The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Need to scream about STEAM

Oregon Canucky

Okay this is a bit of a rant, but you guys cant tell me im 1/2 a degree off with my sheer pissed-off-ness.

Its sort of a long story and i dont want to bog you down with tons of details (unless you dont get the point without them).

Im a married guy. Both My wife and I are GAMERS.

We own TWO gaming computers. (this would be like owning two playstations)

Because there is no way for us both to sign into the same account at the same time, or assign one game code to two accounts, My home can NOT SHARE OUR VIDEO GAME LIBRARY.

It pisses me off soooo much, especially because i didnt DL games from steam. I have STORE PURCHASED hard copies of games.

I cant play fallout NV on my comp while my wife plays D&D daggerdale on hers.

Imagine having two playstations. now imagine you're not allowed to play a game in the living room if your wife is playing a different game in the bedroom.

This should be illegal!

*pulls our hair*

Because once you have three or four games you have to start picking and chosing what goes where. If i have three games on one and three games on the other, were still only allowed access to half our games at one time.

Not to mention that achievements are then shared. >.<

What if i want to play dagger dale but i cant because shes playing something else she downloaded?

absolutely is NOT piracy.

We are a married couple. Legally the same person.

Im pretty sure shes allowed to read my books, listen to my music and play my video games. :rolleyes:

and that is the whole problem!

Ive bought two copies of games for PC before... because we wanted to play them TOGETHER at the SAME TIME.

(just like we would have to if we both wanted to play the same game on two playstations AT THE SAME TIME)

No - as far as software goes - you're not the same person - that is - she can't play with your copy of software on her PC.

So again, she needs to have her own account and own licenses for games if she is to play the same games as you at the same time.

Read the License agreement.

No, you're wrong.

Yes, in a divorce she can take "half" or more of what you own - but the software license for commercial games in particular - are single use only.

Your wife can sign on to your account and play your games - she just can't play them at the same time.

Just like if you get divorced, if she takes DOW2 from you, you no longer have the right to play it unless you buy your own copy.

Here's part of the Steam agreement:

"You are entitled to use the Software for your own personal use, but you are not entitled to: (i) sell, grant a security interest in or transfer reproductions of the Software to other parties in any way, nor to rent, lease or license the Software to others without the prior written consent of Valve, except to the extent expressly permitted elsewhere in this Agreement (including any Subscription Terms or Rules of Use); (ii) host or provide matchmaking services for the Software or emulate or redirect the communication protocols used by Valve in any network feature of the Software, through protocol emulation, tunneling, modifying or adding components to the Software, use of a utility program or any other techniques now known or hereafter developed, for any purpose including, but not limited to network play over the Internet, network play utilizing commercial or non-commercial gaming networks or as part of content aggregation networks, websites or services, without the prior written consent of Valve; or (iii) exploit the Software or any of its parts for any commercial purpose."

Read the first sentence - your personal use. Not your son's, not your friend's, not your spouse. Yours and yours alone.

Thats not actually what its saying though. it is saying i can not make money off of it or reproduce it. That is what the sentence is saying.

And by law me and my wife are infact the same person.

secondly you can not read this EULA BEFORE you purchase the hard copy of the game. that is why i know i can get my money back... but id rather just play my damn games.

She is me when it comes to debt and ownership.

However i do understand the point you are trying to make.

If i purchase a game, what am i purchasing exactly?

In your opinion it is the right to play the game. I suppose that makes sense in many ways. I should be able to play that game whenever i want because i purchased it right? I technically own two gaming computers... (whats hers is mine) so ... i want to play two games at once (leave the wife out of this). I should be able to load up one game that i own on one computer and play it to my hearts content... as well as run over to my second computer and play another game (different game) at the same time.

if im so inclined to try to play two games at once... i should legally be allowed... i have two computers and two games.

also, most software is for use on up to THREE computers owned by the purchaser.

She is me when it comes to debt and ownership.

However i do understand the point you are trying to make.

If i purchase a game, what am i purchasing exactly?

In your opinion it is the right to play the game. I suppose that makes sense in many ways. I should be able to play that game whenever i want because i purchased it right? I technically own two gaming computers... (whats hers is mine) so ... i want to play two games at once (leave the wife out of this). I should be able to load up one game that i own on one computer and play it to my hearts content... as well as run over to my second computer and play another game (different game) at the same time.

if im so inclined to try to play two games at once... i should legally be allowed... i have two computers and two games.

also, most software is for use on up to THREE computers owned by the purchaser.

gah!

i understand needing two copies to play the same game at the same time...

i understand what steam is doing about only letting the code go on one sign in...

i understand!

My argument is this. Please listen closely and understand that I am an upstanding adult that is NOT INTERESTED in piracy or screwing the system;

Lets leave my wife out of this... imagine its just me...

I go and buy two games at the store. they are "Fall Out" annd "D&D"

I come home with the disks and i instal them on my computer.

I tie them up to a steam account (that i was FORCED to make) Because there is no option to play without steam's "service".

Now i have two games on one account. no sweat.

I have two computers. I should be able to play D&D on one and fallout on the other. Even at the same time if i want because both products are registered to me and both discs were purchased by me.

I should be able to run back and forth from comp to comp and play these games at the same time because i purchased the right to play them. If i want to pause one and play the other that should be my right.

start with that and lets see if we agree with that much.

EDIT:

It looks like, you do agree that two games should be playable at the same time as long as they arent the same game. But you also seem okay with steam saying that we cant.

If you buy a game for your home console. Your kiddos are legally allowed to play it.

If you buy ten games for your console, then you buy 10 consoles, your friends can legally play each of those games on ten tvs in your house...

I assumed i was purchasing certian rights (as set by the current standard in gaming) but steam doesnt care about assumed rights to a purchased product. That is the part that is wrong... and i dont have other options.

Archived