The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Need to scream about STEAM

Oregon Canucky

gah!

i understand needing two copies to play the same game at the same time...

i understand what steam is doing about only letting the code go on one sign in...

i understand!

My argument is this. Please listen closely and understand that I am an upstanding adult that is NOT INTERESTED in piracy or screwing the system;

Lets leave my wife out of this... imagine its just me...

I go and buy two games at the store. they are "Fall Out" annd "D&D"

I come home with the disks and i instal them on my computer.

I tie them up to a steam account (that i was FORCED to make) Because there is no option to play without steam's "service".

Now i have two games on one account. no sweat.

I have two computers. I should be able to play D&D on one and fallout on the other. Even at the same time if i want because both products are registered to me and both discs were purchased by me.

I should be able to run back and forth from comp to comp and play these games at the same time because i purchased the right to play them. If i want to pause one and play the other that should be my right.

start with that and lets see if we agree with that much.

I understand what you want to do but you can't with "Steam Powered" games.

Steam requires an account to be tied to each license.

You can not be signed into Steam more than once at the same time.

The only way you can play D&D on one computer and Fallout on another at the same time is to have 2 Steam accounts and one game registered against 1 account, and 1 game registered against the other account.

Edit: BTW, how is Fallout?

Steam has lost me as a customer because to them: married couples might as well be pirates. =(

For now, weve learned our lesson. D&D on one account and Fall Out on the other... but i wont buy another steam game as long as I live because id have to make another steam account (in my opinion).

If i made an account for each game i bought, i could just name the accounts after the name of the game on that account. all of my accounts could all have the same password (have to clog up the world with a bunch of crapy gmail accounts though)... then i can can play one on my desktop while my wife plays the second desktop and my kid can play the laptop too!

Heck then ill even have one game per sign in so i could loan it to my friends if i felt like breaking rules (i dont).

Its just not right, and there isnt a darn thing i can do about it except make sure that couples know that steam games are a waste of their legal union. ha!

lol it took me forever to figure out what exactly it was the OP was trying to do...

So you bought physical copies of two different games, installed & tied them to a single Steam account, but you want to be able to play both of them at the same time (under the same account) but on different machines (again, under the same Steam account).

Unfortunately I don't think you'll ever be able to do that. As far as Steam is concerned, your two PCs need to have two separate Steam accounts. It doesn't care that you're married and that you consider your wife & yourself the same person; as far as Steam is concerned, you & your wife are two separate entities who cannot share games.

I know it sucks, especially when you bought physical copies of the two games.

This isn't even Steam's fault. It's your own fault for putting 2 of the same game on an account and not understanding how to use steam. Who the hell buys disk anyways? They're probably more expensive. Just wait for the steam sale, and you can probably buy both D n D and Fall out for around 5 bucks.

You only need 2 accounts. One for your wife and one for yourself. You don't need to continue making steam accounts, the only thing you need, if you buy disk is the serial code. You can keep the code, and throw away everything else and you'll still be able to play it. Go to the Games tab on the top, and click "Activate a product" and you're done. How hard is that? Don't even bother with the disk, you shouldn't need it.

This isn't even Steam's fault. It's your own fault for putting 2 of the same game on an account and not understanding how to use steam. Who the hell buys disk anyways? They're probably more expensive. Just wait for the steam sale, and you can probably buy both D n D and Fall out for around 5 bucks.

You only need 2 accounts. One for your wife and one for yourself. You don't need to continue making steam accounts, the only thing you need, if you buy disk is the serial code. You can keep the code, and throw away everything else and you'll still be able to play it. Go to the Games tab on the top, and click "Activate a product" and you're done. How hard is that? Don't even bother with the disk, you shouldn't need it.

LOL, this thread made me laugh so hard.

This is not Steam's fault, you need to read. Obviously when you install all your games ONTO ONE ACCOUNT, what in the hell did you expect?

Steam accounts are free to create, it's your own damn fault for being stupid and putting them all on one account when clearly there is more than one person playing those games. Since you two are a married couple, why wouldn't you just have more than one account and then share the info?

You do realize that the only way they can make sure people are playing games they've paid for is to have the games tied to an authenticated account. I'm not sure why that's hard to understand. Knowing this, it's pretty obvious that you shouldn't put games that two people would want to play at the same time on the same bloody account. Imagine the insanity if you could have multiple people logging into one account and sharing the games? I mean, have you even thought about how ridiculous that sounds?

The fact that you're complaining about shared achievements just makes me laugh. Of course the achievements will be shared, the bloody games are on a single account.

If you've had this problem for a while and continued putting games on one steam account, all I can do is laugh.

Lesson learned.

*edit*

Plus, if you would just think for a sec, you do realize that you can play in "offline mode" essentially nullifying the need to authenticate. If you're playing games like Fallout that do not need to be played on online servers or need online support, just play offline.

And why would you bother buying physical copies of games anymore? That's the beauty of steam: no need for stupid discs lying around everywhere.

okay i hadnt been back to this for a while, but i see some responses that still make me face palm...

You guys... I dont understand what you dont understand... its like talking to customer service.

I had never used steam before... had no idea what it was

I went to a store and bought 2 different games.

I came home and handed one to my wife and installed one myself.

I made a steam account and registered my game to my "name"

Wife asks if she should just put her (different game) on my account i just made...

I said sure, because i was under the impression that i was REGISTERING a game that you just play offline (like everything else ive encountered, except MMOs)

Suddenly I realize the mistake when we both cant play our own games at the same time...

I call steam and have HER game put on her account and keep mine on mine...

There... problem solved right?

NO...

IF i were to go buy ANOTHER steam game (dont worry i never will) Whos account should i put it on...?

If i put it on hers.... She cant play her old game if im playing the new one...

If i put it on my account, she cant play it if i want to play my old game...

SOOOOOO to save myself the decision of what fricking game goes where... i wont buy anymore steam games...

THAT will solve my problem.

I keep hearing mentions of OFFLINE mode and i could go look into it more, but if i were to say...

Start up "Game A" then go to Offline mode to play

can my wife go launch "Game B" (on my account) on her computer?

Lastly you guys that are just like "Well thats the way it is, deal with it"

Really kinda tick me off... No one should have that mentality. I understand the "Life isnt fair" mantra

but i dont understand why consumers should just accept being tea bagged because some pirate somewhere

stole money from Developers (new sim city comes to mind)...

Im not saying everyone should be able to log into the same account at the same time.. because YES obviously that does sound stupid. but if you had actually read my suggestions before shooting me down as an idiot (that needed to read (irony)) I gave examples of EASY ways to be inclusive of multiple gamer homes... ACCOUNT LINKING.

I dont see any problem with linking accounts of VERIFIED individuals. you can say OHH THATS SO EXPENSIVE FOR THEM WAH WAH WAH. Really? does it cost them 50 bucks to look at a faxed marriage license and link two accounts? Cause it sure as hell will cost me an extra fifty bucks to buy the game twice. >.< Maybe they can use all the money they saved (by not having to make packaging) to pay someone to link authentic accounts... lord knows they dont pass their savings onto you otherwise.

And yes i still buy games at the store. Theyre the same price and I can run to my corner store, by a disc, (with cash if i want) drive home AND get it installed faster than downloading it (proven by experiment with diablo 3)

Im just pointing a flaw with a a system that you all happily accept because you are not faced with the same situation. Never the less i know you all remember the days of playing a console game with your friends. You plugged in a couple remotes and you and your buddy played the day away. Now, More and more (solely in regard to console gaming), you can only do that with two copies of the game... and in two seperate houses. You really shouldnt be okay with the way the videogame industry is developing. its a multi BILLION dollar a year empire that just keeps wanting more. =(

Theyve lost my money and i could have been a paying customer (12 video game systems and a 100-300 dollar a month gaming budget). Ooopsies on you.

im totally just going to buy another playstation, set one up on my wife's desk and one on mine... hook them up to our HD 29 inch monitors and happily pass disks back and forth all day. OH OH, we could plug TWO controllers into the SAME PS3 and play a game TOGETHER (someone call the software pirate police)! wouldnt that be neat!?

You guys arent gonna think this is funny when you have teenage kids who want to play everything you play

but youll have to buy 4 copies of the same game so you, your wife and your two kids can all play games in your home... yay 200 dollar games (50x4)

wow... im old and jaded. HA!

I bet you have friends flocking to you for friendly and sound advice...

It isnt ideal to do offline mode, because i do care about unlockables and the ability to compare achievements with my wife. We cant play with our friends or access a lot of things in offline mode. Also, it would just feel shady... would Steam approve of me doing that?

Im not trying to "Complain" as you so put it, but rather give people who have girlfriends or teenage kids a heads-up. One day youre gonna meet a hot gamer chick, and when she moves in with you, she will come with a massive videogame collection... too bad you cant play any of them because of the modern movement in computer software DRM and always online games. dumb dumb dumb.

If you want to call people complainers you should look at the thousands of threads posted all the time with no real constructive solutions offered. Do you really feel wives shouldn't be allowed to play games you own (or worse, the other way around), cause that is the direction were headed.

however i should really grovel at your feet and thank you for your highly esteemed opinion on my situation.

Thanks for your time, i appreciate the oportunity to amuse you whilst you have nothing better to do. =P

Well, see, there were a number of people in this thread who did try and offer you some solutions, but you didn't even bother to look into them, and continue to say it's all Steam's fault. What more do you want? The solutions we gave you are the only ones available. Let's be honest here, you really just wanted to vent.

I'm just saying, there's a way to ask for help, and just bitching and moaning isn't going to garner you any fans. And in fact yes, a lot of my friends do come to me for advice. But that's neither here nor there.

See, I understand your plight, but the fact of the matter is that there is absolutely nothing that can be done to rectify the issue now since you have already tied your games to the same account. Sure, it may not be the ideal situation for a select few individuals like yourself, but for most people, the steam account system works just fine. And the honest truth is that most people who play games HAVE multiple accounts anyways, regardless of whether they are single or have a "hot gamer wife" or whatever.

What I don't understand is how you managed to put all those games on one account repeatedly. Did you not encounter this issue at one point before? And yet, you continued putting all your games onto one account? If that's the case it's really hard to have any sympathy for you here, because you continued banging your head on the brick wall.

Most people just don't read the agreements when they create and use a steam account, or they would have understood what happens when you tie a game to the account. I can understand that you may not have known the first time, but how did ALL your games end up on one account. Surely, you didn't buy them all at the same time?

By the way, you don't even need to tie non-steam games to your steam account. If you're buying physical copies of said games you can just play them as-is out of the box. Tying the games to your single steam account is just shooting yourself in the foot, really.

And I don't see what the big issue with playing offline is anyways. I mean, are achievements really that important? I don't know anyone who plays games for achievements.

no. i didnt do it over and over. I bought two games and put them on one account. Its switched to two accounts now, which is fine. But i cant buy more steam games because i would rather not have a library of games, than have games i can not play.

I am screaming about steam... yes im venting, im ranting, im ticked off because everyone says its so great... and that hasnt been my experience at all.

Was steam polite when i told them i put my wifes game on my account? Yes. they were. but that doesnt change the fact that digital games and software in general is held to a different standard of legal protection because we are paying for "liscense" to play...

That License used to mean you could expect a certain experience/rights. but things are changing and everyone seems so cool with it cause of all of the neat features DRM and always online gaming offers. Ill admit some of the features are cool... but i feel like were blinded to the fact that our rights have changed.

Its sort of like enacting a new rule in hockey to combat something, but not realizing what else that rule will cause to happen.

I feel like were heading for a slippery slope... one where EA and Steam get to say how we use software. we cant use our creativity to enact mods, and once they pull the plug on their support, we will have no access to our games...

Im just overall upset about how things are changing but maybe it IS just the old guy in me.

I didnt mean to piss anyone off, but im sure there are people out there (somewhere) who understand where im comming from and the point im TRYING to make.

Unfortunately more & more games will become tied to Steam. Not only that, more & more of them will require constant internet access. So realistically, using offline mode will only help the OP so much. And besides, he's not only talking about the two games that he has at the moment (which he has already moved to separate Steam accounts), but he's concerned about all those future games that he might be buying; games that he and his wife might both want to play.

I know it sucks, but it is the way it is. Doesn't make it right, but that's the reality. I have a rather large collection of Steam titles, so I know how annoyed I'd be if my gf suddenly wanted to play any one of them and me having to NOT PLAY while she's playing, OR having to buy a copy just for her.

Archived