The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What Made You A Canucks Fan?

Aladeen

Thread of the year, Aladeen.

I moved to Vancouver from Winnipeg in 1989 for my first job out of University...was a diehard Jets and hardcore hockey fan at that time, but the company I worked for had a skybox at Pacific Coliseum, so I got to see 20+ games in the 1989-1990 season. That started me on the road to being a Canucks fan. Then the 1994 Cup run happened, and that's when I became a true Canucks fan. I had the good fortune of getting to a bunch of games from 1989 to 1997, which cemented my loyalties to the Canucks. I moved back to the west coast in 2005, and my allegiance to the Canucks has continued on.

I was just curious to see what made everyone here a Canucks fan.

I think that for most it will be geography.

For myself, my father was an immigrant that loved hockey, so we would watch it together all the time. I actually loved the Orange and Yellow of the old flying skate Jerseys and as a kid, this is what I based my favorite team on was their jerseys.

I grew up back east in TO and I was the only one I knew that wasn't a Leaf or a Canadiens fan. I guess maybe part of me wanted to be different.

Now that I live on the west coast it is even easier to follow them and be a fan of these guys.

Forever a Canuck! :towel:

Why are you a fan of the Canucks?

I complain and cry about refs.

I throw players under the bus after a loss,then worship them after a win

I enjoy vandalizing

I think CBC and TSN are out to get me

I generally overreact in every situation

So the choice was obvious

GCG

Was the '82 playoff run that got me hooked. Figured the team was really good and exciting. Cheering for them would be fun as they were awesome. Little did I know what the coming decade would bring.

I recall one game in particular in 90-91. Canucks were in Edmonton leading 2-1 in the 2nd. They were killing a penalty when Jay Mazur (anyone remember him?) picked off a pass and turned the other way with Igor Larionov. He passed to Igor who crossed the Oiler blue line, he then sent a perfect pass over to Mazer who roofed it. 3-1 good guys, good times.

Then came the 3rd period. The Oilers completely dominated our squad. They beat us up on the scoreboard and beat us up physically. The final was 6-3 Edmonton. I was having a conniption fit when my sister walked into the room. She looked at me, then looked at the tv and asked me "why do you cheer for those losers?". I didn't have a ready answer and she left the room.

I sat there thinking "why do I cheer for these losers?". The answer was, because one day it's going to get better. And having sat through all this crap will make it all that much sweeter when it does happen. We haven't got there yet, but I am a patient man.

:canucks::towel:

I was born a Canucks fan. My first memory is of watching the Canucks on tv with my dad. Watching the steamer, tiger, snepts, gradin. Not ever the most talented team but damn our team used to have so much heart. The 82 nucks had tons of character. Just always loved the team and always will.

I don't even know why, but for some reason the 1994 final, watching the Rangers win. It made me mad. I was really too young to care about one specific team. Being from Saskatchewan and all, I wasn't born into a fan base. Free to choose. I had a stint with the Avalanche when they became a team, because Patty Roy was my idol as a goalie, but it still didn't have the same feeling. I think the love for the Nucks just grew on me over time and I'll always reference the 1994 final, watching at my Grandparents house, just being such a sad day as the day the love bug for this team hit me.

been a fan since i was old enough to understand what was on tv. I remember my parents making me go to bed cuz it was too late. So I would listen to the game on my clock radio. I had every bure hockey card. Loved those days. Now Im turning 30 and I still get excited for a game. I dont miss a single one each year. The gf has come to accept this haha

When I was 16 years old and finally embraced my Canadian culture and sat down to watch the Canucks in the playoffs in 2004. I remember my friend pointed out a picture of Mattias Ohlund in my math textbook one day at school and asked if I knew who he was and I didn't have a clue. I then committed to watching the Canucks against the Flames in the first round in 2004 and was so thrilled. Still remember jumping up and down like a little kid when Morrison scored in triple overtime in Game 6. Also remember being depressed to death after Gelinas scored in OT in Game 7 after Cooke tied it up with 5 seconds left in the 3rd.

Been an avid fan ever since!

Born a nucks fan. First live game was in the womb. First real memory was sitting on my dads shoulders watching the players walk from the dressing room to the ice(good ol pac coliseum). Dad yells "GO STEAMER" and he looks over with a huge smile. Hooked since then.

'94 ripped my heart out. As amazing as that run was, it's the brutal pain in my stomach afterwards that I'll always remember most. Lafayette will always be a curse word around me...wide open net man!!! :picard:

All this talk about the 94 run brings back so many memories. I was crushed when they lost and to this day I still HATE the Rangers for no other reason then the fact that they beat Vancouver in game 7. Though ironically The loss in 2011 hurt worse then the one in 94 and I don't know why.....Maybe its because it so fresh or its because of the fact that the Bruins 'ruined' our perfect season or just maybe seeing Kesler crying on the ice is what did it, what ever the reason as upsetting as it was when the Canucks lost in 1994 it hurt worse in 2011. So has any other Older/long term Canuck fans experience the same thing?

I'd like to say Bure or Linden, but unfortunately they were before my time. (Born in 1988) I'm going to have to go with Bertuzzi or Naslund, they were the best when I first started rooting for the Canucks! I'm happy with the team we have now though, best Canucks team in my eyes. ::D

I'll be honest, I moved here in 2001 and vaguely remember seeing headlines about Wings lifting the Cup in 2002 but never really thought much of hockey (in Iran our sport is football). I started watching some games in 2008 and it slowly progressed until I began watching regularly in the 2009 playoffs against Chicago. I've been hooked ever since.

Archived