negative in the plus minus!) and Kass is being 'developed' properly.

6. People on here think they know more than AV and MG, guess what, you don't

Edited by BuretoMogilny, 22 February 2013 - 07:30 PM.

#89 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,024 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 06:57 PM

Wow the first five games everyone was riding Kassian d--- now you all hating on him?

Damn no wonder Lu never moved his family here and secretly wants be traded back to the US. Band wagon jumpers.

I hate Lu, he can't win in big games, he flops too much blah blah, now its, I'm gonna miss Lu, pleased dont trade him, Cory sucks. Vancouver has to have one if the worst bandwagon jumping fans in any sport.

Kassian is young and I told you guys just being in the Sedin line will inflate his points. Watch him be united with the Sedins again in future and rack up points. Everyone be waiving the Kassian flag again lol

I been saying for quite some time now, there isn't another fanbase that turns on it's own players faster than Canuck fans.
Posted Image

#90 The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:14 PM

Kassian has been really bad so far tonight.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.