The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What Made You A Canucks Fan?

Aladeen

Born in the Lower Mainland, and the Canucks are 3 years younger than I am. I think the Canuck influence is why I like underdogs in sports. Canada, Cubs, Mariners, Seahawks, Canucks, The Grizzlies when they were in Vancouver (pout).

Growing up people liked Boston because of Bobby Orr, or Phil Esposito, then Clarke and the Flyers. I admired how skillful Montreal was, and how it seemed to be a team without weaknesses. Then after the 82 Cup run we were the punching bag for the Flames and the Oilers. It seemed every record Gretzky had was against Vancouver. Even Tanti and Neely couldn't do anything.

Then Neely was traded, now I was ticked, but I never dreamed Neely would be a Hall of Famer. I just didn't like seeing a local kid getting traded. I gave up. Then Pat Quinn came on the scene, and with some savvy trades, and drafting Bure and Linden, I started paying attention.

But one game in particular changed everything. Games on TV were rare. The Canucks were playing Montreal on Dec 4, 1992.

The Canucks played Montreal in the Forum, McLean stopped 50 shots and stood on his head and the Canucks won 3-0. The Habs were throwing EVERYTHING at Mclean.

The fans in Montreal were so classy they gave him a standing ovation. The fans in Montreal gave the VISITING team's goalie a freaking standing ovation!!! I finally started to believe, and I've been a hoping and believing fan ever since. I might get jaded once in a while. But I still love this team.

Born and raised in BC, in the orca years. Naslund, Bertuzzi, Morrison, Ohlund, Jovanoski, Cloutier, and a couple of young Swedish twins. Then the lockout hit right before highschool for me, and I didn't really pay much attention, not just to the Canucks, but to hockey in general. They won me over again in 2010-11, and I'm more of a fan now than ever.

When I came out to BC in 2000 for university, I was coming off several years of hating hockey. I was bitter for years due to the Jets leaving. Friend in dorm was a big Canucks fan. That got me interested again. Been a fan since.

Still miss the days of Trent Klatt in a Canucks uniform.

i self adopted babe pratt as a father...he got quite a kick out of that..i used to send him father's day momento's.....

babe came to smithers one day to speak at a sportman's dinner...when i got up to use the washroom, the mayor who was sitting beside babe called me over... he told babe that smither's had their own babe pratte.....this is joe pratte...babe jump up and gave me a hug and said, oh, i know joe...one of my great experiences...

In my honest opinion there has never been a more exciting team to watch in the span of my lifetime, from Bure and the 94 cup run, to Bertuzzi before the "incident" and now the Sedins and somewhat of a youth movement on the way. I've always been excited for this team minus the Messier years and I'm excited now for what the future holds for this team.

I love it, I don't care what Other fans say about us or even what we say about ourselves, there is no denying that the Canucks have a passionate fanbase and it's amazing that one corporate logo could give us all commonality :lol:

1) I was born and raised in Vancouver

2) I used to follow the Oilers during their dynasty and got extra excited when Messier came over (that sure went sideways)

3) my fav all time Canuck to watch was Bertuzzi and also loved watching Bure

It's real painful being a Canucks fan. All these years and we have been close only a couple times.

I was extremely lucky to have been in elementary school during the WCE years when there was so much excitement and hype in the city just for GETTING IN to the playoffs. I think Linden's return mixed with the emergence of the new young stars brought back fans of old while at the same time capturing a huge new generation of fans after those infamous dark years. Seeing some of the old YouTube clips of Mark Donnelly's pre-voice cracking national anthems still send chills down my spine. It was pretty cool as a kid to cheer for an underdog team that held its own against some of the great dynasties in hockey history. We had a great line but who would've thought a baby faced Henrik Sedin would stun Dominik Hasek in OT during the 2002 playoffs? Unbelievable memories watching those games with friends and playing street hockey after school imitating those guys.

Well geography plays a part in it obviously, but my dad is a canucks fan and he got me into it about a decade or so ago when I was 7 or 8 and I just really got into watching Naslund - Morrison - Bertuzzi light it up every night then the next thing I know, I'm watching hockey every game day since. I believe that was also Kesler's rookie season and my dad kept telling me when I get really into hockey, Kes is going to be a great player, and I say my dad was right on that. I do miss the days when it was the West Coast Express, Ohlund Jovo, Salo, Malik, Linden, Cooke, heck I even miss Cloutier a little.

Archived