37 replies to this topic

#1 Oregon Canucky

Oregon Canucky

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 02:20 PM

Okay this is a bit of a rant, but you guys cant tell me im 1/2 a degree off with my sheer pissed-off-ness.

Its sort of a long story and i dont want to bog you down with tons of details (unless you dont get the point without them).

Im a married guy. Both My wife and I are GAMERS.
We own TWO gaming computers. (this would be like owning two playstations)
Because there is no way for us both to sign into the same account at the same time, or assign one game code to two accounts, My home can NOT SHARE OUR VIDEO GAME LIBRARY.

It pisses me off soooo much, especially because i didnt DL games from steam. I have STORE PURCHASED hard copies of games.

I cant play fallout NV on my comp while my wife plays D&D daggerdale on hers.

Imagine having two playstations. now imagine you're not allowed to play a game in the living room if your wife is playing a different game in the bedroom.

This should be illegal!
*pulls our hair*

Edited by Oregon Canucky, 22 February 2013 - 02:22 PM.

Posted Image

Portland Oregon: The first U.S. city to play for the Stanley Cup!

#2 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,270 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 02:24 PM

It doesn't cost anything to have a Steam account - why not just set her own one?

That's what my son and I do.

McCoy: We were speculating. Is God really out there?
Kirk: Maybe he's not out there, Bones. Maybe he's right here. [points to his heart]

Posted Image

#3 Oregon Canucky

Oregon Canucky

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 02:26 PM

It doesn't cost anything to have a Steam account - why not just set her own one?

That's what my son and I do.

Because once you have three or four games you have to start picking and chosing what goes where. If i have three games on one and three games on the other, were still only allowed access to half our games at one time.

Not to mention that achievements are then shared. >.<

What if i want to play dagger dale but i cant because shes playing something else she downloaded?

Edited by Oregon Canucky, 22 February 2013 - 02:27 PM.

Posted Image

#4 canucklax

canucklax

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,878 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 02:27 PM

Have you contacted them explaining the situation?

6xFRVi3.png

Credit to bananamash for the sig. Credit to torts for being stubborn

Bring Back the Totems!
NHLSL Winnipeg Jets

#5 Oregon Canucky

Oregon Canucky

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 02:31 PM

Have you contacted them explaining the situation?

Ohhhh yeah... many times.

I have two disks in my hand... we cant both play them. *infuriated*
They would probably give me my money back, but then i dont get to play at all.

It just seems wrong.
Posted Image

#6 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 17,270 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 02:33 PM

Because once you have three or four games you have to start picking and chosing what goes where. If i have three games on one and three games on the other, were still only allowed access to half our games at one time.

Not to mention that achievements are then shared. >.<

What if i want to play dagger dale but i cant because shes playing something else she downloaded?

So...what are you saying - that your wife isn't paying for her own games?
Technically, that's piracy.
My son has his own copies of DOW2.
He has some games that I don't have - but I don't play them.

Kirk: Maybe he's not out there, Bones. Maybe he's right here. [points to his heart]

Posted Image

#7 canucklax

canucklax

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,878 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 02:36 PM

Ohhhh yeah... many times.

I have two disks in my hand... we cant both play them. *infuriated*
They would probably give me my money back, but then i dont get to play at all.

It just seems wrong.

Wow I'm not sure what to say, I imagine this occurs with more couples than just yourself.

Doesn't marriage entail the sharing of property?

6xFRVi3.png

Credit to bananamash for the sig. Credit to torts for being stubborn

Bring Back the Totems!
NHLSL Winnipeg Jets

#8 Oregon Canucky

Oregon Canucky

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 02:36 PM

absolutely is NOT piracy.
We are a married couple. Legally the same person.
Im pretty sure shes allowed to read my books, listen to my music and play my video games. :rolleyes:

and that is the whole problem!

Ive bought two copies of games for PC before... because we wanted to play them TOGETHER at the SAME TIME.
(just like we would have to if we both wanted to play the same game on two playstations AT THE SAME TIME)

Edited by Oregon Canucky, 22 February 2013 - 02:42 PM.

Posted Image

#9 woot

woot

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 02:38 PM

You can set Steam to offline mode on one computer. I know it's not the best solution, but it works. You can see why
Steam does it - otherwise there'd be dozens of communal accounts floating around everywhere.

#10 Oregon Canucky

Oregon Canucky

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 02:46 PM

You can set Steam to offline mode on one computer. I know it's not the best solution, but it works. You can see why
Steam does it - otherwise there'd be dozens of communal accounts floating around everywhere.

Proof of marriage or shared last names would be a good place to start. Or allow one code on two accounts for a few extra dollars, Or allow two people to sign in at the same time.

I dont care about other people and shared accounts and blah blah blah. I care that I PURCHASED A PRODUCT that has LIMITATIONS OF USE.

see i go and get so pissed about it... *rawrs*

I wish i could find hard copies without them being tied up to steam. that would be so sweet.

Edit: It would be pretty easy to share with you... lets swap our sign ins for a week... my point is ,theyre not preventing anything... theyre just ticking me off!

Edited by Oregon Canucky, 22 February 2013 - 02:54 PM.

Posted Image

#11 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 17,270 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 02:49 PM

absolutely is NOT piracy.
We are a married couple. Legally the same person.
Im pretty sure shes allowed to read my books, listen to my music and play my video games. :rolleyes:

and that is the whole problem!

Ive bought two copies of games for PC before... because we wanted to play them TOGETHER at the SAME TIME.
(just like we would have to if we both wanted to play the same game on two playstations AT THE SAME TIME)

No - as far as software goes - you're not the same person - that is - she can't play with your copy of software on her PC.

So again, she needs to have her own account and own licenses for games if she is to play the same games as you at the same time.

Read the License agreement.

Posted Image

#12 ChenWei91

ChenWei91

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,400 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 02:57 PM

Posted Image

(>'-')>Posted Image<('-'<)

#13 Oregon Canucky

Oregon Canucky

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 02:59 PM

No - as far as software goes - you're not the same person - that is - she can't play with your copy of software on her PC.

So again, she needs to have her own account and own licenses for games if she is to play the same games as you at the same time.

Read the License agreement.

Your wrong buddy im sorry. Anything I OWN my wife OWNS. no exeptions.

Trust me, she could take half of my videogames in a divorce... and i dont think the judge would care whos sign in its under. This is part of my argument.... i have PHYSICAL copies of these games.

Edited by Oregon Canucky, 22 February 2013 - 03:03 PM.

Posted Image

#14 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 17,270 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:04 PM

Your wrong buddy im sorry. Anything I OWN my wife OWNS. no exeptions.

Trust me, she could take half of my videogames in a divorce... and i dont think the judge would care whos sign in its under.

No, you're wrong.

Yes, in a divorce she can take "half" or more of what you own - but the software license for commercial games in particular - are single use only.

Your wife can sign on to your account and play your games - she just can't play them at the same time.
Just like if you get divorced, if she takes DOW2 from you, you no longer have the right to play it unless you buy your own copy.

Here's part of the Steam agreement:

"You are entitled to use the Software for your own personal use, but you are not entitled to: (i) sell, grant a security interest in or transfer reproductions of the Software to other parties in any way, nor to rent, lease or license the Software to others without the prior written consent of Valve, except to the extent expressly permitted elsewhere in this Agreement (including any Subscription Terms or Rules of Use); (ii) host or provide matchmaking services for the Software or emulate or redirect the communication protocols used by Valve in any network feature of the Software, through protocol emulation, tunneling, modifying or adding components to the Software, use of a utility program or any other techniques now known or hereafter developed, for any purpose including, but not limited to network play over the Internet, network play utilizing commercial or non-commercial gaming networks or as part of content aggregation networks, websites or services, without the prior written consent of Valve; or (iii) exploit the Software or any of its parts for any commercial purpose."

Read the first sentence - your personal use. Not your son's, not your friend's, not your spouse. Yours and yours alone.

Posted Image

#15 hudson bay rules

hudson bay rules

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:06 PM

Have had my own problem with steam from multiple unnecessary downloads to add on's not working properly.

Quite annoying.
I love rock and roll, just put another dime in the juice box baby.

#16 Oregon Canucky

Oregon Canucky

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:08 PM

No, you're wrong.

Yes, in a divorce she can take "half" or more of what you own - but the software license for commercial games in particular - are single use only.

Your wife can sign on to your account and play your games - she just can't play them at the same time.
Just like if you get divorced, if she takes DOW2 from you, you no longer have the right to play it unless you buy your own copy.

Here's part of the Steam agreement:

"You are entitled to use the Software for your own personal use, but you are not entitled to: (i) sell, grant a security interest in or transfer reproductions of the Software to other parties in any way, nor to rent, lease or license the Software to others without the prior written consent of Valve, except to the extent expressly permitted elsewhere in this Agreement (including any Subscription Terms or Rules of Use); (ii) host or provide matchmaking services for the Software or emulate or redirect the communication protocols used by Valve in any network feature of the Software, through protocol emulation, tunneling, modifying or adding components to the Software, use of a utility program or any other techniques now known or hereafter developed, for any purpose including, but not limited to network play over the Internet, network play utilizing commercial or non-commercial gaming networks or as part of content aggregation networks, websites or services, without the prior written consent of Valve; or (iii) exploit the Software or any of its parts for any commercial purpose."

Read the first sentence - your personal use. Not your son's, not your friend's, not your spouse. Yours and yours alone.

Thats not actually what its saying though. it is saying i can not make money off of it or reproduce it. That is what the sentence is saying.
And by law me and my wife are infact the same person.

secondly you can not read this EULA BEFORE you purchase the hard copy of the game. that is why i know i can get my money back... but id rather just play my damn games.

If your wife divorced you and took your house... youd have to buy a new one. that doesnt mean you cant live their while youre married... <.< Again, im not trying to play the same game at the same time on two systems. Im trying to play two different games at the same time on two systems.

Edited by Oregon Canucky, 22 February 2013 - 03:14 PM.

Posted Image

#17 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 17,270 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:15 PM

Thats not actually what its saying though. it is saying i can not make money off of it or reproduce it. That is what the sentence is saying.
And by law me and my wife are infact the same person.

secondly you can not read this EULA BEFORE you purchase the hard copy of the game. that is why i know i can get my money back... but id rather just play my damn games.

No - by law you and your wife are not the same person.

She has her own drivers license, her own medical card, her own Social Insurance Card, and birth certificate.

She is NOT you.

Start over.

What exactly are you trying to do?

Sounds like you and her want to play the same game at the same time.
If that's the case, whether a Steam game or say another company (like id Software), then you each need to have your own licensed copy.

There's no if and or buts about it.

That's how software licensing works.

Same with say MS Word.
You can't have 1 copy on 2 computers.

If you own 2 retail versions of a game - fine - register one under your account and one under hers.

Posted Image

#18 Oregon Canucky

Oregon Canucky

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:20 PM

She is me when it comes to debt and ownership.
However i do understand the point you are trying to make.
If i purchase a game, what am i purchasing exactly?

In your opinion it is the right to play the game. I suppose that makes sense in many ways. I should be able to play that game whenever i want because i purchased it right? I technically own two gaming computers... (whats hers is mine) so ... i want to play two games at once (leave the wife out of this). I should be able to load up one game that i own on one computer and play it to my hearts content... as well as run over to my second computer and play another game (different game) at the same time.

if im so inclined to try to play two games at once... i should legally be allowed... i have two computers and two games.

also, most software is for use on up to THREE computers owned by the purchaser.

Edited by Oregon Canucky, 22 February 2013 - 03:21 PM.

Posted Image

#19 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 17,270 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:36 PM

She is me when it comes to debt and ownership.
However i do understand the point you are trying to make.
If i purchase a game, what am i purchasing exactly?

In your opinion it is the right to play the game. I suppose that makes sense in many ways. I should be able to play that game whenever i want because i purchased it right? I technically own two gaming computers... (whats hers is mine) so ... i want to play two games at once (leave the wife out of this). I should be able to load up one game that i own on one computer and play it to my hearts content... as well as run over to my second computer and play another game (different game) at the same time.

if im so inclined to try to play two games at once... i should legally be allowed... i have two computers and two games.

also, most software is for use on up to THREE computers owned by the purchaser.

Just a quick about me: I've been in IT since 1989 and into computer games ever since Pong came out.

That is correct - you don't own the software - you own a right to use.

Some software, allows you to put it on multiple machines, but can't be used concurrently.
Some software, can only be installed on a single machine (when you activate the software it generates a key based on machine id) - this kind I hate as when you upgrade your computer it's a hassle with some companies to transfer your license.
Some software does come in "license packs" - run concurrently on 3, or 5, or 10 or how many you want to buy computers at the same time.

Yes, you should be able to play 2 different computer games on 2 different computers as long as you have a license for it.

Now, as far as Steam games, their stance to fight software piracy is each game that they sell a license to you for is tied to a Steam account.
What does that mean? That means even though you have Steam installed on 2 computers, you can only use Steam with 1 account, that is, you can't be signed in to Steam with the same account at the same time. That prevents people from "sharing" games with their friends, etc...

So, the only way you can play say Dawn Of War 2 on both your computers at the same time is to have 2 Steam accounts and 2 licences for DOW2.

Sorry..I'm not trying to sound harsh if it does...I'm just trying to explain it as best as I can.

Posted Image

#20 Oregon Canucky

Oregon Canucky

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:48 PM

gah!

i understand needing two copies to play the same game at the same time...

i understand what steam is doing about only letting the code go on one sign in...

i understand!

My argument is this. Please listen closely and understand that I am an upstanding adult that is NOT INTERESTED in piracy or screwing the system;

Lets leave my wife out of this... imagine its just me...

I go and buy two games at the store. they are "Fall Out" annd "D&D"

I come home with the disks and i instal them on my computer.
I tie them up to a steam account (that i was FORCED to make) Because there is no option to play without steam's "service".

Now i have two games on one account. no sweat.

I have two computers. I should be able to play D&D on one and fallout on the other. Even at the same time if i want because both products are registered to me and both discs were purchased by me.

I should be able to run back and forth from comp to comp and play these games at the same time because i purchased the right to play them. If i want to pause one and play the other that should be my right.

start with that and lets see if we agree with that much.

EDIT:

It looks like, you do agree that two games should be playable at the same time as long as they arent the same game. But you also seem okay with steam saying that we cant.

If you buy a game for your home console. Your kiddos are legally allowed to play it.
If you buy ten games for your console, then you buy 10 consoles, your friends can legally play each of those games on ten tvs in your house...

I assumed i was purchasing certian rights (as set by the current standard in gaming) but steam doesnt care about assumed rights to a purchased product. That is the part that is wrong... and i dont have other options.

Edited by Oregon Canucky, 22 February 2013 - 04:08 PM.

Posted Image

#21 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 17,270 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:02 PM

gah!

i understand needing two copies to play the same game at the same time...

i understand what steam is doing about only letting the code go on one sign in...

i understand!

My argument is this. Please listen closely and understand that I am an upstanding adult that is NOT INTERESTED in piracy or screwing the system;

Lets leave my wife out of this... imagine its just me...

I go and buy two games at the store. they are "Fall Out" annd "D&D"

I come home with the disks and i instal them on my computer.
I tie them up to a steam account (that i was FORCED to make) Because there is no option to play without steam's "service".

Now i have two games on one account. no sweat.

I have two computers. I should be able to play D&D on one and fallout on the other. Even at the same time if i want because both products are registered to me and both discs were purchased by me.

I should be able to run back and forth from comp to comp and play these games at the same time because i purchased the right to play them. If i want to pause one and play the other that should be my right.

start with that and lets see if we agree with that much.

I understand what you want to do but you can't with "Steam Powered" games.
Steam requires an account to be tied to each license.
You can not be signed into Steam more than once at the same time.

The only way you can play D&D on one computer and Fallout on another at the same time is to have 2 Steam accounts and one game registered against 1 account, and 1 game registered against the other account.

Edit: BTW, how is Fallout?

Edited by Heretic, 22 February 2013 - 04:03 PM.

Posted Image

#22 Oregon Canucky

Oregon Canucky

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:10 PM

I understand what you want to do but you can't with "Steam Powered" games.
Steam requires an account to be tied to each license.
You can not be signed into Steam more than once at the same time.

The only way you can play D&D on one computer and Fallout on another at the same time is to have 2 Steam accounts and one game registered against 1 account, and 1 game registered against the other account.

Edit: BTW, how is Fallout?

exactly! excatly why im screaming! haha.

and fallout is awesome. especially at ultra w/ 1080 output! <3<3<3

Edited by Oregon Canucky, 22 February 2013 - 04:11 PM.

Posted Image

#23 Oregon Canucky

Oregon Canucky

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:21 PM

Steam has lost me as a customer because to them: married couples might as well be pirates. =(
For now, weve learned our lesson. D&D on one account and Fall Out on the other... but i wont buy another steam game as long as I live because id have to make another steam account (in my opinion).

If i made an account for each game i bought, i could just name the accounts after the name of the game on that account. all of my accounts could all have the same password (have to clog up the world with a bunch of crapy gmail accounts though)... then i can can play one on my desktop while my wife plays the second desktop and my kid can play the laptop too!

Heck then ill even have one game per sign in so i could loan it to my friends if i felt like breaking rules (i dont).

Its just not right, and there isnt a darn thing i can do about it except make sure that couples know that steam games are a waste of their legal union. ha!

Edited by Oregon Canucky, 22 February 2013 - 04:24 PM.

Posted Image

#24 sakage.shinga

sakage.shinga

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:56 PM

lol it took me forever to figure out what exactly it was the OP was trying to do...

So you bought physical copies of two different games, installed & tied them to a single Steam account, but you want to be able to play both of them at the same time (under the same account) but on different machines (again, under the same Steam account).

Unfortunately I don't think you'll ever be able to do that. As far as Steam is concerned, your two PCs need to have two separate Steam accounts. It doesn't care that you're married and that you consider your wife & yourself the same person; as far as Steam is concerned, you & your wife are two separate entities who cannot share games.

I know it sucks, especially when you bought physical copies of the two games.
Posted Image

#25 Rey

Rey

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 05:10 AM

This isn't even Steam's fault. It's your own fault for putting 2 of the same game on an account and not understanding how to use steam. Who the hell buys disk anyways? They're probably more expensive. Just wait for the steam sale, and you can probably buy both D n D and Fall out for around 5 bucks.

You only need 2 accounts. One for your wife and one for yourself. You don't need to continue making steam accounts, the only thing you need, if you buy disk is the serial code. You can keep the code, and throw away everything else and you'll still be able to play it. Go to the Games tab on the top, and click "Activate a product" and you're done. How hard is that? Don't even bother with the disk, you shouldn't need it.

Edited by Rey, 23 February 2013 - 05:25 AM.

#26 sakage.shinga

sakage.shinga

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:50 AM

This isn't even Steam's fault. It's your own fault for putting 2 of the same game on an account and not understanding how to use steam. Who the hell buys disk anyways? They're probably more expensive. Just wait for the steam sale, and you can probably buy both D n D and Fall out for around 5 bucks.

You only need 2 accounts. One for your wife and one for yourself. You don't need to continue making steam accounts, the only thing you need, if you buy disk is the serial code. You can keep the code, and throw away everything else and you'll still be able to play it. Go to the Games tab on the top, and click "Activate a product" and you're done. How hard is that? Don't even bother with the disk, you shouldn't need it.

It's really not anyone's fault, but if you must point a finger, it's sort of Steam's. The OP, assuming I understood him correctly, isn't trying to put two of the "same" game on the same account, he's actually installing two "different" games on the same account.

E.g. Game A & Game B under Steam account C. He wants to be able to play Game A under account C while playing Game B (under account C) on another computer.

The only reason he doesn't just put the two games under separate accounts is because he and his wife have overlaps in the games that they like to play. The chances of them having two different games tied to the same account is high even if they were to divide all of their games onto two different accounts (essentially, they'd basically need a different account for EVERY GAME THAT THEY BUY)
Posted Image

#27 :D

:D

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,076 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:49 AM

POPULAR

Thread starter has a gamer-wife, making all of his complaints irrelevent.

You're already too far ahead of the rest of us scumbags for us to feel bad about your problems.

#28 Argon

Argon

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 06:02 PM

steam is the devils spawn
Posted Image

Yo Yo you cant see me anyway what i dont need to writing skills to act cool i got froobacks and steel chains to act cool i lead the new school. Iam untochable this wont be a fight ill walk away with your mic and make you suck your own tailpipe

#29 Jai604

Jai604

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,039 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 09:46 PM

LOL, this thread made me laugh so hard.

This is not Steam's fault, you need to read. Obviously when you install all your games ONTO ONE ACCOUNT, what in the hell did you expect?

Steam accounts are free to create, it's your own damn fault for being stupid and putting them all on one account when clearly there is more than one person playing those games. Since you two are a married couple, why wouldn't you just have more than one account and then share the info?

You do realize that the only way they can make sure people are playing games they've paid for is to have the games tied to an authenticated account. I'm not sure why that's hard to understand. Knowing this, it's pretty obvious that you shouldn't put games that two people would want to play at the same time on the same bloody account. Imagine the insanity if you could have multiple people logging into one account and sharing the games? I mean, have you even thought about how ridiculous that sounds?

The fact that you're complaining about shared achievements just makes me laugh. Of course the achievements will be shared, the bloody games are on a single account.

If you've had this problem for a while and continued putting games on one steam account, all I can do is laugh.

Lesson learned.

*edit*

Plus, if you would just think for a sec, you do realize that you can play in "offline mode" essentially nullifying the need to authenticate. If you're playing games like Fallout that do not need to be played on online servers or need online support, just play offline.

And why would you bother buying physical copies of games anymore? That's the beauty of steam: no need for stupid discs lying around everywhere.

Edited by Jai604, 01 March 2013 - 09:49 PM.

RIP LB RR PD

#30 Oregon Canucky

Oregon Canucky

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 04:14 PM

okay i hadnt been back to this for a while, but i see some responses that still make me face palm...

You guys... I dont understand what you dont understand... its like talking to customer service.

I had never used steam before... had no idea what it was
I went to a store and bought 2 different games.
I came home and handed one to my wife and installed one myself.
I made a steam account and registered my game to my "name"
Wife asks if she should just put her (different game) on my account i just made...
I said sure, because i was under the impression that i was REGISTERING a game that you just play offline (like everything else ive encountered, except MMOs)
Suddenly I realize the mistake when we both cant play our own games at the same time...
I call steam and have HER game put on her account and keep mine on mine...
There... problem solved right?
NO...

IF i were to go buy ANOTHER steam game (dont worry i never will) Whos account should i put it on...?

If i put it on hers.... She cant play her old game if im playing the new one...
If i put it on my account, she cant play it if i want to play my old game...

SOOOOOO to save myself the decision of what fricking game goes where... i wont buy anymore steam games...

THAT will solve my problem.

I keep hearing mentions of OFFLINE mode and i could go look into it more, but if i were to say...
Start up "Game A" then go to Offline mode to play
can my wife go launch "Game B" (on my account) on her computer?

Lastly you guys that are just like "Well thats the way it is, deal with it"
Really kinda tick me off... No one should have that mentality. I understand the "Life isnt fair" mantra
but i dont understand why consumers should just accept being tea bagged because some pirate somewhere
stole money from Developers (new sim city comes to mind)...

Im not saying everyone should be able to log into the same account at the same time.. because YES obviously that does sound stupid. but if you had actually read my suggestions before shooting me down as an idiot (that needed to read (irony)) I gave examples of EASY ways to be inclusive of multiple gamer homes... ACCOUNT LINKING.

I dont see any problem with linking accounts of VERIFIED individuals. you can say OHH THATS SO EXPENSIVE FOR THEM WAH WAH WAH. Really? does it cost them 50 bucks to look at a faxed marriage license and link two accounts? Cause it sure as hell will cost me an extra fifty bucks to buy the game twice. >.< Maybe they can use all the money they saved (by not having to make packaging) to pay someone to link authentic accounts... lord knows they dont pass their savings onto you otherwise.

And yes i still buy games at the store. Theyre the same price and I can run to my corner store, by a disc, (with cash if i want) drive home AND get it installed faster than downloading it (proven by experiment with diablo 3)

Im just pointing a flaw with a a system that you all happily accept because you are not faced with the same situation. Never the less i know you all remember the days of playing a console game with your friends. You plugged in a couple remotes and you and your buddy played the day away. Now, More and more (solely in regard to console gaming), you can only do that with two copies of the game... and in two seperate houses. You really shouldnt be okay with the way the videogame industry is developing. its a multi BILLION dollar a year empire that just keeps wanting more. =(

Theyve lost my money and i could have been a paying customer (12 video game systems and a 100-300 dollar a month gaming budget). Ooopsies on you.

im totally just going to buy another playstation, set one up on my wife's desk and one on mine... hook them up to our HD 29 inch monitors and happily pass disks back and forth all day. OH OH, we could plug TWO controllers into the SAME PS3 and play a game TOGETHER (someone call the software pirate police)! wouldnt that be neat!?

You guys arent gonna think this is funny when you have teenage kids who want to play everything you play
but youll have to buy 4 copies of the same game so you, your wife and your two kids can all play games in your home... yay 200 dollar games (50x4)

wow... im old and jaded. HA!

Edited by Oregon Canucky, 07 March 2013 - 05:24 PM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.