The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What Made You A Canucks Fan?

Aladeen

I honestly have no idea how I became a Canucks fan

I think I just decided to watch a game one day and everyday after that

Actually I think I became a fan after watching the 2009 series against the Hawks :blink:

haha i remember i was at tutoring while the game was on and so coming back home I had no idea what the score was. So walking home my friends and I noticed some guy had the game on his tv so we stopped by his house and we could see the game through the window. Anyway we probably stood there for maybe 10 seconds before this guy walk out onto his deck and notices us and then flips the bird...yeah we ran for it

when i was young and just starting to play hockey, my grandfather asked me if i had a favorite team. i said yes, the boston bruins. my favorite player was bobby orr.

my grandpa told me that vancouver now had its own team, the canucks, i should cheer for them.

i did.

mclean.jpg

The team colors and Kirk McLean. The year was 1992. Never looked back since. :wub:

I didn't know anything about what was happening in the NHL, being in Finland and all. No games were ever televised back then. Probably not even mentioned in the news, just about the depression, devaluation of the finnish mark (currency) and civil war in Africa. Maybe about records set by Selänne, but I can't remember that. A little later you could follow the results on Text-TV or teletext in NA(?).

The first encounter with a team called the Vancouver Canucks was a hockey card featuring Kirk McLean. Black, yellow and red with his mask well displayed did the job. I was a Canuck for life from that moment on.

My friend became a Panthers fan (loved the logo and colors) when they entered the league and we played endless seasons with the 'Nucks and Panthers every year on the EA NHL-series, street hockey, ice hockey, floorball etc, always battling VAN-FLA. You wouldn't believe the fuzz it's made during the years with the Bure -trade, McLean, Luongo, Bertuzzi, Jovanovksi and all that the players the teams have traded one another. :)

His interest in hockey has since faded. Mine hasn't - obviously.

I took one look at CDC and decided I had to join the small band on here who actually support all the players not just their favourites.

Apart from that it was the Twins, Luongo and the Club's huge place in the Community.

Further down the line it was the GM's approach. (despite times when I have not agreed with everything he did)

Lastly, being a Scot, I don't think I could have supported a team that had already won a SC. I like the idea of having a goal and striving for it.

Since then, I love the jerseys, I love the intro, I love the enthusiasm of the fans (not so much the suits in the arena though) and I like the fact our team sticks together win or lose.

People ask me this all the time as I live in the Chicago area...I get asked more so these days due to the big rivalry...

oh wait speaking of rivalry (derailing topic momentarily) I was listening to chicago sports radio and they had Patrick Sharp on and they asked him who the Hawks consider bigger rivals, the Redwings or the Canucks...he said "well the fans consider it the wings due to the long history, but as a player we think the Canucks are our biggest rival, due to the recent history and bad blood etc etc"

I thought that was rather interesting...

ok back on topic...(kinda boring story but hey you asked,,,,)

Back when i was in highschool 1990, I decided that I wanted to get into hockey as i watched some games and wanted to support a team. My best friend Alan was a huge sports guy and knew lots about sports especially hockey decided to help me and asked me what criteria i was looking for...

I said, first i wanted to support a Canadian team (I cannot stand Chicago fans and the Hawks didn't appeal to me anyway) as hockey is a Canadian sport...I didn't want to jump a band wagon however and support a team that I considered a dynasty type team that always had instant success (I was thinking of historic type teams as Canadians and Edmonton) so he mentions how about the Canucks...they usually make the playoffs so they were'nt a garbage franchise as he called it, and they weren't one of the superior storied franchises, and they had only been around since 1970...the kicker he mentioned was that they just drafted a player from Russia that was supposed to be a Phenom and he told me all about...Pavel Bure.

so i figured ok i would check out the Canucks starting the upcoming season when Bure became a rookie...and the rest is history.

Also on a sidenote i was there live in Chicago when Steve ???? Smith ruined his career...I HATE THAT GUY!!

that's my story. Thanks for reading if you made it this far. :blink:

Read an article in National Geographic several years ago when I was a little kid about Vancouver - The Magic City....and I fell in love with the city, the beauty of it all is just awe-inspiring...I was like 7 about this time...and it just happened I guess...one day I bought a copy of NHL Brett Hull Hockey 95 for the Super Nintendo, played like 10 games using the Vancouver team...became a great fan of Linden and Bure soon after and the rest is history...been a fan of the Canucks since I really knew what hockey was. :)

All this talk about the 94 run brings back so many memories. I was crushed when they lost and to this day I still HATE the Rangers for no other reason then the fact that they beat Vancouver in game 7. Though ironically The loss in 2011 hurt worse then the one in 94 and I don't know why.....Maybe its because it so fresh or its because of the fact that the Bruins 'ruined' our perfect season or just maybe seeing Kesler crying on the ice is what did it, what ever the reason as upsetting as it was when the Canucks lost in 1994 it hurt worse in 2011. So has any other Older/long term Canuck fans experience the same thing?

All this talk about the 94 run brings back so many memories. I was crushed when they lost and to this day I still HATE the Rangers for no other reason then the fact that they beat Vancouver in game 7. Though ironically The loss in 2011 hurt worse then the one in 94 and I don't know why.....Maybe its because it so fresh or its because of the fact that the Bruins 'ruined' our perfect season or just maybe seeing Kesler crying on the ice is what did it, what ever the reason as upsetting as it was when the Canucks lost in 1994 it hurt worse in 2011. So has any other Older/long term Canuck fans experience the same thing?

Although I felt it as strongly as the '94 deal, that one I wanted so badly for Trevor...he'd put his blood (literally), sweat and tears in. What led up to the game 7 loss and how it went down was just SO depleting...lol, I felt like I left it all out on the ice there with them too. This shot will forever sum it up for me.

trev.jpg

Holy huge image there.

There was great pride in the loss in how the Canucks had battled and came SO damn close.

I am just as connected to this team, likely because I attend more games now and really follow closely, so the recent playoff losses also hurt. But there was more a sense of anger and head shaking at the refs, how the team almost was stymied/shellshocked by the unfolding of events, etc. It took away from it for me in a sense that it wasn't a pure, just go out there and play way. The calls were horrible. And then some of the play was horrible. So it was very much a "what just happened there?" surreal sort of feeling that had a bit of a disconnect. It disintegrated wherein the '94 series was a battle the entire way through.

^Also, in reading the comment above - exactly. That really factors in as well - the bar was set alot higher and so were the expectations with that. Well said.

And have to say that I, too, LOVE these stories. That they include Grandpas and other countries. We are all Canucks for sure.

Pavel bure. Haven't havent stopped loving this team since. His first game was the coolest thing I saw as a 12 year old. Now I'm 32.. And still love them. Aside from Messier. This team has always been fun to watch. The bure era, the mogilny era era, the cloutier experiment, the west coast express era, the luongo/sedin era. I say we been lucky to have a team that has been rather competitive for the 20 years I been watching.. Yes we missed the playoffs a few times.. But who cares, it's not like we missed the playoffs every year.. Or get 3 first overall picks in a row..

LETS GO CANUCKS LETS GO

Living in Alberta in the 80's, everyone was a Flames or Oilers fan. I was invited to a social gathering when I was 14 and everyone was watching game 7 of the 1989 Canucks and Flames game. Joel Otto apparently kicked the puck in the net and the flames won that game en route to a Cup. I found this unfair for the Canucks and they found a place in my heart ever since.

Trevor Linden also went to my high school and I sat beside Bryan McCabe in Math Class......he missed a lot of Math.

For me I honestly can't remember when I become a fan of this team. My family wasn't really into hockey growing up. I have some early memories of hockey night in canada, but I couldnt tell you who was playing or who I was cheering for. It was most likely the Habs as my brother is a huge sports fan and loves them, he would have been the only one in my house who would turn to a hockey game.

I would say I didn't turn into a huge die hard fan until '07 or '08 when we got centre ice and I could follow the canucks. I was already a fan of them even though I didn't know anything about them. I probably couldn't have named anyone on the team(sad right!). Being from the Toronto area everyone I knew was into the leafs but even at a young age and not really understanding the sport I knew they sucked.I really wanted to support a Canadian team and I wanted to be different from my brother. I remember I had one those little plastic hockey sticks. Me and my brothers would play in the hall way. My stick was vancouver. I think I picked them as a team to cheer for because of that stick. My love for this team as grown since then more and more each year. :towel:

Pavel Bure. I was a kid growing up on Queen Charlotte Island (Haida Gwaii). We lived on a remote island an we couldn't get cable TV, so I would listen to CKNW with Tom and Shorty and then the post game show with Don Taylor. Radio reception was horrible where I lived, so I would often have to stand next to the radio, holding the antenna so that I could get signal. The excitement in Shorthouse and Larscheid's voices when Bure touched the puck was enough to make me a fan.

Archived