The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What Made You A Canucks Fan?

Aladeen

I started playing hockey games at my cousin's house, he had NHL 96 or 97 on his sega. I use to always play as the Devils, and the mighty ducks and Coyotes when they still had the cartoonish logos (which i loved btw).

It wasnt till 2000s when i fell inlove with the team, the series with the Blues got me really into hockey but the series with the f7ames is what turned me into a die hard Canuck fan.

My first videogame was NHL 99 when I was four years old, I wanted to play as the team from Vancouver because I knew we had one. I actually cried because I couldn't figure out how to change it from Washington and Detroit. A few months later my dad's friend gave us tickets to the game, Canucks vs. Sharks, Canucks won and I remember it standing out because the Canucks wore their away (dark) jerseys at home. Been hooked ever since.

Lol I was too young to have anything admirable to think but it had to be the "spaghetti" jerseys... I played road hockey as a kid and loved wearing my white canucks jersey. All the kids from the neighborhood getting together on the streets and throwing our sticks in the middle of the road. Having the sticks tossed to either net. Everyone one had different jerseys on lol. Everyone was asked who they were before they played. "Im Greztky!" "Im MARIO LEMIEUX!" "IM THE RUSSIAN ROCKET!!!" "NO I AM!" hahaha I digress... Maybe all this time it was just an accident. One of the best accidents to ever happen in my favor.

PS Im from Surrey and they didnt have outdoor arenas lol ice doesnt last long on the coast.

Played a game between periods as a tyke. Did the Canucks breakfast with Linden, MacLean, Lidster etc. Had solid times with various Canuck players throughout my life at hockey camps, skill camps and training camps. Will never forget that.

I started watching them in the 06-07 season after Luongo became a Canuck and I remember how amazing he played that year. Later in the playoffs I was blown away by the excitement that you feel during a hockey game. Major reason for that was Luongo's play, he literally carried the team on his back through the first series and I remember staying up past midnight watching game 1 of the Stars series going to the 4th OT. But believe it or not I didn't become a die hard fan until Burrows scored that shorthanded goal against Carolina that turned the season around. That done it for me :towel:

I grew up here in the 'Couv and always saw Bure speeding past everyone scoring spectacular goals when I was really little. I tried to have him score every goal in NHL '98. When I became a more coherent human being it was the West Coast Express era and Markus Naslund was my hero because he was such an offensive force. Geography wasn't the only factor, we had some excellent players which caught my eye when I was young. I also like to represent where I'm from as a rule of thumb; why I support Arsenal in the EPL.

Luongo made me a true Canucks fan.

Before Luongo came to Vancouver, I was just fascinated with the atmosphere around the Canucks, such as gathering with people to watch games, having conversations about Canucks with friends and classmates.

However, with Luongo in net, I began to cherish the organization and to be proud of the fact that I am a Canuck, that I am able to cheer for a team with the best goaltender, and two of the best wingers with best chemistry in the world.

I'm proud to be a Canuck even to this day. :towel::towel::towel::towel::towel::towel::towel::towel::towel:

with a cowbell for a hand

the canucks were playing in the pchl and then whl before getting an nhl team...i rooted back when andy bathgate and larry popein still played for canucks before they were called up to the parent club, the rangers....we used to gather around the radio on saturday nights nights and listen to foster hewitt calling the games....six team league was so great....rocket richard, gordie howe, tim horton and my idol, alex fats delvecchio....

Love these stories of the past, Joe. I remember when we listened to Lions games the same way...we'd all be huddled (ha) in the kitchen with the radio on the counter on CKWX (if I recall correctly). To this day, my Dad still "watches" games with his eyes closed...a habit he never broke from the radio days. It's like he absorbs every play. Some great names you've thrown out there..

Love these stories of the past, Joe. I remember when we listened to Lions games the same way...we'd all be huddled (ha) in the kitchen with the radio on the counter on CKWX (if I recall correctly). To this day, my Dad still "watches" games with his eyes closed...a habit he never broke from the radio days. It's like he absorbs every play. Some great names you've thrown out there..

Archived