The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What Made You A Canucks Fan?

Aladeen

I had a dream in 2002, woke up from it and been a fan since

the dream was that the mighty italian prophet would return as a canuck and Satan would be traded to the devils.. and that prophet would lead vancouver to a cup... the dream didn't say what year... but it has happened. After 11 years of waiting... the prophecy will be fulfilled

I had a dream in 2002, woke up from it and been a fan since

the dream was that the mighty italian prophet would return as a canuck and Satan would be traded to the devils.. and that prophet would lead vancouver to a cup... the dream didn't say what year... but it has happened. After 11 years of waiting... the prophecy will be fulfilled

Guest Pinchin

As a 70's kid growing up with a Dad who was a Habs fan I was bombarded with Habs propaganda. My first favorite player was Guy Lafleur and it was the merciless taunting of my school mates calling my favorite player Man Flower that eventually made me embrace my home team. By the 82 run I was a Canuck fan and Steamer was my idol. The rest is history. The 94 run made me cry...not because we lost though, I drove downtown to grab some friends stuck after the riot and the tear gas on their clothes made my eyes water excessively.

As a 70's kid growing up with a Dad who was a Habs fan I was bombarded with Habs propaganda. My first favorite player was Guy Lafleur and it was the merciless taunting of my school mates calling my favorite player Man Flower that eventually made me embrace my home team. By the 82 run I was a Canuck fan and Steamer was my idol. The rest is history. The 94 run made me cry...not because we lost though, I drove downtown to grab some friends stuck after the riot and the tear gas on their clothes made my eyes water excessively.

Don't know if i already answered back in february. Was a hockey fan here in the Netherlands...i followed the Canadian hockey teams with special interest but became a fan when Luongo arrived. Being in Vancouver during the Finals also helped a little bit :) Now if i could only live in Canada/Vancouver (rain isn't a problem for a dutchman ;))...

I was a Maple Leaf Fan growing up , before the canucks existed. Why TO? , my friends growing up moved from Quebec and were all habs fans. So I chose TO to have a lot of rivalry.

Then when the canucks were in the WHA/WHL?? my Dad stopped for a hitchhiker , on our way home from Vancouver to Britannia Beach ( on the way to Whistler). that hitchhiker was a Canuck player whose car broke down. We talked hockey and I started following the Canucks into the NHL and since then Have been a fan. I totally forget who that player was, But I was very impressed with his politeness and enthusiasm for playing with the Canucks. he was playing in his first year and was stoked for the opportunity to Play.

Wow, they are real people after all.

So i became a Canuck fan the first year of entry into the NHL. Still am !!! I still routed for TO for a few years as well, back then, but when they, Nucks, made the playoffs for the first time , I was hooked and still a Canucklehead at heart. Now I understand the Maplelaffs expression.

But in the playoffs my progression for cheering goes as follows:

Canucks

the next closest Canadain team

the last canadian team

then who cares, its Bettman's marketing rules ( I believe in conspiracy theories)!

Im Old...lol

I used to love hockey when I was a kid,,,I would wake up and tune in the leafs and Wings games back in the 60s,,,loved the Leafs back then,,,Mahovalich,Duff, Baun, Stanley,Horton ,Keon, Pulford, and many others,,,when the Nucks got a franchise in 1970,,,I could even tell you who they drafted in the expansion draft,,,my favourites back then were Rosaire Paiment,, tough bugger..fought Shultz and kelly many times and Bob Dilabough...anyway, I have been a fan for years,,,why stop now,,,but I would love to see a cup before I die...lol

I watched quite a bit of hockey with my father and mother during the early and mid 2000s (supposedly I watched the 94 cup run with them but I was way too young to remember it). Ha, I remember when we played Calgary in 2004 and it felt like kipper was just impossible for us to score against. Every time we'd lose a game to them in that series I'd run to my room yelling "I have to beat them", to my family, turning on my game console and playing my NHL game. I'd beat them every time. I'd brag to my family. They were not amused, considering it would have just followed a disheartening loss to them, in real life. Anyways, when I moved away from my father I stopped watching hockey for a while. Until our most recent cup run. For some reason I randomly told my mom that the playoffs were starting soon and that the Canucks were good this year, so we watched. It was amazing. I remember going downtown and being on Granville street and feeling the energy and comradery with random people I didn't even know, I had never felt anything like it. I was happy. The city was happy. The magic of that run was like a high, and when we lost in game seven I came crashing down. It felt awful. But the my love of hockey was restored during that run, and I've watched every single game, interview etc (bordering on obsession) since.

Edit: Sorry for the wall of text, don't have time to fix

This is actually a ridiculously cool thread. I mean, we may argue lots on this forum, but in the end, we are all Canucks fans. We all love the same thing. it's like a family almost.

We are all Canucks. Bask in the corniness of my comment. Go on, bask in it.

Threee things, I guess:

1) Geography (there's no NHL in Seattle, so...)

2) The '94 playoff run. Had my full attention once the Sonics were bounced out in the first round of the playoffs that year.

3) #16. Now, THAT'S my idea of an NHL captain. Still hard to believe the guy's a month younger than yours truly. You know, I still say the Canucks are a good-sized right-handed top 6 forward away from serious contention this year...

Archived